Louise E. Ashmun
1221 S. Main ST.
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact Louise E. Ashmun
I am a Civil Engineer working in the Soil and Water Engineering group of AWAE. I support Research Scientists with field research, data analysis, publication writing, and technology transfer. After a gratifying career in science education, I am excited to be involved in research using my engineering skills.
Modeling and mitigation techniques of hydrology and erosion after timber-harvest, prescribed fires and wildfires. This includes experiments that study hydrology, erodibility, vegeation recovery and water repellency. Using the process-based understandings, we predict erosion from spatially-varied, complex hillslopes. Develop and implement new monitoring methods and evaluate mitigation techniques.
Erosion is a natural process; however, past management activities have caused degradation of water quality in numerous watersheds throughout various landscapes. Therefore, we develop tools and information to help managers make better decisions based on today's and future climates for improved management of our natural resources as well as impacts on life and property. Our tools and results are used by post-fire assessment teams, land management agencies, private interests, tribal and state governments.
Why This Research is Important
We learned the proper moisture content needed for prescribed fires to prevent increased or accelerated erosion and developed a tool to measure that moisture content for instantaneous readings in the field; We are able to predict post-fire erosion rates and effectiveness of selected mitigation treatments.
Featured Publications & Products
- Robichaud, Peter R.; Ashmun, Louise E.; Sims, Bruce D. 2010. Post-fire treatment effectiveness for hillslope stabilization.
- Robichaud, Peter R.; Lewis, Sarah A.; Brown, Robert E.; Ashmun, Louise E. 2009. Emergency post-fire rehabilitation treatment effects on burned area ecology and long-term restoration.
- Robichaud, Peter R.; Elliot, William J.; Pierson, Fredrick B.; Hall, David E.; Moffet, Corey A.; Ashmun, Louise E. 2007. Erosion Risk Management Tool (ERMiT) user manual (version 2006.01.18).
- Calkin, David E.; Hyde, Kevin D.; Robichaud, Peter R.; Jones, J. Greg; Ashmun, Louise E.; Loeffler Dan, . 2007. Assessing post-fire values-at-risk with a new calculation tool.
- Robichaud, Peter R.; Gasvoda, D. S.; Hungerford, Roger D.; Bilskie, J.; Ashmun, Louise E.; Reardon, J. 2004. Measuring duff moisture content in the field using a portable meter sensitive to dielectric permittivity.
Publications & Products
- Robichaud, P. R.; Jordan, P.; Lewis, S. A.; Ashmun, L. E.; Covert, S. A.; Brown, R. E. 2013. Evaluating the effectiveness of wood shred and agricultural straw mulches as a treatment to reduce post-wildfire hillslope erosion in southern British Columbia, Canada.
- Robichaud, Peter R.; Lewis, Sarah A.; Wagenbrenner, Joseph W.; Ashmun, Louise E.; Brown, Robert E. 2013. Post-fire mulching for runoff and erosion mitigation; Part I: Effectiveness at reducing hillslope erosion rates.
- Robichaud, Peter R.; Wagenbrenner, Joseph W.; Lewis, Sarah A.; Ashmun, Louise E.; Brown, Robert E.; Wohlgemuth, Peter M. 2013. Post-fire mulching for runoff and erosion mitigation; Part II: Effectiveness in reducing runoff and sediment yields from small catchments.
- Robichaud, Peter R.; Ashmun, Louise E.; Foltz, Randy B.; Showers, Charles G.; Groenier, J. Scott; Kesler, Jennifer; DeLeo, Claire; Moore, Mary. 2013. Production and aerial application of wood shreds as a post-fire hillslope erosion mitigation treatment.
- Robichaud, Peter R.; Ashmun, Louise E. 2013. Tools to aid post-wildfire assessment and erosion-mitigation treatment decisions.
- Robichaud, Peter; MacDonald, Lee; Freeouf, Jeff; Neary, Dan; Martin, Deborah; Ashmun, Louise. 2003. Postfire rehabilitation of the Hayman Fire.