241 Mercer Springs Road
Princeton, WV 24740
Contact John Brown
Forest biometrics, Silviculture, Forest Disturbance, Energy Development Issues in Forestry.
Why This Research is Important
Growth and yield modeling is an important tool for consultants, land managers, and software developers with new models needing to be developed for Appalachian forests. Appalachian hardwoods are an important component of the area’s hardwood forest products industry and the effects of silvicultural treatment on tree quality (tree grade) can further guide management's long term growing choices. Central Appalachian red spruce stands are endangered ecosystems in need of restoration.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University , Doctor of Philosophy Forestry and Forest Products (Forest Biometrics), 2009
- Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, Bachelor of Science Environmental Science, 1994
- Research Forester, USDA Forest Service
2010 - Current
- Mathematical Statistician, USDA Forest Service
2000 - 2009
Featured Publications & Products
- Knight, Kathleen S.; Brown, John P.; Long, Robert P. 2013. Factors affecting the survival of ash (Fraxinus spp.) trees infested by emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis).
- Brown, John P.; Oderwald, Richard G. 2012. Sampling estimators of total mill receipts for use in timber product output studies.
- Brown, John P.; Westfall, James A. 2012. An evaluation of the properties of the variance estimator used by FIA.
- Brown, John; Lister, Andrew J.; Fajvan, Mary Ann; Ruefenacht, Bonnie; Mazzarella, Christine. 2012. Modeling forest ecosystem changes resulting from surface coal mining in West Virginia.
- Brown, John; Wiedenbeck, Janice K.; Gazo, Rado; Yaussy, Daniel A. 2004. Silvicultural Treatment Effects on Hardwood Tree Quality on the Vinton Furnace Experimental Forest.
Publications & Products
- Brown, John P.; Sendak, Paul E. 2006. Association of ring shake in eastern hemlock with tree attributes.
- Brown, John; Miller, Gary W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W. 2004. Effects of Alternative Thinning Treatments on Tree Grades at Three Upland Hardwood Sites in Kentucky and Ohio: 30 Year Results.
- Wiedenbeck, Jan; Brown, John; Bennett, Neal. 2003. Crook and overlength in hardwood lumber:results from a 14-mill survey.
- Brown, John W. 1993. Economics and agroforestry.