Jessica R. Haas
Data Services Specialist
200 E Broadway
Missoula , MT 59807
Contact Jessica R. Haas
I am a spatial analysist for the National Fire Decision Support Center (NFDSC) economics research group. My research is focused on using quantative spatial techniques and computer programming to develop wildland fire management decision support and risk assessment/mitigation tools and software. Currently, I am working on incorporating future climate change weather scenarios into wildland fire simulation modelling to assess how wildland fire risk to highly valued resources may be changing in the future. I am also involved in projects related to Wildland Urban Interface mapping and risk assessment as it pertains to the National Fire Cohesive Strategy.
My research interests are focused on the ecological and social implications of climate change and weather extremes, in particular as it pertains to distrubances, ecological productivity (NPP/GPP) and protected area management.
- University of Montana, Ph.D. Candidate Forestry, 2013
- University of Montana, MS Resource Conservation, 2010
- University at Albany, BA Anthropology & Psychology, 2003
- Data Services Specialist, US Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station
2010 - Current
- GIS Specialist and Cartographer, Private Consultant, Big Sky Planning
2005 - 2011
- Graduate Research Assitant, NTSG, University of Montana
2008 - 2010
- Archaeologist and spatial analyst, Private Consultant, Landmark Archaeology, Interesources Planning, BLM, US Forest Service,
2000 - 2006
Featured Publications & Products
- Haas, Jessica R.; Calkin, David E.; Thompson, Matthew P. 2013. A national approach for integrating wildfire simulation modeling into Wildland Urban Interface risk assessments within the United States.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Vaillant, Nicole M.; Haas, Jessica R.; Gebert, Krista M.; Stockmann, Keith D. 2013. Quantifying the potential impacts of fuel treatments on wildfire suppression costs.
Publications & Products
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Haas, Jessica R.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie W.; Scott, Joe H.; Langowski, Paul; Bowne, Elise; Calkin, David E. 2015. Development and application of a geospatial wildfire exposure and risk calculation tool.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Haas, Jessica R.; Finney, Mark A.; Calkin, David E.; Hand, Michael S.; Browne, Mark J.; Halek, Martin; Short, Karen C.; Grenfell, Isaac C. 2015. Development and application of a probabilistic method for wildfire suppression cost modeling.
- Hansen, Andrew J.; Piekielek, Nathan; Davis, Cory; Haas, Jessica; Theobald, David M.; Gross, John E.; Monahan, William B.; Olliff, Tom; Running, Steven W. 2014. Exposure of U.S. National Parks to land use and climate change 1900-2100.
- Tillery, Anne C.; Haas, Jessica R.; Miller, Lara W.; Scott, Joe H.; Thompson, Matthew P. 2014. Potential postwildfire debris-flow hazards - a prewildfire evaluation for the Sandia and Manzano Mountains and surrounding areas, central New Mexico.
- Haas, Jessica R.; Calkin, David E.; Thompson, Matthew P. 2014. Wildfire risk transmission in the Colorado Front Range, USA.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Scott, Joe; Langowski, Paul G.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie W.; Haas, Jessica R.; Bowne, Elise M. 2013. Assessing watershed-wildfire risks on National Forest System lands in the Rocky Mountain Region of the United States.