860 North 1200 East
Logan, UT 84321
Contact Matt Hansen
- The influence of bark beetles outbreaks on fuel loadings and fire behavior in southwestern ponderosa pine (ongoing).
- The influence of mountain pine beetle outbreaks on carbon dynamics in lodgepole pine ecosystems in the central U.S. Rockies Part lll: Remotely sensed data (planned).
- Prepupal diapause in mountain pine beetle (ongoing).
- Effects of bark beetle outbreaks on ecosystem functioning
- Temperature-driven processes affecting bark beetle life cycles
- Bark beetle trapping strategies
- Bark management including semichemical and silvicultural treatment
Why This Research is Important
Bark beetles are the most important disturbance agents of western conifer forests, with more area impaced annually than wildfires. All forest values (fiber production, watershed, recreation, etc.) are substantially affected by bark beetle disturbance. Additional research is needed to enable prediction of bark beetles outbreaks in space and time so that management strategies can be initiated early. Greater understanding of outbreak effects on ecological processes will enable enlightened management of beetles and the forest they infest: negative impacts can be mitigated and positive impacts encouraged or mimicked through vegetation treatments. Novel strategies are needed to increase efficacy of management strategies.
- Utah State University, MS Forest Ecology, 2000
- Utah State University, BS Forestry (cum laude), 1986
- Entomologist, United States Forest Serivce Rocky Mountain Research Station
2001 - 2013
- Biological Technician, United States Forest Service Rocky Mountain Research Station
2002 - 2005
- Forestry Technician (Insects), Forest Health Protection, Ogden UT
1998 - 2002
- Fire, Timber Sales, Regen Surveys, Forest Inventory, Administration, United States Forest Service, National Forest Systems, Region 1,2,3, and 4
1989 - 1997
Awards & Recognition
- Certificate of Merit, 2005
United States Forest Service
- Certificate of Merit, 1991
United States Forest Service
Featured Publications & Products
- Bentz, Barbara J.; Regniere, Jacques; Fettig, Christopher J.; Hansen, E. Matthew; Hayes, Jane L.; Hicke, Jeffrey A.; Kelsey, Rick G.; Negron, Jose F.; Seybold, Steven J. 2010. Climate change and bark beetles of the western United States and Canada: Direct and indirect effects.
Publications & Products
- Gillette, Nancy E.; Hansen, E. Matthew; Mehmel, Constance J.; Mori, Sylvia R.; Webster, Jeffrey N.; Erbilgin, Nadir; Wood, David L. 2012. Area-wide application of verbenone-releasing flakes reduces mortality of whitebark pine Pinus albicaulis caused by the mountain pine beetle Dendroctonus ponderosae.
- Hansen, E. Matthew; Bentz, Barbara J.; Powell, James A.; Gray, David R.; Vandygriff, James C. 2011. Prepupal diapause and instar IV developmental rates of the spruce beetle, Dendroctonus rufipennis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae, Scolytinae).
- Hansen, E. Matthew; Negron, Jose F.; Munson, A. Steven; Anhold, John A. 2010. A retrospective assessment of partial cutting to reduce spruce beetle-caused mortality in the southern Rocky Mountains.
- Bentz, Barbara; Logan, Jesse; MacMahon, Jim; Allen, Craig D.; Ayres, Matt; Berg, Ed; Carroll, Allan; Hansen, Matt; Hicke, Jeff; Joyce, Linda; Macfarlane, Wallace; Munson, Steve; Negron, Jose; Paine, Tim; Powell, Jim; Raffa, Ken; Regniere, Jacques; Reid, Mary; Romme, Bill; Seybold, Steven J.; Six, Diana; Tomback, Diana; Vandygriff, Jim; Veblen, Tom; White, Mike; Witcosky, Jeff; Wood, David. 2009. Bark beetle outbreaks in western North America: Causes and consequences.
- Negron, Jose F.; Bentz, Barbara J.; Fettig, Christopher J.; Gillette, Nancy; Hansen, E. Matthew; Hayes, Jane L.; Kelsey, Rick G.; Lundquist, John E.; Lynch, Ann M.; Progar, Robert A.; Seybold, Steven J. 2008. US Forest Service bark beetle research in the western United States: Looking toward the future.
- Hansen, E. Matthew; Vandygriff, Jim C.; Cain, Robert J.; Wakarchuk, David. 2006. Comparison of naturally and synthetically baited spruce beetle trapping systems in the central Rocky Mountains.
- Hansen, E. Matthew; Bentz, Barbara J.; Munson, A. Steven; Vandygriff, James C.; Turner, David L. 2006. Evaluation of funnel traps for estimating tree mortality and associated population phase of spruce beetle in Utah.
- Hansen, E. Matthew; Bentz, Barbara J. 2003. Comparison of reproductive capacity among univoltine, semivoltine, and re-emerged parent spruce beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae).