51 Mill Pond Road
Hamden, CT 06514
- Research to improve and refine in vivo production of Gypchek continues. Gypchek is the only gypsy moth-specific pesticide available for use in wide-area State and Federal cooperative suppression and eradication programs.
- Research on in vitro-produced strains of gypsy moth virus that are being developed to replace the current in vivo product has intensified. In 2005, a ground-based field experiment was conducted in Delaware in collaboration with the Agricultural Research Service, RWU-4509, and university scientists. The objective was to compare the efficacy of a range of doses of high-potency viral strains produced in vivo and in vitro with the same doses of in vivo-produced Gypchek. Efficacy data obtained from this experiment have been collected and will be used to establish doses for an aerial test of in vitro-produced virus in FY-2006. An epizootiological study on how the spatial distribution of virus on foliage relates to in season transmission of disease was completed.
- Research is underway with Russian colleagues in Novosibirsk to determine appropriate field doses of Gypchek for use against Asian strains of gypsy moth if they should become established in the USA.
- To continue the necessary research toward bringing a cost-effective in vitro Gypchek to the marketplace.
- To develop alternatives to aerial application for introducing Gypchek into infested habitats.
- To investigate the potential for developing microorganisms associated with high-risk invasive forest insects as microbial control agents.
Featured Publications & Products
- Podgwaite, J.D.; Zerillo, R.T.; Slavicek, J.M.; Hayes-Plazolles, N. 2011. Relative potencies of gypsy moth nucleopolyhedrovirus genotypes isolated from Gypchek.
- Valaitis, Algimantas P.; Podgwaite, John D. 2011. Comparative analysis of Bacillus thuringiensis toxin binding to gypsy moth, browntail moth, and douglas-fir tussock moth midgut tissue sections using fluorescence microscopy.
- D'Amico, Vincent; Slavicek, James; Podgwaite, John; Fuester, Roger; Peiffer, Randy; Webb, Ralph. 2009. The effect of a mutation on field transmission of LdMNPV.
- D'Amico, Vincent D.; Slavicek, James; Podgwaite, John; Thorpe, Kevin; Webb, Ralph; Fuester, Roger; Peiffer, Randy. 2008. An indepth look at new viral strains for use in Gypchek.
- Podgwaite, John; Martemyanov, Viatcheslav; Bakhvalov, Stanislav. 2007. Pathogenicity of two nucleopolyhedrovirus products, Virin NSh and Gypchek, for Asian and North American gypsy moth larvae.
Publications & Products
- Valaitis, Algimantas P.; Podgwaite, John D. 2013. Bacillus thuringiensis Cry1A toxin-binding glycoconjugates present on the brush border membrane and in the peritrophic membrane of the Douglas-fir tussock moth are peritrophins.
- Podgwaite, John D.; D'Amico, Vincent; Zerillo, Roger T.; Schoenfeldt, Heidi. 2013. Bacteria associated with larvae and adults of the Asian longhorned beetle (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae).
- Podgwaite, John D.; Slavicek, James M.; Thorpe, Kevin W.; Webb, Ralph E.; Fuester, Roger W.; D'Amico, Vincent; Peiffer, Randel A.; Valenti, Michael A. 2013. Dose responses of in vivo- and in vitro-produced strains of gypsy moth (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae) nucleopolyhedrovirus (LdMNPV) applied with and without the virus enhancer Blankophor BBH.
- Reardon, Richard; Podgwaite, John; Zerillo, Roger. 2012. Gypcheck environmentally safe viral insecticide for gypsy moth control.
- Bakhvalov, S.A.; Martemyanov, V.V.; Podgwaite, J.D.; Podgwait, J.D. 2005. Comparative biological activities of two nucleopolyhedrovirus preparations: Virin NSH and Gypchek (in Russian).
- Webb, R.E.; White, G.B.; Podgwaite, J.D.; D'Amico, V.; Slavicek, J.; Swearingen, J.; Onken, B.; Thorpe, K.W. 2005. Comparison of aerially-applied Gypchek strains against gypsy moth (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae) in the presence of an Entomophaga maimaiga epizootic.
- Slavicek, James; Elkinton, Joseph; Podgwaite, John. 2005. Control of the Browntail Moth in Maine with a Baculovirus.
- D'amico, Vincent; Podgwaite, John D.; Duke, Sara; Duke, Sara. 2004. Biological Activity of Bacillus thuringiensis and Associated Toxins against the Asian Longhorned Beetle (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae).
- Webb, R.E.; White, G.B.; Sukontarak, T.; Podgwaite, J.D.; Schumacher, D.; Reardon, R.C. 2004. Biological efficacy of Gypchek against a low-density leading-edge gypsy moth population.
- Webb, R. E.; White, G. B.; Thorpe, K. W.; Slavicek, J. M.; Podgwaite, J. D.; Fuester, R. W.; Taylor, P. B.; Peiffer, R. A.; Valenti, M. A. 2003. Evaluation of production method and formulation for optimizing in-vitro produced Gypchek.
- D'Amico, Vincent; Elkinton, Joseph S.; Podgwaite, John D.; Slavicek, James M.; McManus, Michael L.; Burand, John P. 1999. A field release of genetically engineered gypsy moth (Lymantria dispar L.) Nuclear Polyhedrosis Virus (LdNPV).
- Podgwaite, John D. 1999. GYPCHEK biological insecticide for the gypsy moth.
- Thorpe, Kevin W.; Podgwaite, John D.; Slavicek, James M.; Webb, Ralph E. 1998. Gypsy moth (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae) control with ground-based hydraulic applications of Gypchek, in vitro-produced virus, and Bacillus thuringiensis.
- Slavicek, James M.; Podgwaite, John; Lanner-Herrera, Carita. 1992. Properties of two Lymantria dispar nuclear polyhedrosis virus isolates obtained from the microbial pesticide Gypchek.
- Webb, R. E.; Shapiro, M.; Podgwaite, J. D.; Cohen, D. D.; Ridgway, R. L. 1991. Evaluation of the Abington isolate of the gypsy moth nuclear polyhedrosis virus against a formulation of Gypchek in small field plots.
- Podgwaite, John D. 1991. Gypchek? use pattern realities.
- Podgwaite, J. D. 1985. Gypchek®: past and future strategies for use.
- Podgwaite, J. D.; Galipeau, P. R. 1978. Effect of nucleopolyhedrosis virus on two avian predators of the gypsy moth.
- Podgwaite, J.D.; Bruen, R.B. 1978. Procedures for the microbiological examination of production batch preparations of the nuclear polyhedrosis virus (Baculovirus) of the gypsy moth, Lymantria dispar, L.
- Lautenschlager, R.A.; Kircher, C.H.; Podgwaite, J.D. 1977. Effect of Nucleopolyhedrosis Virus on Selected Mammalian Predators of the Gypsy Moth.
- Podgwaite, John D.; Cosenza, Benjamin J. 1966. Bacteria of living and dead larvae of Porthetria dispar (L.).