Joan L. Walker
Research Plant Ecologist
233 Lehotsky Hall, Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634
Contact Joan L. Walker
I am studying the population dynamics, breeding system, habitat requirements of, and fire effects on rare plants in longleaf pine communities.Specifically, I am working on Macbridea alba, Harperocallis flava, Scutellaria floridana, and Echinacea laevigata (not longleaf systems).I am also working in the fall-line sandhills of South Carolina to develop strategies for restoring structure and composition in the ground layer vegetation of altered longleaf pine communities.Sandhills work includes evaluating the effects and interactions of mechanical treatments and prescribed fire on midstory reduction, and describing life histories and establishment requirements for common sandhills herbs.I am working with others to develop a monitoring strategy for Allium tricoccum (ramps) and to model population processes of this species in the Southern Appalachians.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Ph.D. Biology, 1985
Featured Publications & Products
- Mudder, Bryan T.; Wang, G. Geoff; Walker, Joan L.; Lanham, J. Drew; Costa, Ralph. 2010. Effects of fire season on vegetation in longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) forests.
- Walker, Joan L.; Silletti, Andrea M.; Cohen, Susan. 2010. Composition and structure of managed pine stands compared to reference longleaf pine sites on Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
- Knapp, Benjamin O.; Wang, G. Geoff; Walker, Joan L. 2010. Artificially regenerating longleaf pine on wet sites: preliminary analysis of effects of site preparation treatments on early survival and growth.
- Knapp, Benjamin O.; Wang, G. Geoff; Van Lear, David H.; Walker, Joan L. 2006. Predicting root biomass of burned and unburned white oak advance reproduction from diameter and height.
- Knapp, Benjamin O.; Wang, G. Geoff; Walker, Joan L.; Cohen, Susan. 2006. Effects of site preparation treatments on early growth and survival of planted longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) seedlings in North Carolina.
Publications & Products
- Knapp, Benjamin O.; Walker, Joan L.; Wang, G. Geoff; Hu, Huifeng; Addington, Robert N. . 2014. Effects of overstory retention, herbicides, and fertilization on sub-canopy vegetation structure and functional group composition in loblolly pine forests restored to longleaf pine.
- Brudvig, Lars A.; Orrock, John L.; Damschen, Ellen I.; Collins, Cathy D.; Hahn, Philip G.; Mattingly, W. Brett; Veldman, Joseph W.; Walker, Joan L. 2014. Land-use history and contemporary management inform an ecological reference model for longleaf pine woodland understory plant communities.
- Knapp, Benjamin O.; Wang, G. Geoff; Walker, Joan L. 2013. Effects of canopy structure and cultural treatments on the survival and growth of Pinus palustris Mill. seedlings underplanted in Pinus taeda L. stands.
- Hu, Huifeng; Knapp, Benjamin O.; Wang, G. Geoff; Walker, Joan L. 2013. Effects of canopy treatments on early growth of planted longleaf pine seedlings and ground vegetation in North Carolina: a preliminary study.
- Ryu, Soung-Ryoul; Wang, G. Geoff; Walker, Joan L. 2013. The health of loblolly pine stands at Fort Benning, GA.
- Wenk, Evelyn S.; Wang, G. Geoff; Walker, Joan L. 2013. Understory fuel variation at the Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge: a description of chemical and physical properties.
- Knapp, Benjamin O.; Walker, Joan L. 2013. Using existing growth models to predict RCW habitat development following site preparation: pitfalls of the process and potential growth response.
- Oswalt, Christopher M.; Cooper, Jason A.; Brockway, Dale G.; Brooks, Horace W.; Walker, Joan L.; Connor, Kristina F.; Oswalt, Sonja N.; Conner, Roger C. 2012. History and current condition of longleaf pine in the Southern United States.
- Hu, Huifeng; Wang, G.Geoff; Walker, Joan L.; Knapp, Benjamin O. 2012. Silvicultural treatments for converting loblolly pine to longleaf pine dominance: Effects on planted longleaf pine seedlings.
- Hu, Huifeng; Wang, G.Geoff; Walker, Joan L.; Knapp, Benjamin O. 2012. Silvicultural treatments for converting loblolly pine to longleaf pine dominance: Effects on resource availability and their relationships with planted longleaf pine seedlings.
- Knapp, Ben; Geoff, Wang; Hu, Huifeng; Walker, Joan; Tennant, Carsyn. 2011. Restoring longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) stands: Effects of restoration treatments on natural loblolly pine regeneration.
- Connor, K.F.; Brockway, D.G.; Haywood, J.D.; Goelz, J.C.G.; Sword-Sayer, M.A.; Sung, S-JS.; Walker, J.L. 2007. Restoring and managing longleaf pine ecosystems in the southern United States: Southern Research Station Unit SRS-4158.
- Knapp, Benjamin O.; Wang, G. Geoff; Walker, Joan L.; van Lear, David H. 2006. Can root biomass of white oak advance regeneration be reliably predicted from diameter and height?.
- Knapp, Benjamin O.; Wang, G. Geoff; Walker, Joan L. 2006. Early growth of planted longleaf pine seedlings in relation to light, soil moisture, and soil temperature.
- Cohen, Susan; Walker, Joan. 2006. Early longleaf pine seedling survivorship on hydric soils.
- Walker, Joan L.; Silletti, Andrea M. 2005. A three-year demographic study of Harper's beauty (Harperocallis flava McDaniel), an endangered Florida endemic.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Guldin, James M.; Boyer, William D.; Walker, Joan L.; Rudolph, D. Craig; Rummer, Robert B.; Barnett, James P.; Jose, Shibu; Nowak, Jarek. 2005. Uneven-aged management of longleaf pine forests: a scientist and manager dialogue.
- Godt, M.J.W.; Walker, Joan L.; Hamrick, J.L. 2004. Allozyme diversity in Macbridea alba (Lamiaceae), an endemic Florida mint.
- Walker, Joan L.; van Eerden, Brian P.; Robinson, David; Hausch, Mike. 2004. Burning and chopping for woodpeckers and wiregrass?.
- Silletti, Andrea M.; Walker, Joan. 2003. Adaptive cluster sampling: An efficient method for assessing inconspicuous species.
- Schulze, Dana Madsen; Walker, John L.; Spira, Timothy P. 2002. Germination and Seed Bank Studies of Macbridea alba (Lamiaceae), a Federally Theatened Plant.
- Pitts-Singer, Theresa; Hanula, James L.; Walker, Joan L. 2002. Insect Pollinators of Three Rare Plants in a Florida Longleaf Pine Forest.
- Smith, Gregory P.; Shelburne, Victor B.; Walker, Joan L. 2002. Structure and Composition of Vegetation of Longleaf Pine Plantations Compared to Natural Stands Occurring Along an Environmental Gradient at the Savannah River Site.
- White, Peter S.; Harrod, Jonathan; Walker, Joan L.; Jentsch, Anke. 2000. Disturbance, Scale, and Boundary in Wilderness Management.
- White, Peter S.; Harrod, Jonathan; Walker, Joan L.; Jentsch, Anke. 2000. Disturbance, scale, and boundary in wilderness management.
- Barnett, Jim; Busby, Rod; Burke, Marianne; Bridgwater, Floyd; English, Don; Hanula, Jim; Herbert, Nancy; Johnsen, Kurt; Kard, Brad; Klepzig, Kier; McMahon, Charlie; Prestemon, Jeff; Rials, Tim; Rummer, Bob; Shelton, Mike; Thill, Ron; Waldrop, Tom; Walker, Joan; Walters, Nancy. 2000. Sustainability and productivity of southern pine ecosystems.
- Walker, Joan L. 1999. Longleaf Pine Ecosystem Restoration on Small and Mid-Sized Tracts.
- Walker, Joan L. 1999. Longleaf pine forests and woodlands: old growth under fire!.
- Covington, Wallace; Niering, William A.; Starkey, Ed; Walker, Joan. 1998. Ecosystem Restoration and Management: Scientific Principles and Concepts\t.
- Walker, Joan; Peet, Robert K. 1983. Composition and species diversity of pine-wiregrass savannas of the Green Swamp, North Carolina.