Lisa M. Holsinger
790 East Beckwith Avenue
Contact Lisa M. Holsinger
I am an Ecologist specializing in design, implementation and analyses of geospatial and attribute data for fire ecology research directed towards understanding landscape-level interactions between changing climate, fire regimes, vegetation, fuel management and fish community responses.
My research interests include evaluating the long-term effects of climate change and fire on water temperatures and native fish populations using spatially explicit simulation modeling integrated with field observations.
Understanding fire and fish population dynamics will help provide the ability to predict potential thresholds in fire risk and scales at which to expect recvoery in stream temperatures and fish communities, in time and space, under various fire and climate regimes across a landscape. Given that climate change appears to be affecting both fire patterns and air temperature (a good predictor of water temperature), tools like simulation modeling will assist managers in predicting changes in the distribution of fire and the influence of fire management on native fishes.
Why This Research is Important
Past research includes evaluating the effects of fuel treatments using FVS for their influence on the intensity and severity of unplanned wildfires and for their influence on forest carbon emissions; evaluating statistical metrics for describing landscape characteristics and departures from baseline historical conditions; predicting landscape level changes in vegetation under changing climate with varying fire regimes; and developing methods for the LANDFIRE project to produce geospatial data.
- University of California, Davis, Biology , 1984
- University of Washington, Fisheries , 1988
Featured Publications & Products
- Keane, Robert E.; Loehman, Rachel A.; Holsinger, Lisa M. 2011. The Firebgcv2 Landscape Fire And Succession Model: A Research Simulation Platform For Exploring Fire And Vegetation Dynamics.
- Keane, Robert E.; Holsinger, Lisa; Parsons, Russell A. 2011. Evaluating Indices That Measure Departure Of Current Landscape Composition From Historical Conditions.
- Reinhardt, Elizabeth; Holsinger, Lisa. 2010. Effects Of Fuel Treatments On Carbon-Disturbance Relationships In Forests Of The Northern Rocky Mountains.
- Reinhardt, Elizabeth D.; Holsinger, Lisa; Keane, Robert. 2010. Effects Of Biomass Removal Treatments On Stand-Level Fire Characteristics In Major Forest Types Of The Northern Rocky Mountains.
- Keane, Robert E.; Holsinger, Lisa M.; Parsons, Russell A.; Gray, Kathy. 2008. Climate Change Effects On Historical Range And Variability Of Two Large Landscapes In Western Montana, Usa.
- Riggs, Robert A.; Keane, Robert E.; Cimon, Norm; Cook, Rachel; Holsinger, Lisa; Cook, John; DelCurto, Timothy; Baggett, L.Scott; Justice, Donald; Powell, David; Vavra, Martin; Naylor, Bridgett. 2015. Biomass And Fire Dynamics In A Temperate Forest-Grassland Mosaic: Integrating Multi-Species Herbivory, Climate, And Fire With The Firebgcv2/Grazebgc System.
- Coop, Jonathan D.; Holsinger, Lisa; McClernan, Sarah; Parks, Sean A. 2015. Influences Of Previous Wildfires On Change, Resistance, And Resilience To Reburning In A Montane Southwestern Landscape.
- Parks, Sean A.; Holsinger, Lisa M.; Miller, Carol; Nelson, Cara R. 2015. Wildland Fire As A Self-Regulating Mechanism: The Role Of Previous Burns And Weather In Limiting Fire Progression.
- Eby, Lisa A.; Helmy, Olga; Holsinger, Lisa M.; Young, Michael K. 2014. Evidence Of Climate-Induced Range Contractions In Bull Trout Salvelinus Confluentus In A Rocky Mountain Watershed, U.S.A..
- Holsinger, Lisa; Keane, Robert E.; Isaak, Daniel J.; Eby, Lisa; Young, Michael K. 2014. Relative Effects Of Climate Change And Wildfires On Stream Temperatures: A Simulation Modeling Approach In A Rocky Mountain Watershed.
- Friggens, Megan M.; Loehman, Rachel; Holsinger, Lisa; Finch, Deborah. 2014. Vulnerability Of Riparian Obligate Species To The Interactive Effect Of Fire, Climate And Hydrological Change.
- Holsinger, Lisa; Keane, Robert. 2011. Fire And Fish Dynamics In A Changing Climate.
- Pratt, Sarah; Holsinger, Lisa; Keane, Robert E. 2006. Chapter 10 - Using Simulation Modeling To Assess Historical Reference Conditions For Vegetation And Fire Regimes For The Landfire Prototype Project.
- Holsinger, Lisa; Keane, Robert E.; Parsons, Russell; Karau, Eva. 2006. Chapter 5 - Development Of Biophysical Gradient Layers For The Landfire Prototype Project.
- Keane, Robert E.; Holsinger, Lisa M.; Pratt, Sarah D. 2006. Simulating Historical Landscape Dynamics Using The Landscape Fire Succession Model Landsum Version 4.0.
- Holsinger, Lisa; Keane, Robert E.; Steele, Brian; Reeves, Matthew C.; Pratt, Sarah. 2006. Using Historical Simulations Of Vegetation To Assess Departure Of Current Vegetation Conditions Across Large Landscapes Chapter 11.