Team Leader / Research Ecologist
271 Mast Road
Durham, NH 03824
Contact Lindsey Rustad
Current ResearchOverarching research interests: Effects of anthropogenic disturbances on forested ecosystems of Northeastern North America, with an emphasis on acidic deposition and climate change.
- NE Forests 2100: The effects of climate change on forest ecosystems of the northeastern United States and Eastern Canada.
- A cross site study of fine root response to experimentally elevated N deposition.
- Understanding the impacts of ice storms on forest ecosystems of the northeastern United States and Eastern Canada. (pilot stage)
- Decadal-scale effects of experimental N additions on biogeochemical processes at the Bear Brook Watershed in Maine.
- Continued synthesis of existing data and efforts to increase communication and collaboration amongst regional, national and international global change scientists.
- Evaluation of the effects of ice storms on forests of the northeastern United States.
- Evaluation of the single and interactive effects of chronic N additions and drought on fine root dynamics in northern forest ecosystems.
Why This Research is Important
An overwhelming scientific consensus exists that 20th century human activities have induced dramatic and unprecedented changes in the earth's chemical and physical environment. As such, the response of terrestrial ecosystems to this global phenomenon has been the subject of intense scientific scrutiny over the past several decades. Although much has been learned about terrestrial ecosystem response to these perturbations (e.g. climate change, acidic deposition), urgent and immediate needs remain to continue to build a sound scientific basis for regional, national and international policies regulating such things as carbon sequestration, greenhouse gas emissions, and atmospheric deposition of nitrogen, sulfur, and mercury. In order to meet these complex needs in a timely fashion, a growing consensus exists within the scientific community that it will be necessary to better integrate observational, experimental, and modeling techniques into a unified multidisciplinary approach to understanding ecosystem response to global change.
- University of Maine, Ph.D. Plant Science, 1988
- Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, M.F.S. Forest Science, 1983
- Cornell University, B.A. Philosophy, 1980
- Soil Science Society of America
- Ecological Society of America
Featured Publications & Products
- Pardo, L.H.; Templer, P.H.; Goodale, C.L.; Duke, S.; Groffman, P.M.; Adams, M.B.; Boeckx, P.; Boggs, J.; Campbell, J.; Colman, B.; Compton, J.; Emmett, B.; Gundersen, P.; Kjonaas, J.; Lovett, G.; Mack, M.; Magill, A.; Mbila, M.; Mitchell, M.J.; McGee, G.; McNulty, S.; Nadelhoffer, K.; Ollinger, S.; Ross, D.; Rueth, H.; Rustad, L.; Schaberg, P.; Schiff, S.; Schleppi, P.; Spoelstra, J.; Wessel, W. 2006. Regional assessment of N saturation using foliar and root δ15N.
- Fernandez, Ivan J.; Rustad, Lindsey E.; Norton, Stephen A.; Wiersma, G. Bruce; Kahl, J. Stephen. 2005. The Bear Brook Watershed in Maine ? Decadal Responses to Whole Forest Ecosystem Manipulations.
- McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny; Aber, John D.; Rustad, Lindsey; Magill, Allison. 2005. Red spruce ecosystem level changes following 14 years of chronic N fertilization.
- Elvir, Jose Alexander; Rustad, Lindsey; Wiersma, G. Bruce; Fernandez, Ivan; White, Alan S.; White, Gregory J. 2005. Eleven-year response of foliar chemistry to chronic nitrogen and sulfur additions at the Bear Brook Watershed in Maine.
- Jefts, Sultana; Fernandez, Ivan J.; Rustad, Lindwey E.; Dail, D. Bryan. 2004. Decadal responses in soil N dynamics at the Bear Brook Watershed in Maine, USA.
Publications & Products
- Campbell, John L.; Rustad, Lindsey E.; Porter, John H.; Taylor, Jeffrey R.; Dereszynski, Ethan W.; Shanley, James B.; Gries, Corinna; Henshaw, Donald L.; Martin, Mary E.; Sheldon, Wade. M.; Boose, Emery R. 2013. Quantity is nothing without quality: Automated QA/QC for streaming sensor networks.
- Rustad, Lindsey E.; Campbell, John L. 2012. A novel ice storm manipulation experiment in a northern hardwood forest.
- Rustad, Lindsey; Campbell, John; Dukes, Jeffrey S.; Huntington, Thomas; Fallon Lambert, Kathy; Mohan, Jacqueline; Rodenhouse, Nicholas. 2012. Changing climate, changing forests: The impacts of climate change on forests of the northeastern United States and eastern Canada.
- Crowley, K.F.; McNeil, B.E.; Lovett, G.M.; Canham, C.D.; Driscoll, C.T.; Rustad, L.E.; Denny, E.; Hallett, R.A.; Arthur, M.A.; Boggs, J.L.; Goodale, C.L.; Kahl, J.S.; McNulty, S.G.; Ollinger, S.V.; Pardo, L.H.; Schaberg, P.G.; Stoddard, J.L.; Weand, M.P.; Weather, K.C. 2012. Do nutrient limitation patterns shift from nitrogen toward phosphorus with increasing nitrogen deposition across the northeastern United States?.
- Groffman, Peter M.; Rustad, Lindsey; Templer, Pamela H.; Campbell, John; Christenson, Lynn M.; Lany, Nina K.; Socci, Anne M.; Vadeboncoeur, Matthew A.; Schaberg, Paul; Wilson, Geoffrey F.; Driscoll, Charles T.; Fahey, Timothy J.; Fisk, Melany C.; Goodale, Christine L.; Green, Mark B.; Hamburg, Steven P.; Johnson, Chris E.; Mitchell, Myron J.; Morse, Jennifer L.; Pardo, Linda H.; Rodenhouse, Nicholas L. 2012. Long-term integrated studies show complex and surprising effects of climate change in northern hardwood forests.
- Neary, Daniel; Hayes, Deborah; Rustad, Lindsey; Vose, James; Gottfried, Gerald; Sebesteyn, Stephen; Johnson, Sherri; Swanson, Fred; Adams, Mary. 2012. US Forest Service Experimental Forests and Ranges Network: a continental research platform for catchment-scale research.
- Campbell, John L.; Rustad, Lindsey E.; Boyer, Elizabeth W.; Christopher, Sheila F.; Driscoll, Charles T.; Fernandez, Ivan .J.; Groffman, Peter M.; Houle, Daniel; Kiekbusch, Jana; Magill, Alison H.; Mitchell, Myron J.; Ollinger, Scott V. 2009. Consequences of climate change for biogeochemical cycling in forests of northeastern North America.
- Rustad, Lindsey; Campbell, John; Cox, Roger; Dukes, Jeffrey; Huntington, T.G.; Magill, Allison; Richardson, Andrew; Mohan, Jacqueline; Pontius, Jennifer; Rodenhouse, N.R.; Watson, M.R. 2009. NE Forests 2100: A synthesis of climate change impacts on forests of the northeastern US and eastern Canada.
- Rustad, Lindsey E. 2008. The response of terrestrial ecosystems to global climate change: Towards an integrated approach.
- Fernandez, Ivan J.; Rustad, Lindsey E.; Norton, Stephen A.; Kahl, Jeffrey S.; Cosby, Bernard J. 2003. Experimental Acidification Causes Soil Base-Cation Depletion at the Bear Brook Watershed in Maine.
- Rustad, L.E.; Campbell, J.L.; Marion, G.M.; Norby, R.J.; Mitchell, M.J.; Hartley, A.E.; Cornelissen, J.H.C.; Gurevitch, J. 2001. A meta-analysis of the response of soil respiration, net nitrogen mineralization, and aboveground plant growth to experimental ecosystem warming.
- Aber, John; McDowell, William; Nadelhoffer, Knute; Magill, Alison; Berntson, Glenn; Kamakea, Mark; McNulty, Steven; Currie, William; Rustad, Lindsey; Fernandez, Ivan. 1998. Nitrogen Saturation in Temperate Forest Ecosystems.
|Changing Climate, Changing Forests|
Effects of climate change on forests of the Northeastern United States and Eastern Canada