Mike A Battaglia
240 West Prospect Road
Fort Collins, CO 80526
Contact Mike A Battaglia
1) Understanding the short and long-term ecological responses of mastication fuels reduction treatments in woodlands, dry, and moist forests.
2) Developing, implementing, and evaluating the irregular uneven-aged silvicultural system as a viable method for creating resilient forests.
3) Identifying spatially explicit reference conditions for ponderosa pine and dry mixed conifer forest of the Colorado Front Range and the Black Hills for restoration prescription development.
4) Assessing spatially heterogeneous forest structure impact on fire behavior.
5) Characterizing patterns of tree regeneration following large wildfires.
6) Utilizing long-term growth studies to validate and calibrate the Forest Vegetation Simulator.
I am interested in developing and implementing innovative management strategies that address the challenges and issues faced by forest managers. These research interests include forest restoration, fuel hazard mitigation, and increasing forest resilience to disturbance across multiple spatial scales.
1) Synthesizing manager’s knowledge/experience and scientific literature of implementing hazardous fuels treatments practices in ponderosa
pine/mixed conifer forests.
2) Post-wildfire recovery.
3) Fire-induced mortality thresholds of ponderosa pine seedlings and saplings.
4) Fuel succession and regeneration dynamics.
5) Understanding the interaction of mountain pine beetle and management strategies on fuel dynamics, forest structure, and potential fire behavior.
Why This Research is Important
Historically, silviculture was often synonymous with timber production; however, contemporary silviculturists manage forests for other objectives such as wildlife habitat, increased resilience to disturbances and climate change, water, recreation, and aesthetics. Practitioners require science-based knowledge to design treatments that achieve these objectives. Because of the uncertainty in the impacts of climate change to our forests, research is needed to determine the effects of various management alternatives and adapt silvicultural strategies, systems, and practices to sustain and enhance the productivity of our forested ecosystems.
- University of South Carolina, BS Biology, 1995
- Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, MS Forestry, 2000
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Ph.D. Forest Science; Silviculture/Fire, 2007
- Research Forester, RMRS
2011 - Current
- Postdoctoral Ecologist, RMRS
2007 - 2011
- Silvicultural Research Associate, Contractor with RMRS
2001 - 2004
- Association for Fire Ecology, Member (2007 - Current)
Attend and Present at Conferences.
- International Association of Wildland Fire, Member (2007 - Current)
Attend and Present at Conferences.
- Society of American Foresters, Member (1997 - Current)
Attend and Present at Conventions.
Featured Publications & Products
- Jain, Theresa B.; Battaglia, Mike A.; Han, Han-Sup; Graham, Russell T.; Keyes, Christopher R.; Fried, Jeremy S.; Sandquist, Jonathan E. 2012. A comprehensive guide to fuel management practices for dry mixed conifer forests in the northwestern United States.
- Collins, B. J.; Rhoades, C. C.; Battaglia, M. A.; Hubbard, R. M. 2012. The effects of bark beetle outbreaks on forest development, fuel loads and potential fire behavior in salvage logged and untreated lodgepole pine forests.
- Collins, Byron J.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Battaglia, Michael A. 2011. Tree regeneration and future stand development after bark beetle infestation and harvesting in Colorado lodgepole pine stands.
- Battaglia, Mike A.; Rocca, Monique E.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Ryan, Michael G. 2010. Surface fuel loadings within mulching treatments in Colorado coniferous forests.
- Battaglia, Mike; Smith, Frederick W.; Shepperd, Wayne D. 2009. Predicting mortality of ponderosa pine regeneration after prescribed fire in the Black Hills, South Dakota, USA.
Publications & Products
- Collins, Bryon J.; Rhoades, Chuck C.; Battaglia, Michael A.; Hubbard, Robert M. 2012. Effects of salvage logging on fire risks after bark beetle outbreaks in Colorado lodgepole pine forests.
- Rhoades, C. C.; Battaglia, M. A.; Rocca, M. E.; Ryan, M. G. 2012. Short- and medium-term effects of fuel reduction mulch treatments on soil nitrogen availability in Colorado conifer forests.
- Klutsch, Jennifer G.; Battaglia, Mike A.; West, Daniel R.; Costello, Sheryl L.; Negron, Jose F. 2011. Evaluating potential fire behavior in lodgepole pine-dominated forests after a mountain pine beetle epidemic in north-central Colorado.
- Sharik, Terry L.; Adair, William; Baker, Fred A.; Battaglia, Michael; Comfort, Emily J.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Delong, Craig; DeRose, R. Justin; Ducey, Mark J.; Harmon, Mark; Levy, Louise; Logan, Jesse A.; O'Brien, Joseph; Palik, Brian J.; Roberts, Scott D.; Rogers, Paul C.; Shinneman, Douglas J.; Spies, Thomas; Taylor, Sarah L.; Woodall, Christopher; Youngblood, Andrew. 2010. Emerging themes in the ecology and management of North American forests.
- Battaglia, Mike A.; Nelson, Kellen; Kashian, Dan; Ryan, Michael G. 2010. Forest biomass and tree planting for fossil fuel offsets in the Colorado Front Range.
- Seidenberg, Joseph; Springer, Judy; Nicolet, Tessa; Battaglia, Mike; Vothja, Christina. 2009. Southwest Ecological Restoration Institutes (SWERI) Biophysical Monitoring Workshop Report.
- Lezberg, Ann L.; Battaglia, Michael A.; Shepperd, Wayne D.; Schoettle, Anna W. 2008. Decades-old silvicultural treatments influence surface wildfire severity and post-fire nitrogen availability in a ponderosa pine forest.
- Battaglia, Michael A.; Shepperd, Wayne D. 2007. Ponderosa pine, mixed conifer, and spruce-fir forests [Chapter 2].
- Battaglia, Michael A.; Dodson, Jonathan M.; Shepperd, Wayne D.; Platten, Mark J.; Tallmadge, Owen M. 2005. Colorado Front Range fuel photo series.
- Pecot, Stephen D.; Horsley, Stephen B.; Battaglia, Michael A.; Mitchell, Robert J. 2005. The influence of canopy, sky condition, and solar angle on light quality in a longleaf pine woodland.
- Battaglia, Michael A.; Mitchell, Robert J.; Mou, Paul P.; Pecot, Stephen D. 2003. Light transmittance estimates in a longleaf pine woodland.
- Shepperd, Wayne D.; Battaglia, Michael A. 2002. Ecology, siliviculture, and management of Black Hills ponderosa pine.
- Battaglia, Michael A.; Mou, Pu; Palik, Brian; Mitchell, Robert J. 2002. The effect of spatially variable overstory on the understory light environment of an open-canopied longleaf pine forest.