One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726
Contact Karen Nakasone
Current ResearchMy research focus is the identification, classification and phylogenetics of wood-decay fungi, especially crust-like (corticioid) species. These fungi are usually small, inconspicuous, and not as well known as their larger cousins, the polypores and mushrooms.
Current research projects include:
- revisionary taxonomy of Resinicium, Dendrothele, Phlebia, and Phanerochaete
- inferring phylogenetic relationships in the above genera
- examined type specimens of corticioid species, especially those with spines
- developing identification tools for corticioid species
- Develop traditional and web-based monographs of corticioid species with spines
- Expand taxonomic research into other wood-decay fungal genera
Why This Research is Important
Correct identification of decay fungi are important to establish if a species is nonnative for researchers studying the impact of invasive species in forests and managers interested in conserving biological and functional diversity of fungi to keep forests healthy. The stability of fungal names is essential because valuable information is tied to a name. Fungal names are based on type specimens, thus, it is necessary to study types to establish firm, stable names. Establishing phylogenetic relationships among decay fungi are desirable because critical physiological, biological and genetic properties can be inferred from understanding relatedness among species and genera. This information is valuable to researchers studying the roles of decay fungi in pathology, nutrient cycling, tree establishment and growth, and forest health and resiliency. Oftentimes, unusual and unexpected phylogenetic relationships result in new insights into fungal taxonomy and biology. By providing researchers with the tools for accurate and reliable species identification, the role and full impact of decay fungi in the health and productivity of forests can be studied.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Botany Department, Ph.D. ,
- University of Arizona, Department of Plant Pathology, M.S. ,
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Plant Pathology, B.S. ,
- Mycological Society of America
Featured Publications & Products
- Nakasone, K.K.; Burdsall, H.H. 2011. The genus Dendrothele (Agaricales, Basidiomycota) in New Zealand.
- Glaeser, Jessie A.; Nakasone, Karen K. 2010. Recent change in the nomenclature of Phellinus pini: What is Porodaedalea?.
- Martinez, Sebastian; Nakasone, Karen K. 2010. New records and checklist of corticioid Basidiomycota from Uruguay.
- Nakasone, Karen K. 2010. Morphological studies of Hyphoderma cremeoalbum and Radulomyces roseolus.
- Nakasone, K.K. 2009. Type studies of corticioid Hymenomycetes (Basidiomycota) with aculei.
Publications & Products
- Nakasone, Karen K. 2013. Taxonomy of Epithele (Polyporales, Basidiomycota).
- Nakasone, Karen K.; Lindner, David N. 2012. Taxonomy of Pseudolagarobasidium (Polyporales, Basidiomycota).
- Nakasone, Karen K. 2012. Type studies of corticioid Hymenomycetes (Basidiomycota) with aculei - Part II.
- Bernicchia, Annarosa; Gorjón, Sergio P.; Nakasone, Karen K. 2011. Arrasia rostrata (Basidiomycota), a new corticioid genus and species from Italy.
- Nakasone, Karen K. 2011. Boidinella gen. nov. (Cantharellales, Basidiomycota).
- Nakasone, Karen K.; Hibbett, David S.; Goranova, Greta. 2009. Neocampanella, a new corticioid fungal genus, and a note on Dendrothele bispora.
- Nakasone, Karen K. 2009. Morphological studies of Dendrothele species from North America.
- Nakasone, Karen K. 2008. Type studies of corticioid Hymenomycetes described by Bresadola.
- Nakasone, Karen K. 2007. Morphological and molecular studies on Resinicium s. str..
- Nakasone, Karen K. 2006. Dendrothele griseocana (Corticiaceae) and related taxa with hyphal pegs.
- Larsson, Karl-Henrik; Parmasto, Erast; Fischer, Michael; Langer, Ewald; Nakasone, Karen K.; Redhead, Scott A. 2006. Hymenochaetales: a molecular phylogeny for the hymenochaetoid clade.
- Sutton, D.A.; Thompson, E.H.; Rinaldi, M.G.; Iwen, P.C.; Nakasone, K.K.; Jung, H.S.; Rosenblatt, H.M.; Paul, M.E. 2005. Identification and first report of Inonotus (Phellinus) tropicalis as an etiologic agent in a patient with chronic granulomatous disease.
- Nakasone, Karen K. 2005. Leptocorticium (Corticiaceae s.l., Basidiomycota): new species and combinations.
- Martinez, Sebastian; Nakasone, Karen K. 2005. The genus Phanerochaete (Corticiaceae, Basidiomycotina) sensu lato in Uruguay.
- Nakasone, Karen K. 2004. Morphological studies in Veluticeps, Pileodon, and related taxa.
- Nakasone, Karen K.; Peterson, Stephen W.; Jong, Shung-Chang. 2004. Preservation and distribution of fungal cultures.
- Greslebin, Alina; Nakasone, Karen K.; Rajchenberg, Mario. 2004. Rhizochaete, a new genus of phanerochaetoid fungi.
- de Koker, Theodorus H.; Nakasone, Karen K.; Haarhof, Jacques; Burdsall, Harold H.; Janse, Bernard J.H. 2003. Phylogenetic relationships of the genus Phanerochaete inferred from the internal transcribed spacer region.
- Nakasone, Karen K. . 2003. Type studies of resupinate hydnaceous Hymenomycetes described by Patouillard.
- Nakasone, Karen K. 2002. Mycoaciella : a synonym of phlebia.
- Dugan, F.M.; Nakasone, K.K. 1998. Mapping the microbial universe : the importance of living collections for fungal systematics.