James C Vandygriff
860 North 1200 East
Logan, UT 84321
Contact James C Vandygriff
As an Entomologist my major emphasis is to provide support to Rocky Mountain Research Station lab scientists and Entomologists for research on Western Bark Beetles. My specific responsibilities include the setup and maintenance of field research plots, supervision of field crews, collection of field data, upkeep and manipulation of current and historic data sets, setup and maintenance of various experiments conducted at the lab. While conducting research on bark beetles, I became particularly interested and proficient in the use, programming, and maintenance of Dataloggers and Weather Stations used for a variety of research throughout the West. In support of our research, I work continually with several sofware packages including ArcMap. Windows Excel and Access for database storage and manipulation, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe web products like Macromedia and Dreamweaver. Most summers are spent primarily in the field, supervising the initiation, setup, and collection of data for various bark beetle research projects. This often includes the supervision of seasonal employees.
Biology, ecology, and managment of western bark beetles. I am particularly interested in high elevation pines, climate change, and increased vulnerability in these ecosystems to the threat of mountain pine beetle.
- Utah State University, Logan, MS Forestry, 1995
- Utah State University, Logan, BS Secondary Education / Biology, 1986
- Utah State University, Logan, BS Forest Biology, 1983
- Entomologist, USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, (Logan, UT).
2004 - Current
- Biological ScienceTechnician, USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, (Logan, UT).
1999 - 2004
- Biological Technician, USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, (Logan, UT).
1992 - 1999
- Biological Technician, USDA Forest Service, Forest Health Protection (Odgen, UT)
1988 - 1991
- Seasonal Technician, USDA Forest Service, Humbolt NF (Ely, NV), Dixie NF (Cedar City, UT), Wasatch NF (Salt Lake City, UT), and Uinta NF (Kamas, UT).
1981 - 1987
Featured Publications & Products
- Hansen, E. Matthew; Vandygriff, Jim C.; Cain, Robert J.; Wakarchuk, David. 2006. Comparison of naturally and synthetically baited spruce beetle trapping systems in the central Rocky Mountains.
Publications & Products
- Hansen, E. Matthew; Bentz, Barbara J.; Powell, James A.; Gray, David R.; Vandygriff, James C. 2011. Prepupal diapause and instar IV developmental rates of the spruce beetle, Dendroctonus rufipennis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae, Scolytinae).
- Bentz, Barbara; Logan, Jesse; MacMahon, Jim; Allen, Craig D.; Ayres, Matt; Berg, Ed; Carroll, Allan; Hansen, Matt; Hicke, Jeff; Joyce, Linda; Macfarlane, Wallace; Munson, Steve; Negron, Jose; Paine, Tim; Powell, Jim; Raffa, Ken; Regniere, Jacques; Reid, Mary; Romme, Bill; Seybold, Steven J.; Six, Diana; Tomback, Diana; Vandygriff, Jim; Veblen, Tom; White, Mike; Witcosky, Jeff; Wood, David. 2009. Bark beetle outbreaks in western North America: Causes and consequences.
- Hansen, E. Matthew; Bentz, Barbara J.; Munson, A. Steven; Vandygriff, James C.; Turner, David L. 2006. Evaluation of funnel traps for estimating tree mortality and associated population phase of spruce beetle in Utah.