Matt D. Busse
Research Social Scientist, Team Leader
1731 Research Park
Davis, CA 95618
- Carbon dioxide efflux, effects of competing vegetation and soil nutrient availability on microbial respiration (Garden of Eden experiment).
- Symbiotic N fixation by bitterbrush and ceanothus in eastside pine forests.
- Changes in microbial activity and soil nutrient pools in response to manipulation of understory vegetation.
- Long-term forest sustainability following thinning, prescribed fire, and fertilization.
- Effect of organic matter content and soil porosity on decomposition processes (LTSP study).
To improve our understanding of nutrient cycling processes in managed forests. My work focuses on the regulation of soil carbon and nitrogen cycling by bacterial and fungal communities. Applied research projects are designed to provide new knowledge on the function of microorganisms in relation to forest sustainability.
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Soil Microbiology, 1989
- University of Nebraska, M.S. Soil Microbiology, 1984
- Calfornia Polytechnic State University, B.S. Soil Science, 1981
- Research Microbiologist, PSW Station
1995 - Present
- Ecologist, USDA, Forest Service, PNW Regional Ecology Program
1992 - 1995
- Research Microbiologist - post doctoral, USDA, Forest Service, PNW
1989 - 1991
Publications & Products
- Busse, Matt D.; Hubbert, Ken R.; Moghaddas, Emily E. Y. 2014. Fuel reduction practices and their effects on soil quality.
- Haynes, Alan G.; Schutz, Martin; Buchmann, Nina; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Busse, Matt D.; Risch, Anita C. 2014. Linkages between grazing history and herbivore exclusion on decomposition rates in mineral soils of subalpine grasslands.
- Wirthner, Sven; Schutz, Martin; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Busse, Matt D.; Kirchner, James W.; Risch, Anita C. 2012. Do changes in soil properties after rooting by wild boars (Sus scrofa) affect understory vegetation in Swiss hardwood forests?.
- Ponder Jr., Felix; Fleming, Robert L.; Berch, Shannon; Busse, Matt D.; Elioff, John D.; Hazlett, Paul W.; Kabzems, Richard D.; Kranabetter, J. Marty; Morris, David M.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Palik, Brian J.; Powers, Robert F.; Sanchez, Felipe G.; Scott, D. Andrew; Stagg, Richard H.; Stone, Douglas M.; Young, David H.; Zhang, Jianwei; Ludovici, Kim H.; McKenney, Daniel W.; Mossa, Debbie S; Sanborn, Paul T.; Voldseth, Richard A. . 2012. Effects of organic matter removal, soil compaction and vegetation control on 10th year biomass and foliar nutrition: LTSP continent-wide comparisons.
- Powers, Robert F.; Busse, Matt D.; McFarlane, Karis J.; Zhang, Jianwei; Young, David H. 2012. Long-term effects of silviculture on soil carbon storage: does vegetation control make a difference?.
- Knapp, Eric; Varner, J. Morgan; Busse, Matt; Skinner, Carl; Shestak, Carol. 2011. Behaviour and effects of prescribed fire in masticated fuelbeds.
- Risch, Anita; Wirthner, Sven; Busse, Matt; Page-Dumroese, Deborah. 2010. Grubbing by wild boars (Sus scrufa L.) and its impact on hardwood forest soil carbon dioxide emissions in Switzerland.
- Busse, Matt. 2010. Site quality changes in response to slash retention and prescribed fire in thinned ponderosa pine forests.
- Busse, Matt; Shestak, Carol; Hubbert, Ken; Knapp, Eric. 2010. Soil physical properties regulate lethal heating during burning of woody residues.
- Busse, Matt D.; Cochran, P.H.; Hopkins, William E.; Johnson, William H.; Riegel, Gregg M.; Fiddler, Gary O.; Ratcliff, Alice W.; Shestak, Carol J. 2009. Developing resilient ponderosa pine forests with mechanical thinning and prescribed fire in central Oregon's pumice region.
- Rabin, Lawrence A.; Oliver, William W.; Powers, Robert F.; Ritchie, Martin, W..; Busse, Matt, D..; Knapp, Eric E. 2009. Historical growth plots in the Pacific Southwest.
- Busse, Matt D.; Riegel, Gregg M. 2009. Response of antelope bitterbrush to repeated prescribed burning in Central Oregon ponderosa pine forests.
- Busse, Matt D.; Sanchez, Felipe G.; Ratcliff, Alice W.; Butnor, John R.; Carter, Emily A.; Powers, Robert F. 2009. Soil carbon sequestration and changes in fungal and bacterial biomass following incorporation of forest residues.
- Busse, Matt D.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Powers, Robert F. 2007. Contribution of actinorhizal shrubs to site fertility in a northern California mixed pine forest.
- Zhang, Jianwei; Oliver, William W.; Busse, Matt D. 2006. Growth and development of ponderosa pine on sites of contrasting productivities: relative importance of stand density and shrub competition effects.
- Busse, Matt D.; Beattie, Samual E.; Powers, Robert F.; Sanchez, Filpe G.; Tiarks, Allan E. 2006. Microbial community responses in forest mineral soil to compaction, organic matter removal, and vegetation control.
- Busse, Matt D.; Beattie, Samual E.; Powers, Robert F.; Sanchez, Felipe G.; Tiarks, Allan E. 2006. Microbial community responses in forest mineral soil to compaction, organic matter removal, and vegetation control.
- Busse, Matt D.; Hubbert, Ken R.; Fiddler, Gary O.; Shestak, Carol J.; Powers, Robert F. 2005. Lethal soil temperatures during burning of masticated forest residues.
- Busse, Matt D.; Riegel, Gregg M. 2005. Managing ponderosa pine forests in central Oregon: who will speak for the soil?.
- Busse, Matt D.; p Fiddler, Gary O.; Ratcliff, Alice W. 2004. Ectomycorrhizal formation in herbicide-treated soils of differing clay and organic matter content.
- Busse, Matt D.; Ratcliff, Alice W.; Stestak, Carol J.; Powers, Robert F. 2001. Glyphosate toxicity and the effects of long-term vegetation control on soil microbial communities.
- McKelvey, K.S.; Busse, K.K. 1996. Twentieth-century fire patterns on forest service lands.
|Scientists Study the Effects of Pile Burning in the Lake Tahoe Basin|
Burning piles of conifer slash is a common fuel reduction practice in forests of the western United States that may detrimentally effect soil a ...