James S. Menlove
507 25th Street
Ogden, UT 84401
Contact James S. Menlove
Exploring compilation and use of less traditional FIA data, like understory vegetation, down woody, and other Phase 3-related data. Assisting users with data queries, data access, and independent analysis. Fulfilling FIA analysis mandate by completing required reports in a timely manner.
Working with FIA data users to expand the traditional scope of FIA data. Some examples: Using understory vegetation and down woody to assess fire regimes; and using FIA data to assess old growth/late successional forest characteristics.
It is important to make sure that FIA data are available and understandable to the public. The data are useful in a wide variety of applications, but only if users have access, as well as help in compiling and interpreting results.
Why This Research is Important
Reports and compilations of data for forest management agencies and owners like the BLM, the BIA and tribal foresters, and widerness managers.
- University of Utah, BS Biology - Ecology and Evolution, 1992
- University of Wyoming, MS Zoology & Physiology (Ecology), 1996
Featured Publications & Products
- DeBlander, Larry T.; Shaw, John D.; Witt, Chris; Menlove, Jim; Thompson, Michael T.; Morgan, Todd A.; DeRose, R. Justin; Amacher, Michael C. 2010. Utah's forest resources, 2000-2005.
- Bottomley, Tim; Menlove, Jim. 2009. Summary and findings of the 2006 BLM Forest Lands Report.
- Frescino, Tracey S.; Moisen, Gretchen G.; Megown, Kevin A.; Nelson, Val J.; Freeman, Elizabeth A.; Patterson, Paul L.; Finco, Mark; Brewer, Ken; Menlove, James. 2009. Nevada Photo-Based Inventory Pilot (NPIP) photo sampling procedures.
Publications & Products
- Solem, Stephen J.; Pendleton, Burton K.; Giffen, Casey; Coles-Ritchie, Marc; Ledbetter, Jeri; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Berg, Joy; Menlove, Jim; Woodlief, Carly K.; Boehnke, Luke A. 2013. Final Program Report for 2010-2012: Monitoring and evaluation for conserving biological resources of the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area.
- McIver, Chelsea P.; Sorenson, Colin B.; Keegan, Charles E.; Morgan, Todd A.; Menlove, Jim. 2013. Montana's forest products industry and timber harvest, 2009.
- Witt, Chris; Shaw, John D.; Thompson, Michael T.; Goeking, Sara A.; Menlove, Jim; Amacher, Michael C.; Morgan, Todd A.; Werstak, Charles, Jr. 2012. Idaho's Forest Resources, 2004-2009.
- Menlove, Jim; Shaw, John D.; Thompson, Michael T.; Witt, Chris; Amacher, Michael C.; Morgan, Todd A.; Sorenson, Colin; McIver, Chelsea; Werstak, Charles, Jr. 2012. Montana's forest resources, 2003-2009.
- Solem, Stephen J.; Pendleton, Burton K.; Coles-Ritchie, Marc; Ledbetter, Jeri; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Berg, Joy; Nelson, Kellen; Menlove, James. 2011. 2010 Annual Report: Monitoring and evaluation for conserving biological resources of the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area.
- Azuma, David; Menlove, James; Gray, Andrew. 2009. Reserved and roadless forests.