Johnny M. Grace
520 Devall Drive
Auburn University, AL 36849-5418
Contact Johnny M. Grace
Evaluating and understanding effect of harvesting, thinning, site preparation and road activities on forest soil and water quality within the forest ecosystem. Investigating natural and artificial mitigation processes. Modeling water quality and hydrology changes that result from forest operations (specifically forest roads). Investigating the influence of BMPs on the control of sediment export from the forest road system and the environmental impacts associated with forest road management in the southern United States. Evaluating the effect of various forest road treatment techniques on sediment movement, quantifying sediment transport distances downslope from road drainage structures, and understanding the mechanisms driving sediment transport in Southern Appalachian watersheds.
- North Carolina State University, Ph.D. Biological and Agricultural Engineering, 2004
- Auburn University, M.S. Agricultural Engineering, 1996
- Auburn University, B.S. Agricultural Engineering, 1994
Featured Publications & Products
- Dougherty, M.; Baharanyi, A.; Guertal, B.; Grace, J. . 2010. Techniques for establishing vegetation for long-term erosion control on disturbed slopes in Alabama.
- Grace, J.M. III; Davis, E. 2010. Efficacy of buffer zones in disconnecting roads and streams in the coastal plain.
- Grace, Johnny M.; Clinton, Barton D. 2009.
Protecting soil and water in forest road management..
- Grace, Johnny M. III. 2008. Influence of storm characteristics on soil erosion and storm runoff.
- Woodrow, R. J.; Shelton, T. G.; Oshiro, R. J.; Grace, J. K.; Wagner, T. L. 2008. Effects of Disturbance-induced trauma on foraging by subterranean termites (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae).
Publications & Products
- Grace, J. McFero; Skaggs, R.W. 2013. Determination of field-effective soil properties in the tidewater region of North Carolina.
- Grace, Johnny M.; Zarnoch, Stanley J. 2013. Influence of forest road buffer zones on sediment transport in the Southern Appalachian Region.
- Bryant-Mason, April; Xu, Y. Jun; Grace, Johnny M. 2013. Stream carbon dynamics in low-gradient headwaters of a forested watershed.
- Carter, E.A.; Grace, John M. III. 2011. Assessing soil impacts related to forest harvest operations.
- Grace, J. McFero; Elliot, William J. 2011. Influence of forest roads and BMPs on soil erosion.
- Nettles, J.; Youssef, M.; Cacho, J.; Grace, J.; Leggett, Z.; Sucre, E. 2011. The water quality and quantity effects of biofuel operations in pine plantations of the southeastern US.
- Grace, Johnny M. III. 2008. Determining the range of acceptable forest road erosion.
- Mason, April; Xu, Y. Jun; Grace, Johnny M. 2007. Comparison of stream nutrient conditions in a subtropical lowland watershed to EPA suggested criteria.
- Grace, Johnny M. III; Clinton, Barton D. 2007. Protecting soil and water in forest road management.
- Mason, April; Xu, Y. Jun; Saksa, Philip; Viosca, Adrienne; Grace, Johnny M.; Beebe, John; Stich, Richard. 2007. Streamflow and nutrient dependence of temperature effects on dissolved oxygen in low-order forest streams.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2006. A new design to evaluate erosion and sediment control.
- Grace, Johnny M.; Skaggs, R. W.; Chescheir, G. M. 2006. Hydrologic and water quality effects of thinning Loblolly Pine.
- Grace, Johnny M.; Skaggs, R. W.; Cassel, D. Keith. 2006. Influence of thinning Loblolly Pine (Pinus taeda L.) on hydraulic properties of an organic soil.
- Grace, Johnny M.; Skaggs, R.W.; Cassel, D.K. 2006. Soil physical changes associated with forest harvesting operations on a organic soil.
- Grace, Johnny M.; Skaggs, R. W. 2006. Water balance of drained plantation watersheds in North Carolina.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2005. Application of WEPP to a Southern Appalachian Forest road.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2005. Factors influencing sediment plume development from forest roads.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2005. Forest operations and water quality in the south.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2004. NPS pollution related to forest management activities in southern states.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2004. Sediment plume development from forest roads: How are they related to filter strip recommendations.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2004. Soil erosion following forest operations in the Southern Piedmont of central Alabama.
- Grace, Johnny M.; Skaggs, R.W.; Malcom, H.R.; Chescheir, G.M.; Cassel, D.K. 2003. Increased water yields following harvesting operations on a drained coastal watershed.
- Grace, Johnny M.; Skaggs, R.W.; Malcom, H.R.; Chescheir, G.M.; Cassel, D.K. 2003. Influence of thinning operations on the hydrology of a drained coastal plantation watershed.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2003. Minimizing the Impacts of the Forest Road System.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2002. Control of Sediment Export From The Forest Road Prism.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2002. Effectiveness of Vegetation in Erosion Control From Forest Road Sideslopes.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2002. Overview of best management practices related to forest roads: The southern states.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2002. Sediment Transport Investigations on the National Forests of Alabama.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2002. Sediment movement from forest road systems-roads: a major contributor to erosion and stream sedimentation.
- Grace, Johnny M. III; Carter, Emily A. 2001. Sediment and Runoff Losses following Harvesting/Site Prep Operations on a Piedmont Soil in Alabama.
- Grace, Johnny M. 2000. Forest road sideslopes and soil conservation techniques.
- Grace, Johnny M.; Carter, Emily A. 2000. Impact of Harvesting on Sediment and Runoff Production on a Piedmont Site in Alabama.
- Grace, Johnny M. 1999. Erosion Control Techniques on Forest Road Cutslopes and Fillslopes in North Alabama.
- Grace, Johnny M.; Wilhoit, John; Rummer, Robert; Stokes, Bryce. 1999. Surface Erosion Control Techniques on Newly Constructed Forest Roads.
- Grace, Johnny M.; Rummer, Bob; Stokes, Bryce J.; Wilhoit, J. 1998. Evaluation of erosion control techniques on forest roads.
- Grace, Johnny M. 1998. Sediment Export from Forest Road Turn-outs: A Study Design and Preliminary Results.
- Grace, Johnny M.; Rummer, Robert; Stokes, Bryce J. 1997. Sediment production and runoff from forest road sideslopes.