James W. Evans
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Contact James W. Evans
The purpose of the research efforts is to enhance the integrity and efficiency of the Forest Products Laboratory through the use, development, evaluation, and promotion of modern statistical methods.
- Establishment of new and more accurate sampling procedures; cheaper, more efficient testing procedures for evaluating the mechanical properties of structural lumber; and new databases of lumber property information
- Evaluation and modeling of the effects of environmental factors on lumber properties
- Development of new statistical analysis procedures
- Research on the Weibull distribution
- Research on how to monitor for changes in lumber properties over time
- Research on uses of small-diameter material
- Collaborative research with other scientists at FPL as a part of a research team
Featured Publications & Products
- Johnson, Richard A.; Evans, James W.; Green, David W. . Some bivariate distributions for modeling the strength properties of lumber.
- De Groot, Rodney C.; Evans, James W.; Forsyth, Paul G.; Freitag, Camille M.; Morrell, Jeffrey J. . Soil-contact decay tests using small blocks : a procedural analysis.
- Kretschmann, David E.; Evans, James W.; Brown, Linda. . Monitoring of visually graded structural lumber.
- Moon, Robert J.; Wells, Joseph; Kretschmann, David E.; Evans, James; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Frihart, Charles R. 2010. Influence of chemical treatments on moisture-induced dimensional change and elastic modulus of earlywood and latewood.
- Verrill, Steve V.; Johnson, Richard A.; Evans, James W. 2009. Statistical framework for comparing lumber sorting procedures.
Publications & Products
- Verrill, Steve P; Evans, James W.; Kretschmann, David E.; Hatfield, Cherilyn A. 2013. An Evaluation of a Proposed Revision of the ASTM D 1990 Grouping Procedure.
- Evans, James W.; Kretschmann, David E; Hatfield, Cherilyn A.; Green, David W. 2013. Analysis of the Part I Southern Pine In-Grade Program Data.
- Falk, Robert H.; Cramer, Steven; Evans, James. 2013. Framing Lumber from Building Removal: How do We Best Utilize This Untapped Structural Resource?.
- Morrow, C.D.; Gorman, T.M.; Evans, J.W.; Kretschmann, D.E.; Hatfield, C.A. 2013. Prediction of wood Quality in Small-Diameter Douglas-Fir using site and Stand Characteristics.
- Verrill, Steve P.; Evans, James W.; Kretschmann, David E.; Hatfield, Cherilyn A. 2012. Small Sample Properties of Asymptotically Efficient Estimators of the Parameters of a Bivariate Gaussian–Weibull Distribution.
- Considine, John M.; Vahey, David W.; Evans, James W.; Turner, Kevin T.; Rowlands, Robert E. 2011. Evaluation of strength-controlling defects in paper by stress concentration analyses.
- Green, David W.; Gorman, Thomas M.; Evans, James W.; Murphy, Joseph Francis; Hatfield, Cherilyn A. 2008.
Grading and properties of small-diameter Douglas-fir and ponderosa pine tapered logs.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W. 2008. Effect of cyclic long-term temperature exposure on the bending strength of lumber.
- Falk, Robert; Maul, Derek; Cramer, Steven; Evans, James; Herian, Victoria. 2008. Engineering properties of douglas-fir lumber reclaimed from deconstructed buildings.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W. 2008. The immediate effect of temperature on the modulus of elasticity of green and dry lumber.
- Evans, James W.; Green, David W. 2007. Censoring data for resistance factor calculations in load and resistance factor design: a preliminary study.
- Kretschmann, David; Evans, James; Wiemann, Mike; Kimball, Bruce A.; Idso, Sherwood B. 2007. Long-term effects of elevated carbon dioxide concentration on sour orange wood specific gravity, modulus of elasticity, and microfibril angle.
- Green, David W.; Gorman, Thomas M.; Evans, James W.; Murphy, Joseph F. 2006. Mechanical grading of round timber beams.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W.; Hatfield, Cherilyn A.; Byrd, Pamela J. 2005. Durability of structural lumber products after exposure at 82°C and 80% relative humidity.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W.; Murphy, Joseph F.; Hatfield, Cherilyn A. 2005. Mechanical grading of 6-inch-diameter lodgepole pine logs for the travelers’ rest and rattlesnake creek bridges.
- Johnson, Richard A.; Evans, James W.; Green, David W. 2003. Confidence intervals for predicting lumber strength properties based on ratios of percentiles from two Weibull populations..
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W.; Craig, Bruce A. 2003. Durability of structural lumber products at high temperatures. Part I, 66C at 75% RH and 82C at 30% RH.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W. 2003. Effect of low relative humidity on properties of structural lumber products.
- Williams, R. Sam; Knaebe, Mark T.; Evans, James W.; Feist, William C. 2001. Erosion rates of wood during natural weathering. Part III, Effect of exposure angle on erosion rate.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W. 2001. Evolution of standardized procedures for adjusting lumber properties for change in moisture content.
- Evans, James W.; Kretschmann, David E.; Herian, Victoria L.; Green, David W. 2001. Procedures for developing allowable properties for a single species under ASTM D1990 and computer programs useful for the calculations.
- Lebow, Stan T.; Evans, James W. 1999. Effect of prestain on the release rate of copper, chromium, and arsenic from western hemlock.
- Johnson, Richard A.; Evans, James W.; Green, David W. 1999. Nonparametric Bayesian predictive distributions for future order statistics.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W.; Logan, James D.; Allen, Jim. 1999. Temperature corrections for mechanically graded lumber.
- Evans, James W.; Evans, Jane K.; Green, David W. 1990. Computer programs for adjusting the mechanical properties of 2-inch dimension lumber for changes in moisture content.
- Campbell, Dan L.; Evans, James; Lindsey, Gerald D.; Dusenberry, William E. 1981. Acceptance by black-tailed deer of foliage treated with herbicides..