Research Wildlife Biologist
2500 South Pine Knoll Drive
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
- Fire effects on bird and small mammal communities
- Wildlife genomics of greater sage-grouse
- Assessing large-scale effects of wildfire and climate change on avian communities and habitats in the Sky Islands, Arizona
- Optimal study design of multi-species avian monitoring programs
- Lifetime reproductive success of northern goshawks
- Developing Bayesian statistical models for demographic parameter estimation with genetic studies
- Using citizen science within the Chiricahua Mountains to evaluate disturbance effects on the avian community
- Population and community dynamics
- Bayesian statistics and hierarchical models
- Mark-recapture models with ecological applications
- Cost-effective sampling designs
- Modeling genotyping error with genetic mark-recapture studies
- Wildlife genomics and bioinformatics
- Developed a Bayesian statistical model to call SNP genotypes using Next Generation Sequencing technology for inference on New Zealand sheep SNP discovery
- Developed a Bayesian state-space model to estimate population abundance, survival, and recruitment from molecular parentage data
- Ph.D. Dissertation in Wildlife Ecology and Management: Integrated demographic modeling and estimation of the central Georgia, USA, black bear population
- M.S. Statistics Thesis: Misidentification error in non-invasive genetic mark-recapture sampling: case study with the central Georgia black bear population
- Honors Thesis: Modeling patterns of dispersal in banner-tailed kangaroo rats, Dipodomys spectabilis, using capture-recapture data with the multi-strata, robust design
- Sanderlin, J.S., W.M. Block, J.L. Ganey, and J.M. Iniguez. 2013. A preliminary assessment of species richness and avian community dynamics in the Madrean Sky Islands, Arizona. Pp 180-190 in Merging science and management in a rapidly changing world: Biodiversity and management of the Madrean Archipelago III and 7th conference on Research and Resource Management in the Southwestern Deserts. 2012 May 1-5; Tucson, AZ. Proceedings. RMRS-P-67. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station.
- Sanderlin, J.S., N. Lazar, M.J. Conroy, and J. Reeves. 2012. Cost-efficient selection of a marker panel in genetic studies. Journal of Wildlife Management 76:88-94. (Optimal-Marker-Panel program)
- Sanderlin, J.S., P.M. Waser, J.E. Hines, and J.D. Nichols. 2012. On valuing patches: estimating contributions to metapopulation growth with reverse-time capture-recapture modeling. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 279:480-488.
- Sanderlin, J. Skvarla, B. Faircloth, B. Shamblin, and M. Conroy. 2009. Tetranucleotide microsatellite loci from the black bear (Ursus americanus). Molecular Ecology Resources 9:288-291.
- Jangid, K., M. Williams, A. Franzleubbers, J. Sanderlin, J. Reeves, M. Jenkins, D. Endale, D. Coleman, W. Whitman. 2008. Relative impacts of land-use, management intensity and fertilization upon soil microbial communities in agricultural systems. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 40:2843-2853.
- Skvarla, J., J. Nichols, J. Hines, and P. Waser. 2004. Modeling interpopulation dispersal by banner-tailed kangaroo rats. Ecology 85(10):2737-2746.
Why This Research is Important
I develop analytical applications for several collaborative projects in the realm of quantitative ecology, statistics, and bioinformatics. Innovative quantitative approaches are needed to study wildlife species, especially species of special concern for National Forest Systems, since these species often occur at low densities and within patchy distributions.
- University of Georgia, M.S. Statistics, 2009
- University of Georgia, Ph.D. Wildlife Ecology and Management, 2009
- Purdue University, B.S. Ecology, Evolutionary, and Population Biology, 2002
Publications & Products
- Stan, Amanda B.; Fule, Peter Z.; Ireland, Kathryn B.; Sanderlin, Jamie S. 2014. Modern fire regime resembles historical fire regime in a ponderosa pine forest on Native American land.
- Sanderlin, Jamie S.; Block, William M.; Ganey, Joseph L. 2014. Optimizing study design for multi-species avian monitoring programmes.
- Sanderlin, Jamie S.; Block, William M.; Ganey, Joseph L.; Iniguez, Jose M. 2013. Preliminary assessment of species richness and avian community dynamics in the Madrean Sky Islands, Arizona.
- Sanderlin, Jamie S.; Lazar, Nicole; Conroy, Michael J.; Reeves, Jaxk. 2012. Cost-efficient selection of a marker panel in genetic studies.
- Sanderlin, Jamie S.; Waser, Peter M.; Hines, James E.; Nichols, James D. 2012. On valuing patches: estimating contributions to metapopulation growth with reverse-time capture-recapture modeling.