Linda E. Kruger, Ph.D.
Research Social Scientist
Juneau Forestry Sciences Laboratory
11305 Glacier Highway
Contact Linda E. Kruger, Ph.D.
Research topics include individual and community health, wellness, and well-being benefits of spending time in nature, tourism and recreation planning and community capacity, place-based conservation, stewardship and collaborative partnerships, volunteer programs, participatory research, tourism best management practices, climate change and resilient communities, traditional Alaska Native relations with the land and effects of climate change and social change on Alaska Native populations.
Health and wellness/well-being benefits of spending time in nature, volunteering, collaboration and partnerships, traditional knowledge of change.
My past work has focused on sense of place, attachment to place, and place-based planning; community preparedness for wildland fire; community resilience and well-being; and Alaska resident recreation.
Why This Research is Important
People care about specific places and want to be included in decisionmaking for those places. Public health and escalating health care costs are of increasing concern to society. People, including seniors and retirees, want to stay physically, mentally, and socially engaged through participation in outdoor activities and give back to society by volunteering on public lands. Recreation and volunteering on public lands contribute to improved public health and reduced health care costs. Commercial tourism operators prefer proactive involvement in developing and self-policing pratices on public lands.
- University of Washington, Ph.D. Forestry/ Social Sciences 1996
- Antioch University, Seattle, M.A. Whole Systems Design 2003
- University of Michigan, B.S. Natural Resource Management 1976
Awards & Recognition
- PNW Nominee for Chief's Honor Award Promoting Recreation, 2008
For working to enhance opportunities in the development of recreation and tourism, and for identifying meaningful ways to engage the public and generate an understanding of these activities and their role in community well-being.
- Society for Human Ecology, 2008
Distinguished Leadership Award
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2007
For outstanding leadership during the tranistion to a new team leader in Seattle
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2005
For leadership in defining a program of social science work for Alaska
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2005
For excellence in contributions to the Communities and Forest Management book
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2004
For contributions as a Team Leader in the high level of performance of PNW 4865 - FY 04
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2003
For contributions to the management of a highly productive research program
- Chief's Multicultural Organization Individual Award, 2002
Cheif's Toward a Multicultural Organization Award
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2002
For participation in collecative activities that serve as an example of how collaboration can improve the wellbeing of one of the Station's Lab Communities
- Certificate of Appreciation, 2002
for leadership and high achievement
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2001
For major contributions to the Forest Service and the public, by bringing several major ressearch projects to completion, and represting the Research Station in helping to create important contacts with underserved populations
- Extra Effort Award, 2001
for leadership and achievement
- PNW Toward a Multicultural Organization, 2000
PNW Toward a Multicultural Organization Award
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2000
For outstanding work in representing Forest Service Research in planning the 8th International Symposium on Society and Resource Management in Bellingham, WA June 17-22,2000
- PNW Research Science Findings Award, 1999
"Getting to know you: Accessing community knoweldge"
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 1999
For exception effort to include Social Sciences language in the Forest Service Manual to implement the Report of the Committee of Scientists, "Sustaining the People's Land"
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 1998
In recognition of your superior performance
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 1997
In recognition of your superior performance to the Peopleand Natural Resources Program
- PNW Fullfilling the Vision Award, 1993
For exemplifying flexibility, responsivenss, participation, quality, and humanism; and promoting understanding of the PNW Station
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 1993
For outstanding contributions to the People and Natural Resouces Program and the Consortium for Social Values of Natural Resources
- Scholarship, 1991
Southeast Alaska Tourism Council Terry Miller Scholarship for a paper written on the complexity of resource management related to tourism and recreation in Southeast Alaska
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 1991
In recognition for yoiur outstanding job in planning and conducting the Canadian Forest Land Use Liaison Committee Field Trip
- Scholarship, 1990
Southeast Alaska Tourism Council Terry Miller Scholarship for a paper written on the value aqnd significance of tourism and recreation in Southeast Alaska
- USDA Certificate of Appreciation, FS Alaska Region, 1989
For continuous, effective coordination as an Alaska State Parks and Outdoor Recreation Cooporator over more than a decade of successful negotiations and collaboration with the Forest Service in Southeast Alaska
Featured Publications & Products
- Morse, Wayde c.; Hall, Troy E.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2008. Improving The Integration Of Recreation Management With Management Of Other Natural Resources By Applying Concepts Of Scale From Ecology.
- Hall, Troy E.; Heaton, Heather; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2009. Outdoor Recreation In The Pacific Northwest And Alaska: Trends In Activity Participation.
- Wolf, Kathleen L.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2010. Urban Forestry Research Needs: A Participatory Assessment Process.
- Farnum, Jennifer O.; Kruger, Linda E., eds. 2008. Place-Based Planning: Innovations And Applications From Four Western Forests..
- Prestemon, Jeff; Kruger, Linda; Abt, Karen L.; Bowker, Michael; Brandeis, Consuelo; Calkin, Dave; Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Ham, Charlotte; Holmes, Thomas P.; Kline, Jeffrey; Warziniack, Travis. 2016. Economics And Societal Considerations Of Drought.
- Pomeranz, Emily F.; Needham, Mark D.; Kruger, Linda E. 2015. Perceptions Of Stakeholders Regarding Wilderness And Best Management Practices In An Alaska Recreation Area.
- Stewart, William P.; Williams, Daniel R.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2013. Conclusion: From Describing To Prescribing--Transitioning To Place-Based Conservation Chapter 18.
- Monroe, Martha C.; Agrawal, Shruti; Jakes, Pamela J.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D..; Nelson, Kristen C.; Sturtevant, Victoria. 2013. Identifying Indicators Of Behavior Change: Insights From Wildfire Education Programs.
- Pomeranz, Emily F.; Needham, Mark D.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2013. Stakeholder Perceptions Of Collaboration For Managing Nature-Based Recreation In A Coastal Protected Area In Alaska.
- Pomeranz, Emily F.; Needham, Mark D.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2013. Stakeholder Perceptions Of Indicators Of Tourism Use And Codes Of Conduct In A Coastal Protected Area In Alaska.
- Williams, Daniel R.; Stewart, William P.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2013. The Emergence Of Place-Based Conservation Chapter 1.
- Jordan, E.J.; Vogt, C.A.; Kruger, Linda; Grewe, N. 2013. The Interplay Of Governance, Power And Citizen Participation In Community Tourism Planning.
- Gordon, Ryan; Mallon, Angela; Maier, Carolin; Kruger, Linda, Ph.D..; Shindler, Bruce. 2012. Building A Citizen-Agency Partnership Among Diverse Interests: The Colville National Forest And Northeast Washington Forestry Coalition Experience.
- Zegre, Sera J.; Needham, Mark D.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D..; Rosenberger, Randall S. 2012. Mcdonaldization And Commercial Outdoor Recreation And Tourism In Alaska.
- Wilson, Patrick Impero; Hall, Troy E.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2012. Riparian Area Protection And Outdoor Recreation: Lessons From The Northwest Forest Plan.
- Amsden, Benoni L.; Stedman, Richard C.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2011. The Creation And Maintenance Of Sense Of Place In A Tourism-Dependent Community.
- Watson, Alan; Ostergren, Dave; Fix, Peter; Overbaugh, Bill; McCollum, Dan; Kruger, Linda, Ph.D..; Madsen, Martha; Yang, He. 2009. Protecting Ecotourism Resources In A Time Of Rapid Economic And Environmental Transformation In Asia.
- Mekbeb, E.T.; Lilieholm, R.J.; Blahna, D.J.; Kruger, L.E., Ph.D. 2009. Resource Use, Dependence And Vulnerability: Community-Resource Linkages On Alaska'S Tongass National Forest.
- Jakes, Pamela; Kruger, Linda, Ph.D..; Monroe, Martha; Nelson, Kristen; Sturtevant, Victoria. 2007. Improving Wildfire Preparedness: Lessons From Communities Across The U.S.
- Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D..; Williams, Daniel R. 2007. Place And Place-Based Planning..
- Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D..; Mazza, Rhonda; Lawrence, Kelly, eds. 2007. Proceedings: National Workshop On Recreation Research And Management..
- Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D..; Mazza, Rhonda L. 2006. Alaska Communities And Forest Environments: A Problem Analysis And Research Agenda..
- Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2005. Community And Landscape Change In Southeast Alaska..
- Farnum, Jennifer; Hall, Troy; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2005. Sense Of Place In Natural Resource Recreation And Tourism: An Evaluation And Assessment Of Research Findings..
- Mazza, Rhonda; Kruger, Linda E., tech. eds. 2005. Social Conditions And Trends In Southeast Alaska..
- Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D..; Alexander, Susan J. 2004. Improving Our Understanding Of Recreation And Tourism..
- Cheng, Antony S.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D..; Daniels, Steven E. 2003. "Place" As An Integrating Concept In Natural Resource Politics: Propositions For A Social Science Research Agenda..
- McCool, Stephen F.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2003. Human Migration And Natural Resources: Implications For Land Managers And Challenges For Researchers..
- Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D..; Jakes, Pamela J. 2003. The Importance Of Place: Advances In Science And Application..
- Kruger, Linda E., tech. ed. 2003. Understanding Community-Forest Relations..
- Graham, Amanda C.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D. 2002. Research In Adaptive Management: Working Relations And The Research Process..
- Fight, Roger D.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D..; Hansen-Murray, Christopher; Holden, Arnold; Bays, Dale. 2000. Understanding Human Uses And Values In Watershed Analysis..
- Brunson, Mark W.; Kruger, Linda E., Ph.D..; Tyler, Catherine B.; Schroeder, Susan A., tech. eds. 1996. Defining Social Acceptability In Ecosystem Management: A Workshop Proceedings; 1992 June 23-25; Kelso, Wa..
|Scientists Grapple with the Commercialization of Nature-based Activities|
For the recreation and tourism industry in Alaska, the implications of this study reflect the trade-off between tighter control of tourism activ ...