Kathleen R. Matthews
Fish Biologist Research
800 Buchanan Street
Contact Kathleen R. Matthews
Kathleen is a research scientist with the Aquatic Ecology Group at PSW. She has worked on a variety of marine and freshwater research projects in the US and Canada. Since starting at the Forest Service in 1992, she has led several research projects primarily in the Sierra Nevada on the effects of management activities (cattle grazing, fish stocking, etc.) on the native aquatic organisms of wilderness streams and lakes.
In the future, Matthews intends to continue exploring the impact reduced snowpacks and warmer temperatures might have on high-elevation native species such as golden trout, the California state fish, and amphibians.
- University of Washington School of Fisheries, Ph.D. Fisheries 1988
- Moss Landing Marine Laboratories-San Jose State Univ, M.A. Marine Biology 1983
- University of California, B.A. Zoology 1977
- American Fisheries Society, Member
- Ecological Society of America, Member
- Society forConservation Biology, Member
- Matthews, Kathleen R. 2016. Water Temperature, Dissolved Oxygen, Flow, And Shade Measurements In The Three Stream Sections Of The Golden Trout Wilderness.
- Nussle, Sebastien; Matthews, Kathleen R.; Carlson, Stephanie M. 2015. Mediating Water Temperature Increases Due To Livestock And Global Change In High Elevation Meadow Streams Of The Golden Trout Wilderness.
- Matthews, Kathleen; Nussle, Sebastien. 2014. California Golden Trout And Climate Change: Is Their Stream Habitat Vulnerable To Climate Warming.
- Matthews, Kathleen R. 2010. California Golden Trout And Climate Change: Is Their Stream Habitat Vulnerable To Climate Warming.
- Matthews, Kathleen; Preisler, Haiganoush. 2010. Site Fidelity Of The Declining Amphibian Rana Sierrae (Sierra Nevada Yellow-Legged Frog).
- Lacan, I; Matthews, Kathleen R.; Feldman, K.V. 2008. Interaction Of An Introduced Predator With Future Effects Of Climate Change In The Recruitment Dynamics Of The Imperiled Sierra Nevada Yellow-Legged Frog (Rana Sierrae).
- Matthews, Kathleen. 2003. High Sierra Ecosystems: The Role Of Fish Stocking In Amphibian Declines.
- Knapp, R. A.; Matthews, Kathleen R. 2000. Effects On Nonnative Fishes On Wilderness Lake Ecosystems In The Sierra Nevada And Recommendations For Reducing Impacts.
- Knapp, R.; Matthews, K. 1996. Livestock Grazing, Golden Trout, And Streams In The Golden Trout Wilderness, California: Impacts And Management Implications.
- MATTHEWS, KATHLEEN R.; BERG, NEIL H.; AZUMA DAVID L., . 1994. Cool Water Formation And Trout Habitat Use In A Deep Pool In The Sierra Nevada, California.
|California golden trout and future climate warming|
The California golden trout is imperiled due to exotic trout, genetic introgression, and degraded habitat, and faces further stress from climate ...