Mary Ann Fajvan
180 Canfield St.
Morgantown, WV 26505
Contact Mary Ann Fajvan
- In 2005-07 I established two new research projects using silvicultural treatments in an attempt to make stands more resistant to hemlock woolly adelgid (HWA) and beech bark disease. For HWA, I selected four non-infested hemlock stands on the Allegheny National Forest and designed a thinning study to reduce stand density and improve hemlock vigor before HWA attack. We are now expanding the study into New England. We will examine growth changes in released trees as well as monitor their foliar nutrient content over time. The objective of the beech bark disease study is to determine if visually resistant beech trees can serve as a source of resistant beech regeneration as part of the shelterwood regeneration method. The project is also on the Allegheny NF and involves using herbicides to eliminate nonresistant beech regeneration.
- Two other new studies involve (1) modeling tree regeneration height growth in oak shelterwood studies and (2) using dendrochronolgy to model growth in mature oak forests.
My research program focuses on studies of stand dynamics and silviculture in oak-dominated forests and associated hemlock forests in response to natural and human disturbances, including invasive species. I would like to develop new projects that examine the combined disturbance effects of exploitative harvesting practices, invasive species, and over browsing by white-tailed deer on stand development.
Why This Research is Important
My research examines the dynamics of how forests change in relationship to natural and human disturbances. Understanding these ecological trends assists scientists, managers and landowners in maintaining forest sustainability.
- University of Maine, Ph.D. Quantitative Silviculture, 1991
- Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, MS Silviculture, 1983
- Rutgers University, Cook College, BS Natural Resource Management, 1981
- Society of American Foresters
- Ecological Society of America
Featured Publications & Products
- Fajvan, Mary Ann; Bohall Wood, Petra. 2010. Maintenance Of Eastern Hemlock Forests: Factors Associated With Hemlock Vulnerability To Hemlock Woolly Adelgid.
- Rentch, James; Fajvan, Mary Ann; Evans, Richard A.; Onken, Brad. 2009. Using Dendrochronology To Model Hemlock Woolly Adelgid Effects On Eastern Hemlock Growth And Vulnerability.
- Fajvan, Mary Ann; Rentch, Jim; Gottschalk, Kurt W. 2009. The Effects Of Thinning And Gypsy Moth Defoliation On Wood Volume Growth In Oaks.
- Rentch, James; Fajvan, Mary Ann; Evans, Richard; Onken, Brad. 2008. Using Dendrochronology To Model Hemlock Woolly Adelgid Effects On Eastern Hemlock Growth And Vulnerability.
- Fajvan, Mary Ann. 2008. The Role Of Silvicultural Thinning In Eastern Forests Threatened By Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (Adelges Tsugae).
- Turcotte, Richard M.; Elliott, Thomas R.; Fajvan, Mary Ann; Park, Yong-Lak; Snider, Daniel A.; Tobin, Patrick C. 2012. Effects Of Ice Storm Damage On Hardwood Survival And Growth In Ohio.
- Brown, John; Lister, Andrew J.; Fajvan, Mary Ann; Ruefenacht, Bonnie; Mazzarella, Christine. 2012. Modeling Forest Ecosystem Changes Resulting From Surface Coal Mining In West Virginia.
- Fajvan, Mary Ann; Gottschalk, Kurt W. 2012. The Effects Of Silvicultural Thinning And Lymantria Dispar L. Defoliation On Wood Volume Growth Of Quercus Spp..
- DeLuca, Travis; Fajvan, Mary Ann; Miller, Gary. 2009. Diameter-Limit Harvesting: Effects Of Residual Trees On Regeneration Dynamics In Appalachian Hardwoods.
- Fajvan, Mary Ann; Rentch, Jim; Gottschalk, Kurt. 2008. The Effects Of Thinning And Gypsy Moth Defoliation On Wood Volume Growth In Oaks.
- Fajvan, Mary Ann; Fajvan, Mary Ann. 2006. Research On Diameter-Limit Cutting In Central Appalachian Forests.
- Marsh, Michael A.; Fajvan, Mary Ann; Huebner, Cynthia D.; Schuler, Thomas M.; Schuler, Thomas M. 2005. The Effects Of Timber Harvesting And Prescribed Fire On Invasive Plant Dynamics In The Central Appalachians.
- Brashears, Mark Benjamin; Fajvan, Mary Ann; Schuler, Thomas M. 2004. An Assessment Of Canopy Stratification And Tree Species Diversity Following Clearcutting In Central Appalachian Hardwoods.
- Dorsey, Wade; Fajvan, Mary Ann; Fajvan, Mary Ann. 2000. Effects Of Shelterwood Harvesting And Prescribed Fire On Regeneration Structure.
- Graves, Aaron T.; Fajvan, Mary Ann; Miller, Gary W. 2000. The Effects Of Thinning Intensity On Snag And Cavity Tree Abundance In An Appalachian Hardwood Stand.
- Schuler, Thomas M.; Fajvan, Mary Ann. 1999. Understory Tree Characteristics And Disturbance History Of A Central Appalachian Forest Prior To Old-Growth Harvesting.
- Fajvan, Mary Ann; Grushecky, Shawn T. 1997. The Effects Of Partial Cutting Practices On Forest Stand Structure In Appalachian Hardwood Forests.
- Gribko, Linda S.; Hilt, Donald E.; Fajvan, Mary Ann. 1995. A Generalized Ingrowth Model For The Northeastern United States.