James (Jim) A. McKean
322 East Front Street, Suite 401
Contact James (Jim) A. McKean
- River Bathymetry Toolkit (RBT) - Science Briefing
- The River Bathymetry Toolkit (RBT) Website
- Remote Sensing of Stream Channels - Science Briefing
- Understanding and Adapting To Climate Change in Aquatic Ecosystems at Landscape and River Basin Scales: A decision support workshop for integrating research and management
- The Fate and Ecological Consequences of Fine-Grained Sediment in Gravel-Bed Streams
- Winter Season Channel Bed Mobility and Redd Site Stability in Unconfined, Low-Gradient Streams
- Changing Stream Physical Habitat in Response to Decreased Irrigation Diversions
- Off-Channel Aquatic Habitat in Variable Low Flow Conditions
- Multi-Dimensional Analyses of Shallow Landslide Hazards
- Controls on Spatial Patterns of Hyporheic Flow in a Steep Confined Mountain River
- Stress Distributions and Movement Response in Large Bedrock Landslides
- Description of Aquatic Physical Habitat in Channels Using a Narrow-Beam Bathymetric Lidar
- Automated Mapping of Hydraulic Geometry and Aquatic Physical Habitat of Streams in a GIS Environment
- Modeling effects of spatially varying root strength on the location, frequency and size of shallow landslides
- Mechanistic controls on shallow landslide size and shape revealed by 3D stability analysis
- Mechanistic analyses of the effects of climate change on aquatic physical habitat
- Understanding the responses of hill slopes to channel base level changes
- Quantitative descriptions and analyses of controls on spatial distribution of channel physical habitat
- Development and testing of a new terrestrial-aquatic LIDAR to map and monitor stream habitat
- Response of hillslopes to channel baselevel changes
- Effects of climate induced changes in winter flows on bed mobility and Chinook spawning success
- Investigations with a new bathymetric LIDAR
- Controls on the size, location, and frequency of debris flow landslides by spatial patterns of forest root strength
- Effects of topographic boundary condition errors on multi-dimensional computational fluid dynamics models
- Predictions of physical/biological process interactions in channels
Bellugi, D., D. G. Milledge, W. E. Dietrich, J. A. McKean, J. T. Perron, E. B. Sudderth, and B. Kazian. 2015. A spectral clustering search algorithm for predicting shallow landslide size and location. J. Geophys. Res. Earth Surf. 120, doi:10.1002/2014JF003137.
Benjankar, R., Tonina, D., McKean, J., 2014. One-dimensional and two-dimensional hydrodynamic modelling derived flow properties: impacts on aquatic habitat quality predictions. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, doi: 10.1002/esp.3637
Marzadri, A., Tonina, D., McKean, J., Tiedemann, M.G., Benjankar, R.M., 2014. Multi-scale streambed topographic and discharge effects on hyporheic at the stream network scale in confined streams. Journal of Hydrology, 519 Part B, pp. 1997-2011.
McKean, J., Tonina, D., Bohn, C., Wright, C.W., 2014. Effects of bathymetric lidar errors on a multi-dimensional hydraulic model of flow and bed shear stress in a small clear-water stream. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface, 119 (3), 644-664, doi:10.1002/2013JF002897.
Milledge, David G.; Bellugi, Dino; McKean, Jim A.; Densmore, Alexander L.; Dietrich, William E. 2014. A multidimensional stability model for predicting shallow landslide size and shape across landscapes. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface. 119. doi:10.1002/2014JF003135.
Why This Research is Important
Airborne bathymetric LIDARs could revolutionize the way the Forest Service and other agencies manage streams. The technology may allow us to move from local samples of channel habitat toward full inventory of physical conditions in channel networks. This will support new analyses/management of aquatic habitat and species at unprecedented spatial scales.
Debris flow research will allow spatially explicit modeling of changes in the hazard of shallow landsliding caused by variations in root strength from sources such as climate change, logging, root disease, or forest insect infestations. The 3D slope stability model also allows a prediction of landslide size.
The interactions of hillslopes and their bounding channels strongly control the hazard of large landslides and the rate and style of sediment introduced to streams by the landslides. This research should improve our understanding of slide behavior and environmental consequences.
- University of California Berkeley, Ph.D. Geology 1993
- University of California Berkeley, M.S. Geotechnical Engineering 1981
- Colorado State University, M.S. Geology 1977
- Colorado State University, B.S. Geology 1973
- Project Geomorphologist, US Forest Service, Rocky Mtn. Res. Station, Air Water and Aquatic Environments Program
2003 - Current
- American Geophysical Union, Member (1985 - Current)
- Geological Society of America, Member (1985 - Current)
Featured Publications & Products
- McKean, Jim; Nagel, Dave; Tonina, Daniele; Bailey, Philip; Wright, Charles Wayne; Bohn, Carolyn; Nayegandhi, Amar. 2009. Remote Sensing Of Channels And Riparian Zones With A Narrow-Beam Aquatic-Terrestrial Lidar.
- Bellugi, Dino; Dietrich, William E.; Stock, Jonathan; McKean, Jim; Kazian, Brian; Hargrove, Paul. 2011. Spatially Explicit Shallow Landslide Susceptibility Mapping Over Large Areas.
- Tonina, Daniele; McKean, James A. 2010. Climate Change Impact On Salmonid Spawning In Low-Gradient Streams In Central Idaho, Usa.
- McKean, Jim A.; Isaak, Dan J.; Wright, Charles W. 2008. Geomorphic Controls On Salmon Nesting Patterns Described By A New, Narrow-Beam Terrestrial-Aquatic Lidar.
- Maturana, Oscar; Tonina, Daniele; McKean, James A.; Buffington, John M.; Luce, Charles H.; Caamano, Diego. 2013. Modeling The Effects Of Pulsed Versus Chronic Sand Inputs On Salmonid Spawning Habitat In A Low-Gradient Gravel-Bed River.
- Bellugi, Dino; Milledge, David G.; Dietrich, William E.; McKean, Jim A.; Perron, J. Taylor; Sudderth, Erik B.; Kazian, Brian. 2015. A Spectral Clustering Search Algorithm For Predicting Shallow Landslide Size And Location.
- Carnie, Ryan; Tonina, Daniele; McKean, Jim; Isaak, Daniel. 2015. Habitat Connectivity As A Metric For Aquatic Microhabitat Quality: Application To Chinook Salmon Spawning Habitat.
- Milledge, David G.; Bellugi, Dino; McKean, Jim A.; Densmore, Alexander L.; Dietrich, William E. 2014. A Multidimensional Stability Model For Predicting Shallow Landslide Size And Shape Across Landscapes.
- McKean, J.; Tonina, D.; Bohn, C.; Wright, C. W. 2014. Effects Of Bathymetric Lidar Errors On Flow Properties Predicted With A Multi-Dimensional Hydraulic Model.
- Marzadri, Alessandra; Tonina, Daniele; McKean, James A.; Tiedemann, Matthew G.; Benjankar, Rohan M. 2014. Multi-Scale Streambed Topographic And Discharge Effects On Hyporheic At The Stream Network Scale In Confined Streams.
- Benjankar, Rohan; Tonina, Daniele; McKean, James. 2014. One-Dimensional And Two-Dimensional Hydrodynamic Modelling Derived Flow Properties: Impacts On Aquatic Habitat Quality Predictions.
- McKean, Jim; Tonina, Daniele. 2013. Bed Stability In Unconfined Gravel Bed Mountain Streams: With Implications For Salmon Spawning Viability In Future Climates.
- Marzadri, Alessandra; Tonina, Daniele; McKean, James A.; Tiedemann, Matt. 2012. Hyporheic Exchange Along A River Below A Dam.
- Tonina, D.; McKean, J. A.; Tang, C.; Goodwin, P. 2011. New Tools For Aquatic Habitat Modeling.
- Elliot, William; Hyde, Kevin; MacDonald, Lee; McKean, James. 2010. Tools For Analysis.
- McKean, Jim; Isaak, Dan; Wright, Wayne. 2009. Chapter 2: Stream And Riparian Habitat Analysis And Monitoring With A High-Resolution Terrestrial-Aquatic Lidar.
- McKean, Jim; Isaak, Dan; Wright, Wayne. 2009. Improving Stream Studies With A Small-Footprint Green Lidar.
- Mackey, B. H.; Roering, J. J.; McKean, J. A. 2009. Long-Term Kinematics And Sediment Flux Of An Active Earthflow, Eel River, California.
- Mountjoy, Joshu J.; McKean, Jim; Barnes, Philip M.; Pettinga, Jarg R. 2009. Terrestrial-Style Slow-Moving Earthflow Kinematics In A Submarine Landslide Complex.