521 Devall Drive
Auburn University, AL 36849-5418
Phone: 334-826-8700 x33
Contact Kristina Connor
Early work focused on the physiology and biochemistry of "recalcitrant" forest tree species. Such seeds are sensitive to moisture loss and have short storage lifespans. Projects examined temperate recalcitrant seeds for measurable physical and chemical changes that may occur when seeds are subjected to desiccation, aging, long-term storage, or prolonged exposure to natural conditions. We used FT-IR, GC, and DSC to examine lipid, carbohydrate, and protein fractions of seeds for deterioration over time. Current research addresses understory seed production, dormancy, storage potential, and longevity in the seed bank. Seed bank ecology of pondberry (Lindera melissifolia), white-topped pitcher plant (Sarracenia leucophylla), ramps (Allium tricoccum), blue cohosh (Caulophyllum thalictroides), and black cohosh (Actaea racemosa) are being studied. Other research focuses on restoration of longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) and longleaf pine silvopasture.
Why This Research is Important
The Range-Wide Conservation Plan for longleaf pine lists understory restoration as a key element in its overall strategy. However, to be successful, large-scale outplantings of understory plants will require (1) sufficient quantities of seeds from understory species and (2) information on the basic life history of these plants. While major understory species, such as wiregrass and bluestem, have been studied, little is known of less prominent native species such as pineland nerveray and the various pitcher plant species.
- Utah State University, Ph.D. Forest Ecology, 1988
- VPI, M.S. Forest Biology, 1976
- Southern Illinois University, B.S. Forestry, 1974
Featured Publications & Products
- Sung, Shi-Jean Susana; Haywood, James D.; Sword-Sayer, Mary A.; Connor, Kristina F.; Scott, D. Andrew. 2010. Effects of container cavity size and copper coating on field performance of container-grown longleaf pine seedlings.
Publications & Products
- Connor, K.F.; Schaefer, G.M.; Donahoo, J.B.; Devall, M.S.; Gardiner, E.S.; Leininger, T.D.; Wilson, A.D.; Schiff, N.M.; Hamel, P.B.; Zarnoch, S.J. 2013. Lindera melissifolia seed bank study in a lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley bottomland forest.
- Lockhart, Brian Roy; Gardiner, Emile S.; Leininger, Theodor D.; Hamel, Paul B.; Connor, Kristina F.; Devall, Margaret S.; Schiff, Nathan M.; Wilson, A. Dan. 2013. Lindera melissifolia responses to flood durations and light regimes suggest strategies for recovery and conservation.
- Connor, K.; Dimov, L.; Barlow, R.; Smith, M.; Kirkland, E. 2013. Conversion of an oak seed orchard to oak silvopasture.
- Barlow, Rebecca; Dimov, Luben; Connor, Kris; Smith, Mark. 2013. First-year survival and growth of fertilized slash pine in south Alabama.
- Greenberg, Katie; Keyser, Tara; Zarnoch, Stan; Connor, Kris. 2012. Acorn viability following prescribed fire in upland hardwood forests.
- Connor, Kristina; Gibbs, Hilliard. 2012. Germination and field survival of white-topped pitcher plant seeds.
- Oswalt, Christopher M.; Cooper, Jason A.; Brockway, Dale G.; Brooks, Horace W.; Walker, Joan L.; Connor, Kristina F.; Oswalt, Sonja N.; Conner, Roger C. 2012. History and current condition of longleaf pine in the Southern United States.
- Connor, Kristina; Barlow, Rebecca; Dimov, Luben; Smith, Mark. 2012. Longleaf pine agroforestry.
- Connor, Kristina F.; Brockway, Dale G.; Boyer, William D.; Tucker, Ronald K. 2009. The Escambia Experimental Forest.
- Connor, Kristina F. 2008. Bauhinia L..
- Connor, Kristina F.; Rodgers, Jane E.; Miller, Carol. 2008. Parkinsonia L..
- Connor, Kristina F.; Francis, John K. 2008. Roystonea O.F. Cook.
- Connor, Kristina F. 2008. Sophora L..
- Connor, Kristina F.; Francis, John K. 2008. Spathodea campanulata Beauv.
- Adams, Susan B.; Hamel, Paul B.; Connor, Kristina; Burke, Bryce; Gardiner, Emile S.; Wise, David. 2007. Potential roles of fish, birds, and water in swamp privet (Forestiera acuminata) seed dispersal.
- Connor, K.F.; Brockway, D.G.; Haywood, J.D.; Goelz, J.C.G.; Sword-Sayer, M.A.; Sung, S-JS.; Walker, J.L. 2007. Restoring and managing longleaf pine ecosystems in the southern United States: Southern Research Station Unit SRS-4158.
- Connor, Kristina; Donahoo, Jillian; Schafer, Gretchen. 2006. How does prolonged exposure to natural conditions affect acorn moisture and viability?.
- Connor, Kristina. 2004. Aralia spinosa L..
- Connor, Kristina. 2004. Arundinaria gigantea (Walt.) Muhl..
- Connor, K.F. 2004. Callicarpa americana L..
- Connor, K.F. 2004. Cephalanthus occidentalis L..
- Connor, K.F. 2004. Forestiera acuminata (Michx.).
- Connor, K.F. 2004. Itea virginica L..
- Connor, K.F. 2004. Rhus copallinum L..
- Connor, K.F. 2004. Styrax americanus Lam..
- Connor, Kristina F.; Schiff, Nathan. 2004. Handling unfamiliar seeds or how not to destroy your seed sample.
- Connor, Kristina. 2004. Storing acorns.
- Connor, K.F. 2002. Bauhinia monandra Kurz..
- Connor, K.F; Francis, J.K. 2002. Bauhinia multinervia (Kunth) DC..
- Connor, K.F. 2002. Bauhinia purpurea DC.ex Walp..
- Connor, K.F. 2002. Bauhinia variegata L..
- Connor, K.F. 2002. Roystonea borinquena O.F..
- Connor, K.F. 2002. Roystonea regia (Kunth) O.F..
- Connor, K.F.; Francis, J.K. 2002. Spathodea campanulata P. Beauv..
- Connor, K.F.; Sowa, S. 2002. Research on the nature of recalcitrance in temperate tree seeds: GC and FTIR examinations of stored and desiccated seeds.
- Connor, Kristina F.; Bonner, Franklin T. 2001. The effects of desiccation on seeds of Acer saccharinum and Aesculus pavia: recalcitrance in temperate tree seeds.
- Connor, K.F.; Bonner, F.T.; Vozzo, J.A.; Kossman-Ferraz, I. 2000. Changes in desiccating seeds of temperate and tropical forest tree species.
- Connor, Kristina F.; Bonner, Franklin T. 1999. Effects of Temperature and Moisture Content on the Storability of Hardwoods Seeds.
- Connor, K.F.; Bonner, F.T.; Vozzo, J.A. 1996. Effects of desiccation on temperate recalcitrant seeds: differential scanning calorimetry, gas chromatography, electron microscopy, and moisture studies on Quercus nigra and Quercus alba.