Kathleen A. Dwire
240 West Prospect Road
Fort Collins, CO 80526
Contact Kathleen A. Dwire
Distribution of riparian plant species and communities in relation to hydrologic and geomorphic variables and disturbance (natural and anthropogenic), Influence of prescribed and natural fire on riparian plant species and communities, Organic matter dynamics (surface and subsurface) in stream-riparian ecosystem, Aquatic Ecology - Distribution of riparian plant species in relation to environmental variables, management, and disturbance.Organic matter dynamics (surface and subsurface) in stream-riparian ecosystem. Watershed Processes - Effects of wildland fire on stream-riparian processes and biota; post-fire recovery of riparian vegetation. Large wood Debris dynamics in Rocky Mountain streams; influence of riparian condition, management, and disturbance. Characterization of riparian, alpine, and slope wetlands and linkages to streams in Rocky Mountain headwater basins.
- University of California, Santa Barbara, BA Environmental Biology, 1975
- University of California, Davis, MS Plant Ecology, 1983
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Fisheries, 2001
Featured Publications & Products
- Nelson, Monique LaPerriere; Rhoades, Charles C.; Dwire, Kathleen A. 2011. Influence of bedrock geology on water chemistry of slope wetlands and headwater streams in the southern Rocky Mountains.
- Ryan, Sandra E.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Dixon, Mark K. 2011. Impacts of wildfire on runoff and sediment loads at Little Granite Creek, western Wyoming.
- Kauffman, J. Boone; Heider, Chris; Cole, Thomas G.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Donato, Daniel C. 2011. Ecosystem carbon stocks of micronesian mangrove forests.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Young, Michael K. 2010. Potential effects of fuel management activities on riparian areas.
- Wohl, Ellen; Cenderelli, Daniel A.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Ryan-Burkett, Sandra E.; Young, Michael K.; Fausch, Kurt D. 2010. Large in-stream wood studies: A call for common metrics.
Publications & Products
- Meyer, Kristen E.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Champ, Patricia A.; Ryan, Sandra E.; Riegel, Gregg M.; Burton, Timothy A. 2012. Burning questions for managers: Fuels management practices in riparian areas.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Wohl, Ellen E.; Sutfin, Nicholas A.; Bazan, Roberto A.; Polvi-Pilgrim, Lina. 2012. Carbon pools along headwater streams with differing valley geometry in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado (Abstract).
- Luce, Charles; Morgan, Penny; Dwire, Kathleen; Isaak, Daniel; Holden, Zachary; Rieman, Bruce. 2012. Climate change, forests, fire, water, and fish: Building resilient landscapes, streams, and managers.
- Wohl, Ellen; Dwire, Kathleen; Sutfin, Nicholas; Polvi, Lina; Bazan, Roberto. 2012. Mechanisms of carbon storage in mountainous headwater rivers.
- Ryan, Sandra; Dwire, Kathleen. 2012. Wildfire impacts on stream sedimentation: re-visiting the Boulder Creek Burn in Little Granite Creek, Wyoming, USA.
- Stone, Katharine R.; Pilliod, David S.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Wollrab, Sherry P.; Young, Michael K. 2010. Fuel reduction management practices in riparian areas of the western USA.
- Mayer, Paul M.; Todd, Albert H.; Okay, Judith A.; Dwire, Kathleen A. 2010. Introduction to the featured collection on riparian ecosystems & buffers.
- Wiener, John D.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Skagen, Susan K.; Crifasi, Robert R.; Yates, David. 2008. Riparian ecosystem consequences of water redistribution along the Colorado Front Range.
- Perkins, Dana L.; Parks, Catherine G.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Endress, Bryan A.; Johnson, Kelsi L. 2006. Age structure and age-related performance of sulfur cinquefoil (Potentilla recta)..
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Ryan, Sandra E.; Shirley, Laura J.; Lytjen, Danna; Otting, Nick; Dixon, Mark K. 2006. Influence of herbivory on regrowth of riparian shrubs following a wildland fire.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Kauffman, J. Boone; Baham, John E. 2006. Plant species distribution in relation to water-table depth and soil redox potential in montane riparian meadows.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Lowrance, Richard R. 2006. Riparian ecosystems and buffers - multiscale structure, function, and management: introduction.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Parks, Catherine G.; McInnis, Michael L.; Naylor, Bridgett J. 2006. Seed production and dispersal of sulfur cinquefoil in northeast Oregon.
- Parks, Catherine G.; Radosevich, Steven R.; Endress, Bryan A.; Naylor, Bridgett J.; Anzinger, Dawn; Rew, Lisa J.; Maxwell, Bruce D.; Dwire, Kathleen A. 2005. Natural and land-use history of the Northwest mountain ecoregions (USA) in relation to patterns of plant invasions..
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Kauffman, J. Boone; Brookshire, E. N. Jack; Baham, John E. 2004. Plant biomass and species composition along an environmental gradient in montane riparian meadows.
- Brookshire, E. N. Jack; Dwire, Kathleen A. 2003. Controls on patterns of coarse organic particle retention in headwater streams.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Kauffman, J. Boone. 2003. Fire and riparian ecosystems in landscapes of the western USA.
|Carbon Storage in Mountain Rivers Studied|
Findings show that low-gradient, broad valley bottoms with old-growth forest or active beaver colonies store the majority of above- and below-gr ...