Kerry O Britton
1601 N. Kent Street, 4th Floor
Arlington, VA 22209
Contact Kerry O Britton
Pathway analysis for forest pests and pathogens
Costs/benefit analysis of pathway mitigation options
Prevention of invasive species introductions and establishments
Causes and epidemiology of sycamore dieback
Epidemiology and control of dogwood anthracnose
Why This Research is Important
Established invasive forest pests cost taxpayers several billion dollars every year. Prevention of invasive species is cheaper than controlling them after they become established. A pathway approach is likely more effective than trying to prevent introductions one species at a time, especially since so many new invasive pests are unknown to science in their homeland.
- University of Georgia, Ph.D. Plant Pathology, 1987
- National Program Leader for Forest Pathology Research and Development, USDA Forest Service, Forest Management Science, 1601 N. Kent St., RPC-4, Arlington, VA 22209
2006 - Current
Evaluates research needs in forest pathology; helps direct FS invasive species research program area; markets ongoing invasive species research to upper management and partners; advises field researchers regarding program direction; works with partners to seek synergy across federal, state and non-governmental agencies; promotes use of research results; tracks and reports program performance.
- National Pathologist for Forest Health Protection, USDA Forest Service, Forest Health Protection, 1601 N. Kent St., RPC-7, Arlington, VA 22209
2003 - 2006
Managed national program for management and control of forest diseases on federal and private lands. Responsible for strategic planning, performance accountability, and accomplishment reporting.
- Research Plant Pathologist, USDA Forest Service, Forestry Sciences Laboratory, 320 Green Street, Athens, GA 30602
1989 - 2003
Studied the epidemiology of dogwood anthracnose, control strategies, host predisposition and resistance mechanisms. Later research focused on sycamore dieback (control strategies, host predisposition and resistance mechanisms) and kudzu biological control. From 1994-2002 served as Project Leader for Insect and Disease Research.
- American Phytopathological Society, Member (1977 - Current)
Promote discussions of ways APS members can help reduce pest spread and increase plant biosecurity.
Featured Publications & Products
- Rossman, Amy; Britton, Kerry. 2009. A proactive approach to prevent invasive plant pathogens.
- Liebhold, Andrew M.; Brockerhoff, Eckehard G.; Garrett, Lynn J.; Parke, Jennifer L.; Britton, Kerry O. 2012. Live plant imports: the major pathway for forest insect and pathogen invasions of the US.
- Aukema, Juliann E.; Leung, Brian.; Kovacs, Kent; Chivers, Corey; Britton, Kerry O.; Englin, Jeffrey; Frankel, Susan J.; Haight, Robert G.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Liebhold, Andrew M.; McCullough, Deborah G.; Von Holle, Betsy. 2011. Economic Impacts of Non-Native Forest Insects in the Continental United States.
- Britton, K.O.; White, P.; Kramer, A.; Hudler, G. 2010. A new approach to stopping the spread of invasive insects and pathogens: early detection and rapid response via a global network of sentinel plantings.
Publications & Products
- Brockerhoff, Eckehard G.; Aukema, Juliann E.; Britton, Kerry O.; Cavey, Joseph F.; Garrett, Lynn J.; Haack, Robert A.; Kimberley, Mark; Liebhold, Andrew M.; Lowenstein, Frank L.; Marasas, Carissa; Nuding, Amelia; Olson, Lars; Speekmann, Christa; Springborn, Michael; Vieglais, Christina; Turner, James. 2011. Demonstrating the benefits of phytosanitary regulations: the case of ISPM 15.
- Dix, Mary Ellen; Britton, Kerry. 2010. A dynamic invasive species research vision: Opportunities and priorities 2009-29.
- Aukema, J.E.; McCullough, D.G.; Von Holle, B.; Liebhold, Andrew; Britton, Kerry; Frankel, S.J. 2010. Historical accumulation of nonindigenous forest pests in the Continental United States.
- Britton, K.O. 2010. Informing pest prevention efforts through Sentinel Plant Monitoring.
- Britton, Kerry O.; Buford, Marilyn; Burnett, Kelly; Dix, Mary Ellen; Frankel, Susan J.; Keena, Melody; Kim, Mee-Sook; Klopfenstein, Ned B.; Ostry, Michael E.; Sieg, Carolyn Hull. 2010. Invasive species overarching priorities to 2029.
- Britton, Kerry; Illman, Barbara; Man, Gary. 2010. Prevention.
- Downing, Marla C.; Borchert, Daniel M.; Britton, Kerry; Koch, Frank H.; Krist, Frank J., Jr.; Sapio, Frank J. 2009. Hazard assessment surfaces for Phytophthora alni subsp. Alni.
- Britton, Kerry O. 2008. What you can do to help improve regulation of the plants for planting pathway.
- Sun, Jiang-Hua; Liu, Zhu-Dong; Britton, Kerry O.; Cai, Ping; Orr, David; Hough-Goldstein, Judith. 2006. Survey of phytophagous insects and foliar pathogens in China for a biocontrol perspective on kudzu, Pueraria montana var. lobata (Willd.) Maesen and S. Almeida (Fabaceae).
- Chornesky, E. A.; Bartuska, A. M.; Aplet, G. H.; Britton, K. O.; Cummings-Carlson, J.; Davis, F. W.; Eskow, J.; Gordon, D. R.; Gottschalk, K. W.; Haack, R. A.; Hansen, A. J.; Mack, R. N.; Rahel, F. J.; Shannon, M. A.; Wainger, L. A.; Wigley, T. B. 2005. Science priorities for reducing the threat of invasive species.
- Britton, Kerry O.; Duerr, Donald A.; Miller, James H. 2005. Understanding and controlling nonnative forest pests in the South.
- Henneberger, T.S.M.; Stevenson, K.L.; Britton, Kerry O.; Chang, C.J. 2004. Distribution of Xylella fastidiosa in Sycamore associated with low temperature and host resistance.
- Coleman, Mark D.; Coyle, David R.; Blake, J.; Britton, Kerry O.; Buford, M.; Campbell, R.G.; Cox, J.; Cregg, B.; Daniels, D.; Jacobson, M.; Johnsen, Kurt; McDonald, Timothy; McLeod, K.; Nelson, E.; Robison, D.; Rummer, R.; Sanchez, F.; Stanturf, John A.; Stokes, B.; Trettin, Carl; Tuskan, J.; Wright, L.; Wullschleger, S. 2004. Production of Short-Rotation Woody Crops Grown with a Range of Nutrient and Water Availability: Establishment Report and First-Year Responses.
- Jewett, D.K.; Jiang, C.J.; Britton, K.O.; Sun, J.H.; Tang, J. 2003. Characterizing Specimens of Kudzu and Related Taxa with RAPD's.
- Britton, Kerry O.; Jiang-Hua, Sun. 2002. Unwelcome Guests: Extoic Forest Pests.
- Bacchus, Sydney T.; Hamazaki, Toshihide; Britton, Kerry O.; Haines, Bruce L. 2000. Soluble sugar composition of pond-cypress: a potential hydroecological indicator of ground water perturbations.
- Britton, Kerry O. 1998. Exotic pests of eastern forests conference proceedings.
- Britton, Kerry O.; Berrang, Paul C.; Mavity, Erika. 1998. Soil Effects Mediate Interaction of Dogwood Anthracnose and Acidic Precipitation.