Matthew B. Dickinson
359 Main Road
Delaware, OH 43015
Current ResearchTree injury and mortality in wildland fires
Closing the wildland fire heat budget
Instrument development for wildland fire monitoring
Fire radiation measurements Active wildfire monitoring
Prescribed Fire Combustion and Atmospheric Dynamics Research Experiments (RxCADRE)
Fuel ecology: fuels, fire, and vegetation response to wildland fire
Biophysical fire ecology
Linking fire behavior with fire effects
Active fire monitoring
Why This Research is Important
Wildland fire management (both of wildfires and prescribed fires) is a central task of the US Forest Service, accounting for a large portion of its budget and the work of its employees. Colleagues’s and my research focuses on developing fundamental understanding of fire dynamics and resulting fire effects with the goals of improving both the state of the science and its application to management.
Featured Publications & Products
- Butler, Bret W.; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2010. Tree injury and mortality in fires: developing process-based models.
- Dickinson, Matthew B.; Ryan, Kevin C. 2010. Introduction: Strengthening the foundation of wildland fire Effects prediction for research and management.
- Stephan, Kirsten; Miller, Melanie; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2010. First-order fire effects on herbs and Shrubs: present knowledge and process modeling needs.
- Reinhardt, Elizabeth D.; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2010. First-order fire effects models for land Management: Overview and issues.
- Kremens, Robert L.; Smith, Alistair M.S.; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2010. Fire metrology: Current and future directions in physics-based measurements.
Publications & Products
- Cannon, Jeffery B.; O'Brien, Joseph J.; Loudermilk, Louise; Dickinson, Matthew; Peterson, Chris J. 2014. The influence of experimental wind disturbance on forest fuels and fire characteristics.
- Dickinson, M.B.; Johnson, E.A.; Artiaga, R. 2013. Fire spread probabilities for experimental beds composed of mixedwood boreal forest fuels.
- Chatziefstratiou, Efthalia K.; Bohrer, Gil; Bova, Anthony S.; Subramanian, Ravishankar; Frasson, Renato P.M.; Scherzer, Amy; Butler, Bret W.; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2013. FireStem2D A two-dimensional heat transfer model for simulating tree stem injury in fires.
- Schroeder, Wilfrid; Ellicott, Evan; Ichoku, Charles; Ellison, Luke; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Ottmar, Roger D.; Clements, Craig; Hall, Dianne; Ambrosia, Vincent; Kremens, Robert. 2013. Integrated active fire retrievals and biomass burning emissions using complementary near-coincident ground, airborne and spaceborne sensor data.
- Hyde, Kevin; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Bohrer, Gil; Calkin, David; Evers, Louisa; Gilbertson-Day, Julie; Nicolet, Tessa; Ryan, Kevin; Tague, Christina. 2013. Research and development supporting risk-based wildfire effects prediction for fuels and fire management: Status and needs.
- Stout, Susan L.; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Nowacki, Gregory J. 2012. The hot continental division: Oak forests, fire, and ecosystem management frame fuels management questions.
- Bova, A.S.; Bohrer, G.; Dickinson, Matthew. 2011. A model of gas mixing into single-entrance tree cavities during wildland fires.
- Kavanaugh, Kathleen L.; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Bova, Anthony S. 2010. A way forward for fire-caused tree mortality prediction: Modeling a physiological consequence of fire.
- Dickinson, M.B.; Norris, J.C.; Bova, A.S.; Kremens, R.L.; Young, V.; Lacki, M.J. 2010. Effects of wildland fire smoke on a tree-roosting bat: integrating a plume model, field measurements, and mammalian dose-response relationships.
- Song, Conghe; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Su, Lihong; Zhang, Su; Yaussey, Daniel. 2010. Estimating average tree crown size using spatial information from Ikonos and QuickBird images: Across-sensor and across-site comparisons.
- Hardy, Colin C.; Kremens, Robert; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2010. Modern developments for ground-based monitoring of fire behavior and effects.
- Suciu, Loredana; Bova, Anthony S.; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Dyer, Jim; Kremens, Robert; Young, Valerie L. 2009. Airborne fire monitoring--extraction of active fire fronts from time-sequence imaging of the Arch Rock fire in southeast Ohio.
- Bova, Anthony S.; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2009. An inverse method to estimate stem surface heat flux in wildland fires.
- Dickinson, Matthew B.; Lacki, Michael J.; Cox, Daniel R. 2009. Fire and the endangered Indiana bat.
- Lacki, Michael, J..; Cox, Daniel R.; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2009. Meta-analysis of summer roosting characteristics of two species of Myotis bats.
- Bova, Anthony; Dickinson, Matthew. 2009. Modeling the protection afforded by burrows, cavities, and roosts during wildland surface fires.
- Lacki, Michael J.; Cox, Daniel R.; Dodd, Luke E.; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2009. Response of northern bats (Myotis septentrionalis) to prescribed fires in eastern Kentucky forests.
- Dickinson, Matthew; Bova, Anthony; Kavanagh, Kathleen; Randolph, Antoine; Band, Lawrence. 2009. Surface fire effects on conifer and hardwood crowns--applications of an integral plume model.
- Bova, Anthony S.; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2008. Beyond "fire temperatures": calibrating thermocouple probes and modeling their response to surface fires in hardwood fuels.
- Song, C.; Dickinson, M.B. 2008. Extracting forest canopy structure from spatial information of high resolution optical imagery: tree crown size versus leaf area index.
- Kremens, Robert; Bova, Anthony; Dickinson, Matthew; Faulring, Jason; McNamara, Shari. 2006. Estimating fire behavior from overhead imagery in eastern oak forests.
- Dickinson, Matthew B., ed. 2006. Fire in eastern oak forests: delivering science to land managers.
- Yaussy, Daniel A.; Hutchinson, Todd; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Rebbeck, Joanne. 2006. Fire research on the Raccoon Ecological Management Area.
- Dickinson, Matthew B.; Bova, Anthony S. 2006. Hardwood stem injury and mortality in surface fires.
- Jones, Joshua L.; Webb, Brent W.; Butler, Bret W.; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Jimenez, Daniel; Reardon, James; Bova, Anthony S. 2006. Prediction and measurement of thermally induced cambial tissue necrosis in tree stems.
- Bova, Anthony S.; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2006. Thermocouple probes in surface fires.
- Rebbeck , Joanne; Yaussy, Daniel; Iverson, Louis; Hutchinson, Todd; Long, Robert; Bova, Anthony; Dickinson, Matthew. 2006. Use of temperature-sensitive paints as an index of heat output from fire.
- Bova, A.S.; Dickinson, M.B.; Dickinson, M.B. 2005. Linking surface-fire behavior, stem heating, and tissue necrosis.
- Wildman, Richard A., Jr.; Hickey, Leo J.; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Berner, Robert A.; Robinson, Jennifer M.; Dietrich, Michael; Essenhigh, Robert H.; Wildman, Craig B. 2004. Burning of forest materials under late Paleozoic high atmospheric oxygen levels.
- Yaussy, Daniel A.; Dickinson, Mathew B.; Bova, Anthony S. 2004. Prescribed Surface-fire Tree Mortality in Southern Ohio: Equations Based on Thermocouple Probe Temperatures.
- Dickinson, Matthew B.; Johnson, Edward A. 2004. Temperature-dependent rate models of vascular cambium cell mortality.
- Dickinson, M.B.; Jolliff, J.; Bova, A.S. 2004. Vascular cambium necrosis in forest fires: using hyperbolic temperature regimes to estimate parameters of a tissue-reponse model.
- Bova, Anthony S.; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2003. Surface fires and stem mortality: physical connections.
- Dickinson, M. B. 2002. Heat transfer and vascular cambium necrosis in the boles of trees during surface fires.
- Dickinson, M.B.; Whigham, D.F.; Whigham, D.F. 1999. Regeneration of mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) in the Yucatan.
- Dickinson, Matthew B.; Dickinson, Joshua C.; Putz, Francis E.; Putz, Francis E. 1996. Natural forest management as a conservation tool in the tropics: divergent views on possibilities and alternatives.
|More Realistic Model of Tree Trunk Heating and Injury in Wildland Fires Now Available|
Forest Service scientists developed new models of tree-stem heating that are the most physically realistic to date to predict tree mortality mor ...