Contact Keith Reynolds
My current work is focused on developing and applying decision-support systems for environmental analysis and planning. I have led development of the Ecosystem Management Decision Support (EMDS) system since 1995, a general solution framework that has been applied to many domains, a variety of spatial scales, and in various places around the world.
Logic modeling, decision analysis, geospatial analysis, decision support, and quantitative landscape ecology.
Recent major applications of EMDS that I have supported include decision support for (1) watershed analysis (Northwest Forest Plan), (2) forest fuels evaluation and fuel treatment planning (Forest Service, National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, USDI Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Indian Affairs), (3) integrated restoration and protection strategy (Forest Service Region 1), (4) maintenance of dispersal habitat for the northern spotted owl (Washington Department of Narural Resources), and (5) soil impacts associated with logging and wildfire (Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest).
Why This Research is Important
Contemporary natural resource management typically involves implementing concepts and principles of adaptive ecosystem management in the context of large, complex, and abstract problems, and often requires integrated solutions over two or more spatial scales or multiple assessments spread over time. This research has resulted in the deployment of one of only a very few decision-support technologies capable of addressing all these complexities in a relatively comprehensive and pragmatic way.
- North Carolina State University, Ph.D. Phytoepidemiology, 1984
- Oregon State University, M.S. Forest pathology, 1980
- Oregon State University, B.S. Forest science, 1976
Featured Publications & Products
- Reynolds, Keith M.; Hessburg, Paul F.; Miller, Richard E.; Meurisse, Robert T. 2011. Evaluating soil risks associated with severe wildfire and ground-based logging.
- Hessburg, Paul F.; Reynolds, Keith M.; Keane, Robert E.; James, Kevin M.; Salter, R. Brion. 2010. Evaluating wildland fire danger and prioritizing vegetation and fuels treatments.
- Keane, Robert E.; Drury, Stacy A.; Karau, Eva C.; Hessburg, Paul F.; Reynolds, Keith M. 2010. A method for mapping fire hazard and risk across multiple scales and its application in fire management.
- Reynolds, Keith M.; Hessburg, Paul F.; Keane, Robert E.; Menakis, James P. 2009. National fuel-treatment budgeting in US federal agencies: capturing opportunities for transparent decision-making.
- Hessburg, Paul F.; Reynolds, Keith M.; Keane, Robert E.; James, Kevin M.; Salter, R. Brion. 2008. Evaluating wildland fire danger and prioritizing vegetation and fuels treatments.
Publications & Products
- Bollenbacher, Barry L.; Graham, Russell T.; Reynolds, Keith M. 2014. Regional forest landscape restoration priorities: Integrating historical conditions and an uncertain future in the northern Rocky Mountains.
- Reynolds, Keith; Hessburg, Paul; O’Callaghan, Joan. 2014. Restoration planning on the Okanogan-Wenatchee national forest: prescriptions for resilient landscapes.
- Gärtner, S.; Reynolds, K.M.; Hessburg, P.F.; Hummel, S.S.; Twery, M. 2008. Decision support for evaluating landscape departure and prioritizing forest management activities in a changing environment.
- Reynolds, Keith M.; Schmoldt, Daniel L. 2006. Computer-aided decision making..
- Reynolds, Keith M. 2006. Decision support for evaluating the U.S. national criteria and indicators for forest ecosystem sustainability.
- Reynolds, Keith M., ed. 2006. Sustainable forestry in theory and practice: recent advances in inventory and monitoring, statistics and modeling, information and knowledge management, and policy science..
- Reynolds, Keith M.; Hessburg, Paul F. 2005. Decision support for integrated landscape evaluation and restoration planning..
- Reeves, Gordon H.; Hohler, David B.; Larsen, David P.; Busch, David E.; Kratz, Kim; Reynolds, Keith; Stein, Karl F.; Atzet, Thomas; Hays, Polly; Tehan, Michael. 2004. Effectiveness monitoring for the aquatic and riparian component of the Northwest Forest Plan: conceptual framework and options..
- Reynolds, Keith M. 2001. Fuzzy logic knowledge bases in integrated landscape assessment: examples and possibilities..
- Reynolds, Keith; Bjork, Jennifer; Hershey, Rachel Riemann; Schmoldt, Dan; Payne, John; King, Susan; DeCola, Lee; Twery, Mark J.; Cunningham, Pat. 1999. Decision Support for Ecosystem Management (Chapter 28).
- Reynolds, Keith M. 1999. EMDS users guide (version 2.0): knowledge-based decision support for ecological assessment..
- Reynolds, Keith M. 1999. NetWeaver for EMDS user guide (version 1.1): a knowledge base development system..
- Reynolds, Keith M.; Holsten, Edward H. 1997. SBexpert users guide (version 2.0): a knowledge-based decision-support system for spruce beetle management..
- Reynolds, Keith; Cunningham, Patrick; Bednar, Larry; Saunders, Michael; Foster, Michael; Olson, Richard; Schmoldt, Daniel; Latham, Donald; Miller, Bruce; Steffenson, John. 1996. A Knowledge-Based Information Management System for Watershed Analysis in the Pacific Northwest U.S..
- Reynolds, Keith; Olson, Richard; Saunders, Michael; Latham, Donald; Foster, Michael; Miller, Bruce; Bednar, Lawrence; Schmoldt, Daniel; Cunningham, Patrick; Steffenson, John. 1996. Knowledge-Based Information Management for Watershed Analysis in the Pacific Northwest U.S..
- Reynolds, Keith; Saunders, Micahel; Olson, Richard; Schmoldt, Daniel; Foster, Michael; Latham, Donald; Miller, Bruce; Steffenson, John; Bednar, Lawrence; Cunningham, Patrick. 1995. Knowledge-Based Information Management in Decision Support for Ecosystem Management.
- Reynolds, Keith M.; Holsten, Edward H.; Werner, Richard A. 1994. SBexpert users guide (version 1.0): a knowledge-based decision-support system for spruce beetle management..