Team Leader/Research Ecologist
320 Green Street
Athens, GA 30602-2044
Contact Mac Callaham
I am interested in ecosystem and community level responses of southern forests to management practices such as prescribed fire and mechanical thinning. I am particularly interested in how carbon and nitrogen dynamics are affected by these practices. Also of interest are the responses of invertebrate communities (e.g. earthworms, herbivorous insects, etc.) these land management practices, and how changes in invertebrate assemblages may lead to changes in other components of forest systems (e.g. nutrient relationships, plant-herbivore relationships).
- Kansas State University, Ph.D. Biology,
- University of Georgia, M.S. Agronomy,
- University of Georgia, B.S. Zoology,
- University of Georgia, B.A. English,
Featured Publications & Products
- Lilleskov, Erik; Callaham, Jr. Mac A.; Pouyat, Richard; Smith, Jane E.; Castellano, Michael; Gonzalez, Grizelle; Lodge, D. Jean; Arango, Rachel; Green, Frederick. 2010. Invasive soil organisms and their effects on belowground processes.
- Callaham, M.A., Jr. 2009. Grunting for worms: reactions of Diplocardia to seismic vibrations.
- O'Brien, J.J.; Callaham, M.A., Jr. 2009. Interactions among overstory structure, seedling life history traits and fire in frequently burned neotropical pine forests.
- Kitchen, D.J.; Blair, J.M.; Callaham, M.A. , Jr. 2009. Annual fire and mowing alter biomass, depth distribution, and C and N content of roots in soil in tallgrass prairie.
- Callaham, M.A. 2008. Pandora’s box contained bait: The global problem of introduced earthworms.
Publications & Products
- McFarlane, Karis J.; Torn, Margaret S.; Hanson, Paul J.; Porras, Rachel C.; Swanston, Christopher W.; Callaham, Mac A.; Guilderson, Thomas P. 2013. Comparison of soil organic matter dynamics at five temperate deciduous forests with physical fractionation and radiocarbon measurements.
- Gambrell, Horace E.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Wang, G. Geoff; Callaham, Mac A.; Bridges, William C. 2013. Fuel dynamics across southern Appalachian landscapes.
- Stottlemyer, Aaron D.; Wang, G. Geoff; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Wells, Christina E.; Callaham, Mac A. 2013. Short-term effects of fuel reduction treatments on soil mycorrhizal inoculum potential in beetle-killed stands.
- Callaham, Mac A., Jr..; Stanturf, John A.; Hammond, William J.; Rockwood, Donald L.; Wenk, Evelyn S.; O’Brien, Joseph J. 2013. Survey to evaluate escape of Eucalyptus spp. seedlings from plantations in southeastern USA.
- Callaham, Mac A., Jr..; Scott, D. Andrew; O’Brien, Joseph J.; Stanturf, John A. 2012. Cumulative effects of fuel management on the soils of eastern U.S.
- van Vliet, P.C.J.; Hendrix, P.F.; Callaham, M.A., Jr. 2012. Soil Fauna: Earthworms.
- Callaham, M.A., Jr..; Crossley, D.A., Jr..; Coleman, D.C. 2012. Soil Fauna: Macroarthropods.
- Callaham, Mac A., Jr..; Rhoades, Charles C.; Heneghan, Liam. 2008. A striking profile: Soil ecological knowledge in restoration management and science.
- Heneghan, Liam; Miller, Susan P.; Baer, Sara; Callaham, Mac A., Jr..; Montgomery, James; Pavao-Zuckerman, Mitchell; Rhoades, Charles C.; Richardson, Sarah. 2008. Integrating soil ecological knowledge into restoration management.
- Callaham, M.A. 2008. Integrating soil ecological knowledge into restoration management.
- Callaham, M.A., Jr. 2008. Special Section: Soil Ecology and Restoration Ecology.
- DiCosty, Ralph J.; Callaham, Mac A.; Stanturf, John A. 2006. Atmospheric deposition and re-emission of mercury estimated in a prescribed forest-fire experiment in Florida, USA.
- Callaham, Mac A., Jr..; Gonzalez, Grizelle; Hale, Cynthia M; Henegham, Liam; Lachnicht, Sharon L.; Zou, Xiaoming. 2006. Policy and management responses to earthworm invasions in North America.
- Phillips, Ross J.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Chapman, Gregg L.; Mohr, Helen H.; Callaham, Mac A.; Flint, Charles T., Jr. 2004. Effects of Fuel-Reduction Techniques on Vegetative Composition of Piedmont Loblolly-Shortleaf Pine Communities: Preliminary Results of the National Fire and Fire Surrogate Study.
- Callaham, Mac A., Jr..; Anderson, Peter H.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Lione, Darren J.; Shelburne, Victor B. 2004. Litter Decomposition and Soil Respiration Responses to Fuel-Reduction Treatments in Piedmond Loblolly Pine Forests.
- Callaham, Mac A., Jr..; Whiles, Matt R.; Blair, John M. 2002. Annual Fire, Mowing and Fertilization Effects on Two Cicada Species (Homoptera: Cicadidae) in Tallgrass Prairie.
- Callaham, Mac A., Jr..; Stewart, Arthur J.; Alarcon, Clara; McMillen, Sara J. 2002. Effects of Earthworm (Eisenia fetida) and Wheat (Triticum aestivum) Straw Additions on Selected Properties of Petroleum-Contaminated Soils.
- Callaham, Mac A., Jr..; Blair, John M. 2001. Different behavioral patterns of the earthworms Octolasion tyrtaeum and Diplocardia spp. in tallgrass prairie soils: potential influences on plant growth.