James W. Evans
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
The purpose of the research efforts is to enhance the integrity and efficiency of the Forest Products Laboratory through the use, development, evaluation, and promotion of modern statistical methods.
- Establishment of new and more accurate sampling procedures; cheaper, more efficient testing procedures for evaluating the mechanical properties of structural lumber; and new databases of lumber property information
- Evaluation and modeling of the effects of environmental factors on lumber properties
- Development of new statistical analysis procedures
- Research on the Weibull distribution
- Research on how to monitor for changes in lumber properties over time
- Research on uses of small-diameter material
- Collaborative research with other scientists at FPL as a part of a research team
Featured Publications & Products
- Johnson, Richard A.; Evans, James W.; Green, David W. . Some bivariate distributions for modeling the strength properties of lumber.
- De Groot, Rodney C.; Evans, James W.; Forsyth, Paul G.; Freitag, Camille M.; Morrell, Jeffrey J. . Soil-contact decay tests using small blocks : a procedural analysis.
- Kretschmann, David E.; Evans, James W.; Brown, Linda. . Monitoring of visually graded structural lumber.
- Moon, Robert J.; Wells, Joseph; Kretschmann, David E.; Evans, James; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Frihart, Charles R. 2010. Influence of chemical treatments on moisture-induced dimensional change and elastic modulus of earlywood and latewood.
- Verrill, Steve V.; Johnson, Richard A.; Evans, James W. 2009. Statistical framework for comparing lumber sorting procedures.
Publications & Products
- Verrill, Steve P.; Evans, James W.; Kretschmann, David E.; Hatfield, Cherilyn A. 2014. Reliability Implications in Wood Systems of a Bivariate Gaussian-Weibull Distribution and the Associated Univariate Pseudo-truncated Weibull.
- Verrill, Steve P; Evans, James W.; Kretschmann, David E.; Hatfield, Cherilyn A. 2013. An Evaluation of a Proposed Revision of the ASTM D 1990 Grouping Procedure.
- Evans, James W.; Kretschmann, David E; Hatfield, Cherilyn A.; Green, David W. 2013. Analysis of the Part I Southern Pine In-Grade Program Data.
- Falk, Robert H.; Cramer, Steven; Evans, James. 2013. Framing Lumber from Building Removal: How do We Best Utilize This Untapped Structural Resource?.
- Morrow, C.D.; Gorman, T.M.; Evans, J.W.; Kretschmann, D.E.; Hatfield, C.A. 2013. Prediction of wood Quality in Small-Diameter Douglas-Fir using site and Stand Characteristics.
- Verrill, Steve P.; Evans, James W.; Kretschmann, David E.; Hatfield, Cherilyn A. 2012. Small Sample Properties of Asymptotically Efficient Estimators of the Parameters of a Bivariate Gaussian–Weibull Distribution.
- Considine, John M.; Vahey, David W.; Evans, James W.; Turner, Kevin T.; Rowlands, Robert E. 2011. Evaluation of strength-controlling defects in paper by stress concentration analyses.
- Green, David W.; Gorman, Thomas M.; Evans, James W.; Murphy, Joseph Francis; Hatfield, Cherilyn A. 2008.
Grading and properties of small-diameter Douglas-fir and ponderosa pine tapered logs.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W. 2008. Effect of cyclic long-term temperature exposure on the bending strength of lumber.
- Falk, Robert; Maul, Derek; Cramer, Steven; Evans, James; Herian, Victoria. 2008. Engineering properties of douglas-fir lumber reclaimed from deconstructed buildings.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W. 2008. The immediate effect of temperature on the modulus of elasticity of green and dry lumber.
- Evans, James W.; Green, David W. 2007. Censoring data for resistance factor calculations in load and resistance factor design: a preliminary study.
- Kretschmann, David; Evans, James; Wiemann, Mike, Rudie.; Kimball, Bruce A.; Idso, Sherwood B. 2007. Long-term effects of elevated carbon dioxide concentration on sour orange wood specific gravity, modulus of elasticity, and microfibril angle.
- Green, David W.; Gorman, Thomas M.; Evans, James W.; Murphy, Joseph F. 2006. Mechanical grading of round timber beams.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W.; Hatfield, Cherilyn A.; Byrd, Pamela J. 2005. Durability of structural lumber products after exposure at 82°C and 80% relative humidity.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W.; Murphy, Joseph F.; Hatfield, Cherilyn A. 2005. Mechanical grading of 6-inch-diameter lodgepole pine logs for the travelers’ rest and rattlesnake creek bridges.
- Johnson, Richard A.; Evans, James W.; Green, David W. 2003. Confidence intervals for predicting lumber strength properties based on ratios of percentiles from two Weibull populations..
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W.; Craig, Bruce A. 2003. Durability of structural lumber products at high temperatures. Part I, 66C at 75% RH and 82C at 30% RH.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W. 2003. Effect of low relative humidity on properties of structural lumber products.
- Williams, R. Sam; Knaebe, Mark T.; Evans, James W.; Feist, William C. 2001. Erosion rates of wood during natural weathering. Part III, Effect of exposure angle on erosion rate.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W. 2001. Evolution of standardized procedures for adjusting lumber properties for change in moisture content.
- Evans, James W.; Kretschmann, David E.; Herian, Victoria L.; Green, David W. 2001. Procedures for developing allowable properties for a single species under ASTM D1990 and computer programs useful for the calculations.
- Lebow, Stan T.; Evans, James W. 1999. Effect of prestain on the release rate of copper, chromium, and arsenic from western hemlock.
- Johnson, Richard A.; Evans, James W.; Green, David W. 1999. Nonparametric Bayesian predictive distributions for future order statistics.
- Green, David W.; Evans, James W.; Logan, James D.; Allen, Jim. 1999. Temperature corrections for mechanically graded lumber.
- Evans, James W.; Evans, Jane K.; Green, David W. 1990. Computer programs for adjusting the mechanical properties of 2-inch dimension lumber for changes in moisture content.
- Campbell, Dan L.; Evans, James; Lindsey, Gerald D.; Dusenberry, William E. 1981. Acceptance by black-tailed deer of foliage treated with herbicides..
|Traditional Grading System Updated for Structural Lumber|
The Forest Products Laboratory has traditionally provided unbiased information on the properties, characteristics, design, and use of structural ...