James A Mckean
322 East Front Street, Suite 401
Boise, ID 83702
Contact James A Mckean
Fire and fuels management induced changes in vegetation canopy: effects of fine sediment on gravel bed streams, Effects of climate induced changes in winter flows on bed mobility and Chinook spawning success: investigations with a new bathymetric lidar, Controls on the size, location, and frequency of debris flow landslides by spatial patterns of forest root strength, Effects of topographic boundary condition errors on multi-dimensional computational fluid dynamics models: predictions of physical/biological process interactions in channels, Bathymetric lidar research should revolutionize the way the Forest Service and other agencies manage streams. We will move from local samples of channel habitat toward full inventory of physical conditions in channel networks. This will support new analyses/management of aquatic habitat and species at unprecedented spatial scales. Debris flow research will allow spatially explicit modeling of changes in the hazard of shallow landsliding caused by variations in root strength from sources such as climate change, logging, root disease, or forest insect infestations.
Featured Publications & Products
- Elliot, William; Hyde, Kevin; MacDonald, Lee; McKean, James. 2010. Tools for analysis.
- Mountjoy, Joshu J.; McKean, Jim; Barnes, Philip M.; Pettinga, Jarg R. 2009. Terrestrial-style slow-moving earthflow kinematics in a submarine landslide complex.
- McKean, Jim; Nagel, Dave; Tonina, Daniele; Bailey, Philip; Wright, Charles Wayne; Bohn, Carolyn; Nayegandhi, Amar. 2009. Remote sensing of channels and riparian zones with a narrow-beam aquatic-terrestrial LIDAR.
- Mackey, B. H.; Roering, J. J.; McKean, J. A. 2009. Long-term kinematics and sediment flux of an active earthflow, Eel River, California.
- McKean, Jim; Isaak, Dan; Wright, Wayne. 2009. Improving stream studies with a small-footprint green lidar.
Publications & Products
- Tonina, D.; McKean, J. A.; Tang, C.; Goodwin, P. 2011. New tools for aquatic habitat modeling.
- Bellugi, Dino; Dietrich, William E.; Stock, Jonathan; McKean, Jim; Kazian, Brian; Hargrove, Paul. 2011. Spatially explicit shallow landslide susceptibility mapping over large areas.
- Tonina, Daniele; McKean, James A. 2010. Climate change impact on salmonid spawning in low-gradient streams in central Idaho, USA.
- McKean, Jim; Isaak, Dan; Wright, Wayne. 2009. Chapter 2: Stream and riparian habitat analysis and monitoring with a high-resolution terrestrial-aquatic LiDAR.
- McKean, Jim A.; Isaak, Dan J.; Wright, Charles W. 2008. Geomorphic controls on salmon nesting patterns described by a new, narrow-beam terrestrial-aquatic lidar.