240 West Prospect
Fort Collins, CO 80525
Contact Jose Negron
My current research studies include developing field-based developmental models for various bark beetles to develop predictive models and use these for examining changes in population dynamics under a climate change scenarios. I am aslo conducting studies on the interactions betweek bark beetle-caused mortality and subsequent fire occurrence, down woody debris accumulations, impacts on foliar moisture, and fire behavior modeling. Other studies include biological aspects of mountain pine beetle in Colorado, which has been very little studied, such as the role of of parent adults in population biology, flight under different stand conditions, phloem consumption, quantification of brood production from trees growing under different densities. I am also examining questions on host transition by mountain pine beetle and the genetic structure of beetles emerging from different hosts and outbreak locations.
Future direction of my work is the biology, ecology, and management of western bark beetles under climate change. Cnotinuing basic biology field studies, the examination of questions relating host transitions and the genetic structure of populations.
Although there is abundant literature on many aspects of the biology and ecology of the major bark beetles, such as mountain pine beetle in lodgepole pine forests, little is known about other important species in other forest types. These insects play significant roles on the ecology of western forest ecosystems and interact with other agents, such as fire, blowdown events, and defoliation. How these insects will behave under a climate change scenario is not well understood and is likely to raise the need to re-examine biological parameters and interactions with forest conditions and stand susceptibility. Although these organisms are integral components of the ecology of western forests, insect-caused mortality often comes in conflict with land manager objectives and impact other ecosystem services. The need to better understand the ecology of these insects and how managers may need to respond, in particular on a climate change scenario, is needed.
Why This Research is Important
The main reasons that make this research relevant include; first, advancing the understanding and science about bark beetles, which as part of natural ecosystems, are major factors in regulating forest composition and structure, primary productivity, and interactions with other disturbance agents such as fire, defoliation, pathogens, and blowdown events; second, providing tools for forest managers for addressing insect-caused mortality in high-value scenarios such as campgrounds, recreation areas, and ski areas; third, the ecology of these organisnisms will be strongly influenced by climate change and undersatnding these processes will allow developing mitigation and adaptation strategies where appropriate.
- University of Puerto Rico, BS Biology, 1982
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, MS Entomology, 1985
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Ph.D. Entomology, 1988
- Research Entomologist, USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station
1993 - Current
- Entomologist, USDA Forest Service, Forest Health Protection
1988 - 1993
- Graduate student and research assistant, Louisiana State University
1983 - 1988
Featured Publications & Products
- Negron, Jose F.; Schaupp, Willis C., Jr..; Pederson, Lee. 2011. Flight periodicity of the Douglas-fir beetle, Dendroctonus pseudotsugae Hopkins (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae) in Colorado, U.S.A.
- Klutsch, Jennifer G.; Battaglia, Mike A.; West, Daniel R.; Costello, Sheryl L.; Negron, Jose F. 2011. Evaluating potential fire behavior in lodgepole pine-dominated forests after a mountain pine beetle epidemic in north-central Colorado.
- Lee, Jana C.; Hamud, Shakeeb M.; Negron, Jose F.; Witcosky, Jeffrey J.; Seybold, Steven J. 2010. Semiochemical-mediated flight strategies of two invasive elm bark beetles: A potential factor in competitive displacement.
- Egan, Joel M.; Jacobi, William R.; Negron, Jose F.; Smith, Sheri L.; Cluck, Daniel R. 2010. Forest thinning and subsequent bark beetle-caused mortality in Northeastern California.
- Luo, X.; Gleisner, R.; Tian, S.; Negron, J.; Zhu, W.; Horn, E.; Pan, X. J.; Zhu, J. Y. 2010. Evaluation of mountain beetle-infested lodgepole pine for cellulosic ethanol production by sulfite pretreatment to overcome recalcitrance of lignocellulose.
Publications & Products
- Negron, Jose F.; Fettig, Christopher J. 2014. Mountain pine beetle, a major disturbance agent in US western coniferous forests: A synthesis of the state of knowledge.
- Hoeger, Ingrid; Gleisner, Rolland; Negron, Jose; Rojas, Orlando J.; Zhu, J. Y. 2014. Mountain pine beetle-killed lodgepole pine for the production of submicron lignocellulose fibrils.
- Mercado, Javier E.; Hofstetter, Richard W.; Reboletti, Danielle M.; Negron, Jose F. 2014. Phoretic symbionts of the mountain pine beetle (Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins).
- Gillette, Nancy E.; Wood, David L.; Hines, Sarah J.; Runyon, Justin B.; Negron, Jose F. 2014. The once and future forest: Consequences of mountain pine beetle treatment decisions.
- Zhou, Haifeng; Zhu, J.Y.; Luo, Xiaolin; Leu, Shao-Yuan; Wu, Xiaolei; Gleisner, Roland; Dien, Bruce S.; Hector, Ronald E.; Yang, Dongjie; Qiu, Xueqing; Horn, Eric; Negron, Jose. 2013. Bioconversion of Beetle-Killed Lodgepole Pine Using SPORL: Process Scale-up Design, Lignin Coproduct, and High Solids Fermentation without detoxification.
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Elder, Kelly; Negron, Jose. 2013. Changes in transpiration and foliage growth in lodgepole pine trees following mountain pine beetle attack and mechanical girdling.
- Fettig, Christopher J.; Gibson, Kenneth E.; Munson, A. Steven; Negrón, Jose F. 2013. Cultural practices for prevention and control of mountain pine beetle infestations.
- Jacobi, W. R.; Koski, R. D.; Negron, J. F. 2013. Dutch elm disease pathogen transmission by the banded elm bark beetle Scolytus schevyrewi.
- Moore, David J. P.; Trahan, Nicole A.; Wilkes, Phil; Quaife, Tristan; Stephens, Britton B.; Elder, Kelly; Desai, Ankur R.; Negron, Jose; Monson, Russell K. 2013. Persistent reduced ecosystem respiration after insect disturbance in high elevation forests.
- Withrow, John R.; Lundquist, John E.; Negron, Jose F. 2013. Spatial dispersal of Douglas-fir beetle populations in Colorado and Wyoming.
- Schoennagel, Tania; Veblen, Thomas T.; Negron, Jose F.; Smith, Jeremy M. 2012. Effects of mountain pine beetle on fuels and expected fire behavior in lodgepole pine forests, Colorado, USA.
- Negron, Jose. 2012. Historic forests and endemic mountain pine beetle and dwarf mistletoe.
- Hudak, Andrew T.; Bright, Ben; Negron, Jose; McGaughey, Robert; Andersen, Hans-Erik; Hicke, Jeffrey A. 2012. Predicting live and dead basal area in bark beetle-affected forests from discrete-return LiDAR.
- Jolly, W. Matt; Parsons, Russell A.; Hadlow, Ann M.; Cohn, Greg M.; McAllister, Sara S.; Popp, John B.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Negron, Jose F. 2012. Relationships between moisture, chemistry, and ignition of Pinus contorta needles during the early stages of mountain pine beetle attack.
- Lee, Jana C.; Negron, Jose F.; McElwey, Sally J.; Williams, Livy; Witcosky, Jeffrey J.; Popp, John B.; Seybold, Steven J. 2011. Biology of the invasive banded elm bark beetle (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in the western United States.
- Zhu, Junyong; Luo, Xiaolin; Tian, Shen; Gleisner, Roland; Negron, Jose; Horn, Eric. 2011. Efficient ethanol production from beetle-killed lodgepole pine using SPORL technology and Saccharomyces cerevisiae without detoxification.
- Negron, Jose F. 2011. III. Insects.
- Costello, Sheryl L.; Negron, Jose F.; Jacobi, William R. 2011. Wood-boring insect abundance in fire-injured ponderosa pine.
- Hansen, E. Matthew; Negron, Jose F.; Munson, A. Steven; Anhold, John A. 2010. A retrospective assessment of partial cutting to reduce spruce beetle-caused mortality in the southern Rocky Mountains.
- Bentz, Barbara J.; Regniere, Jacques; Fettig, Christopher J.; Hansen, E. Matthew; Hayes, Jane L.; Hicke, Jeffrey A.; Kelsey, Rick G.; Negron, Jose F.; Seybold, Steven J. 2010. Climate change and bark beetles of the western United States and Canada: Direct and indirect effects.
- Fowler, James F.; Sieg, Carolyn Hull; McMillin, Joel; Allen, Kurt K.; Negron, Jose F.; Wadleigh, Linda L.; Anhold, John A.; Gibson, Ken E. 2010. Development of post-fire crown damage mortality thresholds in ponderosa pine.
- Bentz, Barbara; Logan, Jesse; MacMahon, Jim; Allen, Craig D.; Ayres, Matt; Berg, Ed; Carroll, Allan; Hansen, Matt; Hicke, Jeff; Joyce, Linda; Macfarlane, Wallace; Munson, Steve; Negron, Jose; Paine, Tim; Powell, Jim; Raffa, Ken; Regniere, Jacques; Reid, Mary; Romme, Bill; Seybold, Steven J.; Six, Diana; Tomback, Diana; Vandygriff, Jim; Veblen, Tom; White, Mike; Witcosky, Jeff; Wood, David. 2009. Bark beetle outbreaks in western North America: Causes and consequences.
- Negron, Jose F.; McMillin, Joel D.; Anhold, John A.; Coulson, Dave. 2009. Bark beetle-caused mortality in a drought-affected ponderosa pine landscape in Arizona, USA.
- Lee, Janna C.; Aguayo, Ingrid; Aslin, Ray; Durham, Gail; Hamud, Shakeeb M.; Moltzan, Beruce D.; Munson, A. Steve; Negron, Jose F.; Peterson, Travis; Ragenovich, Iral R.; Witcosky, Jeffrey J.; Seybold, Steven J. 2009. Co-occurrence of the invasive banded and European elm bark beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in North America.
- Gibson, Ken; Negron, Jose F. 2009. Fire and bark beetle interactions.
- Zolubas, Paulius; Negron, Jose; Munson, A. Steven. 2009. Modelling spruce bark beetle infestation probability.
- Klutsch, Jennifer G.; Negron, Jose F.; Costello, Sheryl L.; Rhoades, Charles C.; West, Daniel R.; Popp, John; Caissie, Rick. 2009. Stand characteristics and downed woody debris accumulations associated with a mountain pine beetle (Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins) outbreak in Colorado.
- Negron, Jose F.; Popp, John B. 2009. The flight periodicity, attack patterns, and life history of Dryocoetes confusus Swaine (Coleoptera: Curculionida: Scolytinae), the western basalm bark beetle, in north central Colorado.
- Negron, Jose F.; Wilson, Jill L. 2008. Attributes associated with probability of infestation by the pinon Ips, Ips confusus, (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in pinon pine, Pinus edulis.
- Klutsch, Jennifer G.; Beam, Russell D.; Jacobi, William R.; Negron, Jose F. 2008. Fuel and stand characteristics in p. pine infested with mountain pine beetle, Ips beetle, and southwestern dwarf mistletoe in Colorado's Northern Front Range.
- Allen-Reid, D.; Anhold, J.; Cluck, D.; Eager, T.; Mask, R.; McMillin, J.; Munson, S.; Negron, J.; Rogers, T.; Ryerson, D.; Smith, E.; Smith, S.; Steed, B.; Thier, R. 2008. Pinon pine mortality event in the Southwest: An update for 2005.
- McMillin, Joel; Anhold, John; Negron, Jose. 2008. Stand level impacts of Ips and Dendroctonus bark beetles in pine forest types of northern Arizona.
- Negron, Jose F.; Allen, Kurt; Cook, Blaine; Withrow, John R., Jr. 2008. Susceptibility of ponderosa pine, Pinus ponderosa (Dougl. Ex Laws.), to mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins, attack in uneven-aged stands in the Black Hills of South Dakota and Wyoming USA.
- Kaufmann, Merrill R.; Aplet, Gregory H.; Babler, Michael G.; Baker, William L.; Bentz, Barbara; Harrington, Michael; Hawkes, Brad C.; Huckaby, Laurie Stroh; Jenkins, Michael J.; Kashian, Daniel M.; Keane, Robert E.; Kulakowski, Dominik; McCaughey, Ward; McHugh, Charles; Negron, Jose; Popp, John; Romme, William H.; Shepperd, Wayne; Smith, Frederick W.; Sutherland, Elaine Kennedy; Tinker, Daniel; Veblen, Thomas T. 2008. The status of our scientific understanding of lodgepole pine and mountain pine beetles - a focus on forest ecology and fire behavior.
- Costello, Sheryl L.; Negron, Jose F.; Jacobi, William R. 2008. Traps and attractants for wood-boring insects in ponderosa pine stands in the Black Hills, South Dakota.
- Negron, Jose F.; Bentz, Barbara J.; Fettig, Christopher J.; Gillette, Nancy; Hansen, E. Matthew; Hayes, Jane L.; Kelsey, Rick G.; Lundquist, John E.; Lynch, Ann M.; Progar, Robert A.; Seybold, Steven J. 2008. US Forest Service bark beetle research in the western United States: Looking toward the future.
- Fettig, Christopher J.; Klepzig, Kier D.; Billings, Ronald f.; Munson, A. Steven; Nebeker, T. Evan; Negron, Jose F.; Nowak, John T. 2007. The effectiveness of vegetation management practices for prevention and control of bark beetle infestations in coniferous forests of the western and southern United States.
- Sieg, Carolyn Hull; McMillin, Joel D.; Fowler, James F.; Allen, Kurt K.; Negron, Jose F.; Wadleigh, Linda L.; Anhold, John A.; Gibson, Ken E. 2006. Best predictors for postfire mortality of ponderosa pine trees in the Intermountain West.
- Hilszczanski, Jacek; Janiszewski, Wojciech; Negron, Jose; Munson, A. Steve. 2006. Stand characteristics and Ips typographus (L.) (Col., Curculionidae, Scolytinae) infestation during outbreak in northeastern Poland.
- Negron, Jose F.; Allen, Kurt; McMillin. Joel, ; Burkwhat, Henry. 2006. Testing Verbenone for reducing mountain pine beetle attacks in ponderosa pine in the Black Hills, South Dakota.
- Negron, Jose F.; Witcosky, Jeffrey J.; Cain, Robert J.; LaBonte, James R.; Duerr, Donald A., II.; McElwey, Sally J.; Lee, Jana C.; Seybold, Steven J. 2005. The banded elm bark beetle: A new threat to elms in North America.
- Negron, Jose E.; Wilson, Jill L. 2003. Attributes associated with probability of infestation by the pinon ips, Ips confusus, (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in pinon pine, Pinus edulis.
- Negron, Jose F.; Shepperd, Wayne A.; Mata, Steve A.; Popp, John B.; Asherin, Lance A.; Schoettle, Anna W.; Schmid, John M.; Leatherman, David A. 2001. Solar treatments for reducing survival of mountain pine beetle in infested ponderosa and lodgepole pine logs.
- Negron, Jose F.; Anhold, John A.; Munson, A. Steve. 2001. Within-stand spatial distribution of tree mortality caused by the Douglas-Fir beetle (Coleoptera: Scolytidae).
- Negron, Jose F.; Schaupp, Willis C.; Johnson, Erik. 2000. Development and validation of a fixed-precision sequential sampling plan for estimating brood adult density of Dendroctonus pseudotsugae (Coleoptera: Scolytidae).
- Negron, Jose F.; Wilson, Jill L.; Anhold, John A. 2000. Stand conditions associated with roundheaded pine beetle (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) infestations in Arizona and Utah.
- Negron, Jose. 1997. Estimating probabilities of infestation and extent of damage by the roundheaded pine beetle in ponderosa pine in the Sacramento Mountains, New Mexico.
- Geils, Brian W.; Lundquist, John E.; Negron, Jose F.; Beatty, Jerome S. 1995. Disturbance regimes and their relationships to forest health..