Morris C. Johnson
Research Fire Ecologist
In my current research, I am evaluating the effects of fuel treaments on fire hazard and fire behavior, postdisturbance logging on fire hazard and fire behavior, and bark beetles on fire hazard and fire behavior.
Fire ecology, fuel treatments and fire behavior, and simulation modeling.
My past work includes studies of fuels planning and fuel treatments in dry forests of the Western United States and a fire hazard assessment and decomposition study of Washington State's Cedar River Municipal Watershed.
Why This Research is Important
My research helps fire and forest managers make informed decisions based on current scientifc information.
- University of Washington, Ph.D. Fire Ecology, 2008
- University of Washington, M.S. Siliviculture and Forest Protection, 2002
- Southern University, B.S. Urban Forestry, 1996
Featured Publications & Products
- Johnson, Morris C.; Kennedy, Maureen C; Peterson, David L. 2011. Simulating fuel treatment effects in dry forests of the western United States: testing the principles of a fire-safe forest.
- Johnson, Morris; Peterson, David L.; Raymond, Crystal. 2009. Fuel treatment guidebook: illustrating treatment effects on fire hazard.
- Johnson, Morris C.; Peterson, David L.; Raymond, Crystal L. 2007. Guide to fuel treatments in dry forests of the Western United States: assessing forest structure and fire hazard..
- Peterson, David L.; Johnson, Morris C.; Agee, James K.; Jain, Theresa B.; McKenzie, Donald; Reinhardt, Elizabeth D. 2005. Forest structure and fire hazard in dry forests of the Western United States.
- Johnson, Morris C.; Peterson, David L. 2005. Forest fuel treatments in western North America: merging silvicultural and fire management..
Publications & Products
- Halofsky, Jessica E.; Hart, Stephanie K.; Hemstrom, Miles A.; Halofsky, Joshua S.; Johnson, Morris C. 2014. Chapter 3: Simulating fire hazard across landscapes through time: integrating state-and-transition models with the Fuel Characteristic Classification System.
- Johnson, Morris C.; Halofsky, Jessica E.; Peterson, David L. 2013. Effects of salvage logging and pile-and-burn on fuel loading, potential fire behaviour, fuel consumption and emissions.
- Hicke, Jeffrey A; Johnson, Morris C.; Hayes, Jane L.; Preisler, Haiganoush K. 2012. Effects of bark beetle-caused tree mortality on wildfire.
- Peterson, David L.; Johnson, Morris C.; Agee, James K.; Jain, Theresa B.; McKenzie, Donald; Reinhardt, Elizabeth D. 2003. Fuels planning: Managing forest structure to reduce fire hazard.
|Scientists Study Salvage Logging After a Major Windstorm|
These results illustrate potential differences between the effects of salvage logging after windstorms and the effects of salvage logging after ...