Program Specialist, eResearch
Forestry Sciences Laboratory, P.O. Box 12254
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2254
Contact John Pye
Today's activities are focused on improving the interaction of Forest Service researchers with their customers through web content that is rich, dynamic and current and demonstrating that our management of that research is driven by strategic vision toward solid results. Collaborations through VIVO, Star Metrics, and the Science.gov Alliance help identify best practices and forge strategic partnerships.
Check out profiles elsewhere:
Most of Mr. Pye's research has been conducted as an ecologist working with economists to illuminate the social and ecologic interactions that shape our forests and the benefits that derive from them. Early work was on acid rain and air pollution effects on trees and stands, and an evaluation of the costs and benefits of research to control fusiform rust damage in southern pines. Wildfires in Florida in 1998 encouraged investigations there and beyond into the economics of wildfires. A continuing area of research has been in the regional dynamics and control of southern pine beetle.
Why This Research is Important
Science delivery is an essential part of the agency's mission. Transparency of operations, objectives, and accomplishments builds trust with taxpayers, collaborabors, and future partners.
- University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, MA Ecology, 1982
- Swarthmore College, BA Biology, 1976
- Program Specialist - eResearch, USDA Forest Service, Southern Research Station
2010 - Current
Oversees the eResearch Program including the Research Information Tracking System, support for national R&D web efforts, and contract and hosting assistance to the Research Data Archive and related data management efforts.
- Ecologist, U.S. Forest Service, Southern Research Station
1985 - 2010
Investigated the broad scale interactions of forest health and economics, including wildfire incidence, suppression and fuel management; southern pine beetle dynamics; fusiform rust research and its economic effectiveness; and air pollution's effects from seedlings to stands. Supported communication of research results by designing and implementing websites and soliciting and managing the organization and summarization of research to meet customer needs.
- Management consultant, Macro Systems, Inc., Silver Spring, MD
1977 - 1979
Supported management analyses, cost-benefit studies, and research management systems for federal civilian clients.
- Research technician/programmer, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia
1976 - 1976
Performed stream sampling, data analysis and programming at the Stroud Water Research Laboratory in southeastern Pennsylvania.
- Ecological Society of America, Member (1981 - Current)
- Society of American Foresters, Member (1981 - Current)
Awards & Recognition
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2009
For serving on the FS Information Resources Strategic Framework Core Team and helping to set a long-term strategy for the management and use of the Information Resources in the Agency.
- Natural Resource Stewardship Award, 2008
Station Director's Award, Southern Research Station
- Research Professional Support Award, 2008
Station Director's Award, Southern Research Station
- USDA Certificate of Appreciation, 1997
For your work on the Southern Appalachian Assessment, which recently received the Chief's 1997 National Ecosystem Management Award and Vice President Gore's Hammer Award.
Featured Publications & Products
- Pye, John M.; Rauscher, H. Michael; Sands, Yasmeen; Lee, Danny C.; Beatty, Jerome S., tech. eds. 2010. Advances in threat assessment and their application to forest and rangeland management—Volume 1.
- Pye, John M.; Rauscher, H. Michael; Sands, Yasmeen; Lee, Danny C.; Beatty, Jerome S., tech. eds. 2010. Advances in threat assessment and their application to forest and rangeland management—Volume 2.
- Pye, John M.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Wear, David N. 2011. Economic Impacts of the Southern Pine Beetle.
- Pye, John M.; Wagner, John E.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Cubbage, Frederick W. 1997. Positive Returns from Investment in Fusiform Rust Research.
- Pye, John M. 1988. Impact of Ozone on the Growth and Yield of Trees: A Review.
- Pye, John M.; Rauscher, H. Michael; Kennard, Deborah K.; Flebbe, Patricia A.; Jordin, J. Bryan; Hubbard, William G.; Fowler, Cynthia; Ward, James. 2007. Using web-based technology to deliver scientific knowledge: the Southern Forest Encyclopedia Network..
Publications & Products
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Huggett, Robert J.; Pye, John M. 2008. Forest economics, natural disturbances and the new ecology.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Mercer, D. Evan; Pye, John M. 2008. Natural disturbance production functions.
- Mercer, D. Evan; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Butry, David T.; Pye, John M. 2007. Evaluating alternative prescribed burning policies to reduce net economic damages from wildfire.
- Wear, David; Pye, John; Riitters, Kurt H. 2004. Defining conservation priorities using fragmentation forecasts.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Pye, John M.; Holmes, Thomas P. 2004. Temporal Aggregation and Testing For Timber Price Behavior.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Pye, John M.; Butry, David T.; Mercer, D. Evan; Abt, Karen L. 2004. Using Size-Frequency Distributions to Analyze Fire Regimes in Florida.
- Pye, John M.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Butry, David T.; Abt, Karen L. 2003. Prescribed burning and wildfire risk in the 1998 fire season in Florida.
- Butry, David T.; Pye, John M.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P. 2002. Prescribed Fire In the Interface: Separating The People From The Trees.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Pye, John M.; Butry, David T.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Mercer, D. Evan. 2002. Understanding Broadscale Wildfire Risks in a Human-Dominated Landscape.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Mercer, D. Evan; Pye, John M.; Butry, David T.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Abt, Karen L. 2001. Economically optimal wildfire intervention regimes.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Pye, John M.; Holmes, Thomas P. 2001. Timber economics of natural catastrophes.
- Butry, David T.; Mercer, D. Evan; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Pye, John M.; Holmes, Thomas P. 2001. What Is the Price of Catastrophic Wildfire?.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Pye, John M. 2000. A Technique for Merging Areas in Timber Mart-South Data.
- Cubbage, F.W.; Pye, John M.; Holmes, T.P.; Wagner, J.E. 2000. An economic evaluation of fusiform rust protection research.
- Gumpertz, M. L.; Wu, C.-T.; Pye, John M. 2000. Logistic regression for southern pine beetle outbreaks with spatial and temporal autocorrelation.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Pye, John M.; Abt, Karen Lee; Wear, David N. 1999. Market Definition For Hardwood Timber in the Southern Appalachians.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Pye, John M. 1999. Merging Areas In Timber Mart South Data.
- Pye, J.M.; de Steiguer, J.E.; Love, C. 1988. Expert opinion survey on the impacts of air pollutants on forests of the USA.
- de Steiguer, Joseph E.; Hedden, Roy L.; Pye, John M. 1987. Optimal Level of Expenditure to Control the Southern Pine Beetle.