320 Green Street
Athen, GA 30602
Social acceptability of bioenergy in the U.S. South. Social vulnerability and climate change. Private forest owner decision-making. Social context of public comment and environmental decision-making.
Social and cultural dimensions of natural resource use and conservation:
Environmental values. Land use choice. Social networks. Race/ethnicity.
Natural resource management and policy:
Land use and sustainable development. National parks and protected areas.
Forests on private lands. Participation, collaboration, and community-based approaches.
Interdisciplinary research. Relationships between research and practice.
Biofuels. Social vulnerability and climate change.
Minority and limited-resource forest landowners in Alabama.
Forest Values in Central America.
- University of Arizona, Ph.D. Renewable Natural Resources, 1991
- University of Arizona, M.S. Watershed Management, 1978
- University of Michigan, B.S. Natural Resources, 1977
- Research Forester, Southern Research Station
1999 - 2010
Stationed at Tuskegee University
- Research Associate and Senior Research Associate, Deptartment of Natural Resources, Cornell University
1992 - 1999
Coordinated NSF Research Training Grant, Cornell Program and Ecological and Social Science Challenges of Conservation
Awards & Recognition
- Director’s Multicultural Organization Award, Southern Research Station, 2010
For significant contributions to the Agency's ability to meet the needs of minority and limited-resource forest landowners, and for outreach and edcuation of Tuskegee University students.
Featured Publications & Products
- Charnley, Susan; Jakes, Pamela; Schelhas, John. 2012. Socioeconomic assessment of Forest Service American Recovery and Reinvestment Act projects: key findings and lessons learned.
- Charnley, Susan; Jakes, Pamela J.; Schelhas, John. 2011. A socioeconomic assessment of Forest Service American Recovery and Reinvestment Act projects: eight case studies.
- Schelhas, J.; Samar, S.; Johnson, C.; Asamadu, A.; Tease, F.; Stanturf, J.; Blay, D. 2010. Opportunities and capacity for community-based forest carbon sequestration and monitoring in Ghana.
- Schelhas, John; Pfeffer, Max J. 2009. When global environmentalism meets local livelihoods: policy and management lessons.
- Gyawali, Buddhi; Fraser, Rory; Bukenya, James; Schelhas, John. 2010. Regional Growth and income convergence in the western black belt counties of Alabama: evidence from census block group data.
- Schelhas, John; Sanchez-Azofeifa, G. Arturo. 2006. Post-frontier forest change adjacent to Braulio Carrillo National Park, Costa Rica.
- Schelhas, John; Pfeffer, Max J. 2005. Forest Values of national park neighbors in Costa Rica.
- Schelhas, John; Zabawa, Robert; Molnar, Joseph J. 2003. New opportunities for social research on forest landowners in the south.
Publications & Products
- Schelhas, John; Molnar, Joseph. 2012. A Common-Pool Resource Approach to Forest Health: The Case of the Southern Pine Beetle.
- Schelhas, John. 2012. Book review: Unveiling the Whale: Discourses on Whales and Whaling.
- Schelhas, John; Miller, James H.; Chambers, Jeanne C. 2012. Non-native plants and adaptive collaborative approaches to ecosystem restoration [Chapter 8].
- Schelhas, John. 2012. Using multiple research methods to understand family forest owners.
- Zhang, Yaoqi; Majumdar, Indrajit; Schelhas, John. 2010. Changes in Woodland Use from Longleaf Pine to Loblolly Pine.
- Schelhas, John. 2010. The U S national parks in international perspective: The Yellowstone model or conservation syncretism?.
- Schelhas, John; Pfeffer, Max J. 2010. When global conservation meets local livelihoods: People and parks in Central America.
- Gyawali, B.; Fraser, R.; Schelhas, J.; Wang, Y.; Tadesse, W.; Bukenya, J. 2009. Human well-being and land cover types in the southeastern U.S.A..
- Zhang, Y.; Liao, X.; Butler, B.J.; Schelhas, J. 2009. The increasing importance of small-scale forestry: evidence from family forest ownership patterns in the United States.
- Schelhas, John; Zabawa, Robert. 2009. The social structure of family and farm forestry in Alabama.
- Kebede, Ellene; Schelhas, John; Haslerig, Janet. 2008. Alternative forest resource use - outdoor recreation and rural economics.
- Gyawali, Buddhi; Fraser, Rory; Bukenya, James; Schelhas, John. 2008. Income convergence in a rural, majority African American region.
- Pfeffer, Max J.; Schelhas, John W.; Meola, Catherine. 2006. Environmental globalization, organizational form, and expected benefits from protected areas in Central America.
- Kebede, Ellene; Ngandu, Mudiayi; Schelhas, John; Batalia, Doris. 2006. Recreational demand for Tuskegee National Forest, a non-market valuation.
- Gyawali, Buddhi R.; Fraser, Rory F.; Wang, Yong; Tadesse, Wubishet; Bukenya, James; Schelhas, John. 2006. Spatial analysis of the change in land cover and human well-being in the black-belt counties of Alabama.
- Gan, Jianbang; Onianwa, Okwuldili O.; Schelhas, John; Wheelock, Gerald C.; Dubois, Mark R. 2005. Does race matter in landowners' participation in conservation incentive programs?.
- Schelhas, John; Zabawa, Robert. 2005. Model forest landowners in Alabama: are they different from typical landowners?.
- Zhang, Yaoqi; Zhang, Daowei; Schelhas, John. 2005. Small-scale non-industrial private forest ownership in the United States: rationale and implications for forest management.
- Onianwa, Okwudili; Wheelock, Gerald; Gyawali, Buddhi; Gan, Jianbang; Dubois, Mark; Schelhas, John. 2004. An analysis of factors affecting participation behavior of limited resource farmers in agricultural cost-share programs in Alabama.
- Schelhas, John. 2004. Natural enemies: people-wildlife conflicts in anthropological perspective.
- Molnar, Joseph J.; Schelhas, John; Holeski, Carrie. 2003. Controlling the Southern Pine Beetle: Small Landowner Perceptions and Practices.
- Crim, Sarah Day; Dubois, Mark; Bailey, Conner; Schelhas, John. 2003. Female forestland owners: Characterization of assistance needs.
- Schelhas, John. 2002. Activities of the Alabama Consortium on forestry education and research, 1993-1999.
- Schelhas, John; Sherman, Ruth E.; Fahey, Timothy J.; Lassoie, James P. 2002. Linking community and national park development: A case from the Dominican Republic.
- Schelhas, John; Buck, Louise E.; Geisler, Charles C.; Wollenberg, Eva, eds. 2001. Ecoregional management in southern Costa Rica: Finding a role for adaptive collaborative management.
- Nicholson, Charles F.; Blake, Robert W.; Reid, Robin S.; Schelhas, John. 2001. Enviromental impacts of livestock on the developing world.
- Schelhas, John; Lassoie, James P. 2001. Learning Conservation and Sustainable Development: An Interdisciplinary Approach.
- Schelhas, John. 2000. Catalyzing sustainability: Cornell University's field practicum in conservation and sustainable development.