359 Main Road
Delaware, OH 43015
Contact Joanne Rebbeck
Current ResearchI am studying the influence of forest management practices, specifically prescribed fire, shelterwood harvests, and herbicides on oak regeneration in Central Appalachian mixed oak forests in Ohio and Pennsylvania. At the Ohio Hills site of the national Fire and Fire Surrogates Study (FFS), I am studying the impact of prescribed fire and overstory thinning on the survival and growth of oak and hickory seedlings as well as their competitors (red maple, yellow-poplar, beech and blackgum). In collaboration with Todd Hutchinson, I am investigating the use of shelterwood harvests, prescribed fire and herbicides to promote oak regeneration. I have recently begun a new project with Todd Hutchinson, Daniel Yaussy, Louis Iverson and Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Forestry, to study the interactions of prescribed fire in managed oak forests with the invasive tree, Ailanthus altissima.
I am actively involved in educational outreach programs with local schools. I am partnering with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Ohio, Wayne National Forest, US Fish and Wildlife, Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Forestry, Columbus and Delaware City Schools to provide fifth graders overnight camping and environmental education experiences with funding through a More Kids in the Woods grant. In 2006, Kathleen Knight and I initiated a research project with local middle school students to study the impacts of Emerald Ash Borer within the school's woodlot.
- Study the ecophysiology of the major eastern hickory species.
- Compare the responses of hickory and oak species to prescribed fires and other forest management practices.
- North Carolina State University, Ph.D. Botany, 1987
- Rutgers University, M.S. Plant Pathology, 1983
- Cook College, Rutgers University, B.S. Plant Science, 1980
- Ecological Society of America
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
- Society of American Foresters
- Ohio Member of Invasive Plant Network and Southeastern Ohio Non-native Invasive Species Interest Group
Featured Publications & Products
- Rebbeck, Joanne; Scherzer, Amy; Gottschalk, Kurt. 2012. Do chestnut, northern red, and white oak germinant seedlings respond similary to light treatments? II. Gas exchange and chlorophyll responses.
- Knight, Kathleen S.; Herms, Daniel A.; Cardina, John; Long, Robert; Rebbeck, Joanne; Gandhi, Kamal J.K.; Smith, Annemarie; Klooster, Wendy S.; Herms, Catherine P.; Royo, Alejandro A. 2010. Emerald ash borer aftermath forests: The dynamics of ash mortality and the responses of other plant species.
- Knight, Kathleen S.; Long, Robert P.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Herms, Daniel A.; Cardina, John; Herms, Catherine P.; Gandhi, Kamal J.K.; Smith, Annemarie; Costilow, Kyle C.; Long, Lawrence C.; Cappaert, David L. 2010. Effects of emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis) on forest ecosystems.
- Kula, Robert R.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Bauer, Leah S.; Cappaert, David L.; Gandhi, Kamal J.K. 2010. Leluthia astigma (Ashmead) (Hymenoptera: Braconidae: Doryctinae) as a parasitoid of Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae: Agrilinae), with an assessment of host associations for nearctic species of Leluthia Cameron..
- Knight, Kathleen S.; Long, Robert P.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Smith, Annemarie; Gandhi, Kamal; Herms, Daniel A. 2008. How fast will trees die? A transition matrix model of ash decline in forest stands infested by emerald ash borer.
Publications & Products
- Rebbeck, J.; Malone, M.A.; Short, D.P.G.; Kasson, M.T.; O'Neal, E.S.; Davis, D.D. 2013. First report of Verticillium wilt caused by Verticillium nonalfalfae on tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima) in Ohio.
- Flower, Charles E.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Gonzalez-Meler, Miquel A. 2013. The relationship between the emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis) and ash (Fraxinus spp.) tree decline: Using visual canopy condition assessments and leaf isotope measurements to assess pest damage.
- Rebbeck, Joanne. 2012. Fire management and woody invasive plants in oak ecosystems.
- Hutchinson, Todd F.; Yaussy, Daniel A.; Long, Robert P.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Sutherland, Elaine Kennedy. 2012. Long-term (13-year) effects of repeated prescribed fires on stand structure and tree regeneration in mixed-oak forests.
- Hutchinson, Todd F.; Long, Robert P.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Sutherland, Elaine Kennedy; Yaussy, Daniel A. 2012. Repeated prescribed fires alter gap-phase regeneration in mixed-oak forests.
- Rebbeck, Joanne; Gottschalk, Kurt; Scherzer, Amy. 2011. Do chestnut, northern red, and white oak germinant seedlings respond similarly to light treatments? Growth and biomass.
- Rebbeck, Joanne; Hutchinson, Todd; Iverson, Louis; Yaussy, Daniel; Boyles, Robert; Bowden, Michael. 2010. Studying the effects of management practices on Ailanthus populations in Ohio forests: A research update.
- Huang, Jianjun; Boerner, Ralph E.J.; Rebbeck, Joanne. 2007. Ecophysiological responses of two herbaceous species to prescribed burning, alone or in combination with overstory thinning.
- Huebner, Cynthia D.; McQuattie, Carolyn; Rebbeck, Joanne. 2007. Mycorrhizal associations in Ailanthus altissima (Simaroubaceae) from forested and non-forested sites.
- Knight, Kathleen S.; Long, Robert P.; Rebbeck, Joanne. 2007. Predicting emerald ash borer-induced changes in forest tree species composition.
- Yaussy, Daniel A.; Hutchinson, Todd; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Rebbeck, Joanne. 2006. Fire research on the Raccoon Ecological Management Area.
- Long, Robert P.; Apsley, David K; Rebbeck, Joanne. 2006. Oak and maple stump sprout dynamics in response to thinning and burning treatments in southern Ohio.
- Rebbeck , Joanne; Yaussy, Daniel; Iverson, Louis; Hutchinson, Todd; Long, Robert; Bova, Anthony; Dickinson, Matthew. 2006. Use of temperature-sensitive paints as an index of heat output from fire.
- Rebbeck, Joanne; Hutchinson, Todd F.; Long, Robert P.; Long, Robert P. 2005. Invasive Plants Affecting the Management of Ohio's Forests.
- Iverson, Louis R.; Prasad, Anantha M.; Rebbeck, Joanne. 2004. A Comparison of the Integrated Moisture Index and the Topographic Wetness Index as Related to Two Years Of Soil Moisture Monitoring in Zaleski State Forest, Ohio.
- Iverson, Louis R.; Yaussy, Daniel A.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Hutchinson, Todd F.; Long, Robert P.; Prasad, Anantha M. 2004. A comparison of thermocouples and temperature paints to monitor spatial and temporal characteristics of landscape-scale prescribed fires.
- Hutchinson, Todd; Rebbeck, Joanne; Long, Robert. 2004. Abundant Establishment of Ailanthus altissima (Tree-of-heaven) after Restoration Treatments in an Upland Oak Forest.
- McQuattie, Carolyn J.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Yaussy, Daniel A. 2004. Effects of Fire and Thinning on Growth, Mycorrhizal Colonization, and Leaf Anatomy of Black Oak and Red Maple Seedlings.
- Iverson, Louis; Prasad, Anantha; Hutchinson, Todd; Rebbeck, Joanne; Yaussy, Daniel A. 2004. Fire and Thinning in an Ohio Oak Forest: Grid-Based Analyses of Fire Behavior, Environmental Conditions, and Tree Regeneration Across a Topographic Moisture Gradient.
- Rebbeck, Joanne; Scherzer, Amy J.; Loats, Ken V. 2004. Foliar physiology of yellow-poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera L.) exposed to O3 and elevated CO2 over five seasons.
- Long, Robert P.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Traylor, Zachary P. 2004. Oak Stump Sprout Health and Survival Following Thinning and Prescribed Burning in Southern Ohio.
- Rebbeck, Joanne; Long, Robert; Yaussy, Daniel. 2004. Survival of Hardwood Seedlings and Saplings Following Overstory Thinning and Prescribed Fires in Mixed-Oak Forests of Southern Ohio.
- Rebbeck, Joanne; Long, Robert P.; Yaussy, Daniel A. 2004. Survival of Hardwood Seedlings and Saplings One Year Following a Prescribed Fire and Overstory Thinning in Southeastern Ohio.
- Yaussy, Daniel; Rebbeck, Joanne; Iverson, Louis; Hutchinson, Todd; Long, Robert. 2003. Comparison of a low-tech vs. a high-tech method to evaluate surface fire temperatures.
- Scherzer, Amy J.; Long, Robert P.; Rebbeck, Joanne. 2003. Foliar nutrient concentrations of oak, hickory, and red maple.
- Iverson, Louis R.; Yaussy, Daniel; Rebbeck, Joanne; Hutchinson, Todd; Long, Robert; McCarthy, Brian; Riccardi, Cynthia; Prasad, Anantha. 2003. Spatial and temporal distribution of fire temperatures from prescribed fires in the mixed oak forests of southern Ohio.
- Rebbeck, J.; Scherzer, A.J. 2002. Growth responses of yellow-poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera L.) exposed to 5 years of O3 alone or combined with elevated CO2.
- Isebrands, Judson G.; Dickson, Richard E.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Karnosky, David F. 2000. Interacting effects of multiple stresses on growth and physiological processes in northern forest trees.
- Rebbeck, Joanne. 1996. The chronic response of yellow-poplar and eastern white pine to ozone and elevated carbon dioxide: three-year summary.
|Destructive Emerald Ash Borer Pest Provides Science Learning Opportunity for Kids|
This effort has led to the development of a week-long EAB curriculum that gives kids hands-on experience with the process of science while doing ...
|Fungus Looks Like Promising Weapon Against Invasive Tree|
Forest Service scientists are studying a North American fungus that selectively kills ailanthus trees. Preliminary tests of other Ohio native tr ...
|Monitoring of the Invasive Tree, Ailanthus, Takes Flight Over Ohio Forests|
Ailanthus altissima, a rapidly growing invasive non-native tree, is spreading into many forested landscapes in the eastern United States and dis ...