Kathleen A. Dwire
240 West Prospect Road
Fort Collins, CO 80526
Contact Kathleen A. Dwire
- Comparison of forest attributes and fuel loads in riparian vs. upland stands in beetle-infested watersheds
- Influence of canopy condition on instream water temperature regimes in cutthroat trout streams, CO
- Fuels management in riparian areas of the interior west
- Effects of wildland fire on stream-riparian processes and biota; post-fire recovery of riparian vegetation
- Infleunce of disturbance (fire, insects) on large wood dynamics in Rocky Mountain streams
- Characterization of riparian, alpine, and slope wetlands and linkages to streams in Rocky Mountain headwater basins.
- Mechanisms of carbon storage and evaluation of carbon pools along headwater streams
Caskey, S.T; Blaschak, T.S.; Wohl, E.; Schnackenberg, E.; Merritt, D.M.; Dwire, K.A. 2014. Downstream effects of stream flow diversion on channel characteristics and riparian vegetation in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, USA. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. doi: 10.1002/esp.3651.
Dwire, K.A.; Hubbard, R.; Bazan, R. 2015. Comparison of riparian and upland forest stand structure and fuel loads in beetle infested watersheds, southern Rocky Mountains. Forest Ecology and Management. 335 (2015) 194-206. doi: 10.1016/j.foreco.2014.09.039.
Mayer, P.; Dwire, K.A.; Okay, J.A.; Vidon, P.G. 2014. Featured Collection Introduction: Riparian Ecosystems and Buffers II. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. 50(3): 529-532. DOI: 10.1111/jawr.12212.
Briefing Papers and other documents:
- Riparian forest structure, canopy condition and fuel loads in beetle-infested watersheds;
- Impacts of forest disturbance (insects, fire, wind) and climate change on riparian function;
- Distribution of riparian plant species and communities in relation to disturbance and hydrologic, climatic and geomorphic variables;
- Influence of management and disturbance on large wood dynamics in Rocky Mountain streams;
- Effects of prescribed and natural fire on stream-riparian processes and biota;
- Carbon stocks and organic matter dynamics in wetlands, and stream-riparian ecosystems;
- Characterization of groundwater-dependent ecosystems (springs; riparian, alpine, and slope wetlands) in Rocky Mountain headwater basins;
- Assessment and monitoring of wetland, stream and riparian condition; impacts of management on structure and function of wetlands and riparian areas.
- University of California, Santa Barbara, BA Environmental Biology, 1975
- University of California, Davis, MS Plant Ecology, 1983
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Fisheries, 2001
Featured Publications & Products
- Nelson, Monique LaPerriere; Rhoades, Charles C.; Dwire, Kathleen A. 2011. Influence of bedrock geology on water chemistry of slope wetlands and headwater streams in the southern Rocky Mountains.
- Ryan, Sandra E.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Dixon, Mark K. 2011. Impacts of wildfire on runoff and sediment loads at Little Granite Creek, western Wyoming.
- Kauffman, J. Boone; Heider, Chris; Cole, Thomas G.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Donato, Daniel C. 2011. Ecosystem carbon stocks of micronesian mangrove forests.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Young, Michael K. 2010. Potential effects of fuel management activities on riparian areas.
- Wohl, Ellen; Cenderelli, Daniel A.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Ryan-Burkett, Sandra E.; Young, Michael K.; Fausch, Kurt D. 2010. Large in-stream wood studies: A call for common metrics.
Publications & Products
- Meyer, Kristen E.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Champ, Patricia A.; Ryan, Sandra E.; Riegel, Gregg M.; Burton, Timothy A. 2012. Burning questions for managers: Fuels management practices in riparian areas.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Wohl, Ellen E.; Sutfin, Nicholas A.; Bazan, Roberto A.; Polvi-Pilgrim, Lina. 2012. Carbon pools along headwater streams with differing valley geometry in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado (Abstract).
- Luce, Charles; Morgan, Penny; Dwire, Kathleen; Isaak, Daniel; Holden, Zachary; Rieman, Bruce. 2012. Climate change, forests, fire, water, and fish: Building resilient landscapes, streams, and managers.
- Wohl, Ellen; Dwire, Kathleen; Sutfin, Nicholas; Polvi, Lina; Bazan, Roberto. 2012. Mechanisms of carbon storage in mountainous headwater rivers.
- Ryan, Sandra; Dwire, Kathleen. 2012. Wildfire impacts on stream sedimentation: re-visiting the Boulder Creek Burn in Little Granite Creek, Wyoming, USA.
- Stone, Katharine R.; Pilliod, David S.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Wollrab, Sherry P.; Young, Michael K. 2010. Fuel reduction management practices in riparian areas of the western USA.
- Mayer, Paul M.; Todd, Albert H.; Okay, Judith A.; Dwire, Kathleen A. 2010. Introduction to the featured collection on riparian ecosystems & buffers.
- Wiener, John D.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Skagen, Susan K.; Crifasi, Robert R.; Yates, David. 2008. Riparian ecosystem consequences of water redistribution along the Colorado Front Range.
- Perkins, Dana L.; Parks, Catherine G.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Endress, Bryan A.; Johnson, Kelsi L. 2006. Age structure and age-related performance of sulfur cinquefoil (Potentilla recta)..
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Ryan, Sandra E.; Shirley, Laura J.; Lytjen, Danna; Otting, Nick; Dixon, Mark K. 2006. Influence of herbivory on regrowth of riparian shrubs following a wildland fire.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Kauffman, J. Boone; Baham, John E. 2006. Plant species distribution in relation to water-table depth and soil redox potential in montane riparian meadows.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Lowrance, Richard R. 2006. Riparian ecosystems and buffers - multiscale structure, function, and management: introduction.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Parks, Catherine G.; McInnis, Michael L.; Naylor, Bridgett J. 2006. Seed production and dispersal of sulfur cinquefoil in northeast Oregon.
- Parks, Catherine G.; Radosevich, Steven R.; Endress, Bryan A.; Naylor, Bridgett J.; Anzinger, Dawn; Rew, Lisa J.; Maxwell, Bruce D.; Dwire, Kathleen A. 2005. Natural and land-use history of the Northwest mountain ecoregions (USA) in relation to patterns of plant invasions..
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Kauffman, J. Boone; Brookshire, E. N. Jack; Baham, John E. 2004. Plant biomass and species composition along an environmental gradient in montane riparian meadows.
- Brookshire, E. N. Jack; Dwire, Kathleen A. 2003. Controls on patterns of coarse organic particle retention in headwater streams.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Kauffman, J. Boone. 2003. Fire and riparian ecosystems in landscapes of the western USA.
|Carbon Storage in Mountain Rivers Studied|
Findings show that low-gradient, broad valley bottoms with old-growth forest or active beaver colonies store the majority of above- and below-gr ...