Jane K. Smith
5775 US West Highway 10
Missoula, MT 59808
- Synthesizing scientific knowledge for managers, mainly through the Fire Effects Information System (FEIS) and Wildland Fire in Ecosystems series- Providing and assessing communications about Fire science with managers and the public.
Focus is on improving content and accessibility of fire science products:- Improve content of FEIS and increase search capabilities of hosting website.- Develop guidelines for synthesizing science information for managers- Continue developing and improving methods for teaching students about wildland fire science
To manage wildlands effectively, wildland managers (at all levels, from federal to private land owners) need to understand fire's role in local ecosystems and the adaptations of local plants and animals to fire. FEIS provides this information in an easily accessible, online format, for T50more than 1,200 species. Fire behavior and ecology are topics that appeal to students of many ages, so educational programs featuring these topics can draw students in to learning about science, helping them develop into more science-literate adults and contributing to development of the next generation of fire managers.
Why This Research is Important
- Invasive plants in the Fire Effects Information System- Knowledge gaps regarding fire and invasive plants- Effectiveness of animation techniques in presentations to the public- Effectiveness of hands-on learning about wildland fire science
- Alverno College, Milwaukee, WI, BA English, 1971
- Alverno College, Milwaukee, WI, BA Speech, 1971
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, MS Forest Ecology with emphasis on fire behavior and fire effects in aspen groves in Colorado�s Front Range., 1983
Publications & Products
- Smith, Jane Kapler; Smith, Diane; Hardy, Colin. 2011. 50 years of service: The Missoula Fire Sciences Lab.
- Smith, Jane Kapler. 2010. Fire Effects Information System: New engine, remodeled interior, added options.
- Zimmerman, Donald E.; Akerelrea, Carol; Smith, Jane Kapler; O'Keefe, Garrett J. 2006. Communicating forest management science and practices through visualized and animated media approaches to community presentations: An exploration and assessment.