J. Michael Bowker
Research Social Scientist
320 Green Street
Athens, GA 30602-2044
Contact J. Michael Bowker
Recreation demand; benefit valuation of recreation and wilderness; impacts of recreation on local economies; wildlife-fishery management economics; recreation use, user fees, policy; recreation forecasting.
- Texas A&M University, Ph.D. Ag & Resource Econ., 1987
Featured Publications & Products
- Poudyala, Neelam C.; Siry, Jacek P.; Bowker, J.M. 2011. Quality of urban forest carbon credits.
- Johnson Gaither, C.; Poudyal, N.C.; Goodrick, S.; Bowker, J.M.; Malone, S. 2010. Wildland fire risk and social vulnerability in the Southeastern United States: An exploratory spatial data analysis approach..
- Poudyal, Neelam C.; Siry, Jacek P.; Bowker, J. M. 2010. Urban forests' potential to supply marketable carbon emission offsets: a survey of municipal governments in the United States.
- Kim, S.G.; Bowker, J.M.; Cho, S.H.; Lambert, D.M.; English, D.B.K.; Starbuck, C.M. 2010. Estimating Travel Cost Model: Spatial Approach.
- Gill, Joshua K.; Bowker, J.M.; Bergstrom, John C.; Zarnoch, Stanley J. 2010. Accounting for trip frequency in importance-performance analysis.
Publications & Products
- Bowker, J. M.; Askew, Ashley; Cordell, H. Ken; Bergstrom, John C. 2013. Outdoor recreation.
- Bowker, J.M.; Askew, Ashley E. 2013. Outlook for outdoor recreation in the northern United States. A technical document supporting the Northern Forest Futures Project with projections through 2060.
- Green, Gary T.; Bowker, J.M.; Wang, X.F.; Cordell, K.; Johnson, C. 2012. A National Study of Constraints to Participation in Outdoor Recreational Activities.
- Poudyal, N.; Johnson-Gaither, C.; Goodrick, S.; Bowker, J.M.; Gan, J. 2012. Locating Spatial Variation in the Association between Wildland Fire Risk and Social Vulnerability across Six Southern States.
- Poudyal, Neelam C.; Siry, Jacek P.; Bowker, J. M. 2012. Market-Based Approaches toward the Development of Urban Forest Carbon Projects in the United States.
- Bowker, J.M.; Askew, Ashley E.; Cordell, H. Ken; Betz, Carter J.; Zarnoch, Stanley J.; Seymour, Lynne. 2012. Outdoor recreation participation in the United States - projections to 2060: a technical document supporting the Forest Service 2010 RPA Assessment.
- Poudyal, N. C.; Siry, J. P.; Bowker, J. M. 2012. Stakeholders’ engagement in promoting sustainable development: Businesses and urban forest carbon.
- Poudyal, Neelam C.; Bowker, J. M.; Green, Gary T.; Tarrant, Michael A. 2012. Supply of Private Acreage for Recreational Deer Hunting in Georgia.
- Bowker, J.M.; Askew, Ashley. 2012. U.S. Outdoor Recreation Participation Projections to 2060.
- Zarnoch, Stanley J.; Bowker, J.M.; Cordell, H. Ken. 2011. A mixed-modes approach for estimating hiking on trails through diverse forest landscapes: the case of the Appalachian Trail.
- Zarnoch, Stan; Bowker, Michael; Cordell, Ken; Owens, Matt; Green, Gary T.; Ginn, Allison. 2011. Appalachian National Scenic Trail pilot survey.
- Siry, J.; Bettinger, P.; Merry, K.; Bowker, J. 2011. Assessing the feasibility of dedicated urban forestry carbon markets in the United States.
- Poudyal, Neelam C.; Bowker, J.M.; Green, Gary. T.; Hodges, Donald G. 2011. Modeling the impact of changes in land use and socio-cultural patterns from urbanization of recrecreational fishing.
- Poudyal, Neelam C.; Siry, Jacek; Bowker, J.M. 2011. Urban Forests and Carbon Markets: Buyers’ Perspectives.
- Green, G.T.; Bowker, J.M.; Wang, X.; Cordell, H.K.; Johnson, C.Y. 2009. An Examination of Perceived Constraints to Outdoor Recreation.
- Bowker, J.M.; Starbuck, C.M.; English, D.B.K.; Bergstrom, J.C.; Rosenburger, R.S.; McCollum, D.C. 2009. Estimating the Net Economic Value of National Forest Recreation: An Application of the National Visitor Use Monitoring Database.
- Poudyal, N.; Siry, J.; Bowker, M. 2009. Factors influencing current interests and motivations of local governments to supply carbon offset credits from urban forestry.
- Bowker, J.M.; Askew, A.; Seymour, L.; Zhu, J.P.; English, D.; Starbuck, C.M. 2009. Wilderness Recreation Demand: A Comparison of Travel Cost and On-Site Cost Models.
|Study Projects Outdoor Recreation Levels in the United States to 2060|
Changes in climate, socioeconomic conditions, and land use, along with population growth will affect future outdoor recreation activity in the U ...