Jane L. Hayes
Assistant Station Director, Research
800 Buchanan Street
Albany, CA 94710
Contact Jane L. Hayes
As the Assistant Director for Research at the Forest Service’s Pacific Southwest Research Station (PSW) in Albany, CA, Dr. Hayes provides scientific and technical guidance to the Institute of Pacific Islands Forestry and the four research program areas of PSW, Conservation of Biodiversity, Ecosystem Function and Health Fire and Fuels, and Urban Ecosystems and Social Dynamics.
Dr. Hayes has more than 25 years of federal service. As a research scientist, Hayes focused on understanding the role of disturbance processes and how their desirable and undesirable effects might be managed in forest ecosystems. Her studies have ranged from basic biology to complex ecological interactions at the stand- and landscape-level in forests of the interior West including Mexico. She has published over 90 technical papers and given numerous presentations to diverse audiences. She began her federal career with the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 1986 with the Agricultural Research Service and joined the Forest Service in 1990 with the Southern Research Station working as a Project Leader and Supervisory Research Entomologist. She became a Supervisory Biological Scientist at the Pacific Northwest Research Station in 1998 serving as Team Leader for the Disturbance Ecology and Management Team of the Managing Disturbance Regimes Program. She has had numerous leadership assignments, including as acting program manager for the Pacific Northwest Research Station’s Focused Science Delivery and Threat Characterization and Management Programs.
- University of Kansas , Ph.D. Entomology with an emphasis on population dynamics and ecology , 1980
- Stanford University, B.S. Biological Sciences , 1975
Publications & Products
- Smith, Steven E.; Mendoza, Ma.G.; Zuniga, Gerardo; Kalbrook, Kandres; Hayes, J.L.; Byrne, D.N. 2013. Predicting the distribution of a novel bark beetle and its pine hosts under future climate conditions.
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Hicke, Jeffrey A.; Ager, Alan A.; Hayes, Jane L. 2012. Climate and weather influences on spatial temporal patterns of mountain pine beetle populations in Washington and Oregon.
- Hicke, Jeffrey A; Johnson, Morris C.; Hayes, Jane L.; Preisler, Haiganoush K. 2012. Effects of bark beetle-caused tree mortality on wildfire.
- Bentz, Barbara J.; Regniere, Jacques; Fettig, Christopher J.; Hansen, E. Matthew; Hayes, Jane L.; Hicke, Jeffrey A.; Kelsey, Rick G.; Negron, Jose F.; Seybold, Steven J. 2010. Climate change and bark beetles of the western United States and Canada: Direct and indirect effects.
- Salinas-Moreno, Y.; Ager, A.; Vargas, C.F.; Hayes, J.L.; Zuniga, G. 2010. Determining the vulnerability of Mexican pine forests to bark beetles of the genus Dendroctonus Erichson (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae).
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Ager, Alan A.; Hayes, Jane L. 2010. Probabilistic risk models for multiple disturbances: an example of forest insects and wildfires.
- Cain, Robert J.; Hayes, Jane L. 2009. Bark beetle conditions in western forests and formation of the Western Bark Beetle Research Group.
- Ruiz, Enrico A.; Rinehart, John E.; Hayes, Jane L.; Zúňiga, Gerardo. 2009. Effect of geographic isolation on genetic differentiation in Dendroctonus pseudotsugae (Coleoptera: Curculionidae).
- Bull, Evelyn L; Hayes, Jane L. 2009. Selection of diet by metamorphic and juvenile western toads (Bufo boreas) in northeastern Oregon.
- Hayes, J.L.; Lundquist, J.E., comps. 2009. The Western Bark Beetle Research Group: a unique collaboration with Forest Health Protection-proceedings of a symposium at the 2007 Society of American Foresters conference.
- Johnson, Patricia L.; Hayes, Jane L.; Rinehart, John E.; Sheppard, Walter S. 2008. Characterization of two non-native invasive bark beetles, Scolytus schevyrewi and Scolytus multistriatus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae).
- McMahan, Andrew J.; Ager, Alan A.; Maffei, Helen; Hayes, Jane L.; Smith, Eric L. 2008. Modeling bark beetles and fuels on landscapes: A demonstration of ArcFuels and a discussion of possible model enhancements.
- Anducho-Reyes, Miguel A.; Cognato, Anthony I.; Hayes, Jane L.; Zuniga, Gerardo. 2008. Phylogeography of the bark beetle Dendroctonus mexicanus Hopkins (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae).
- Hayes, Jane L.; Johnson, Patricia L.; Eglitis, Andris; Scott, Donald W.; Spiegel, Lia; Schmitt, Craig L.; Smith, Steven E. 2008. Response of bark and woodboring beetles to host volatiles and wounding on western juniper.
- Negron, Jose F.; Bentz, Barbara J.; Fettig, Christopher J.; Gillette, Nancy; Hansen, E. Matthew; Hayes, Jane L.; Kelsey, Rick G.; Lundquist, John E.; Lynch, Ann M.; Progar, Robert A.; Seybold, Steven J. 2008. US Forest Service bark beetle research in the western United States: Looking toward the future.
- Ruíz, Enrico A.; Hayes, Jane L.; Rinehart, John E.; Zúñiga, G. 2007. Phylogeographic analysis of the Douglas-fir beetle Dendroctonus pseudotsugae Hopkins (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae).
- Zúniga, Gerardo; Cisneros, Ramón; Salinas-Moreno, Yolanda; Hayes, Jane L.; Rinehart, John E. 2006. Genetic structure of Dendroctonus mexicanus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae) in the trans-Mexican volcanic belt..
- Aitken, Marti; Hayes, Jane L. 2006. Roads in landscape modeling: a case study of a road data layer and use in the interior northwest landscape analysis system..
- Pilliod, David S.; Bull, Evelyn L.; Hayes, Jane L.; Wales, Barbara C. 2006. Wildlife and invertebrate response to fuel reduction treatments in dry coniferous forests of the Western United States: a synthesis.
- Barbour, R. James; Hemstrom, Miles ; Ager, Alan; Hayes, Jane L. 2005. Effects of spatial scale on the perception and assessment of risk of natural disturbance in forested ecosystems: examples from northeastern Oregon.
- Ager, Alan A.; Barbour, R. James; Hayes, Jane L. 2005. Simulating fuel reduction scenarios on a wildland-urban interface in northeastern Oregon..
- Barbour, R. James; Ager, Alan A.; Hayes, Jane L. 2004. Chapter 1: A Framework for the Development and Application of INLAS: the Interior Northwest Landscape Analysis System.
- Ager, Alan A.; Hayes, Jane L.; Schmitt, Craig L. 2004. Chapter 8: Simulating mortality from forest insects and diseases.
- Hayes, Jane L.; Ager, Alan. A.; Barbour, R. James, tech. eds. 2004. Methods for integrated modeling of landscape change: Interior Northwest Landscape Analysis System..
- Cronin, James T.; Hayes, Jane L.; Turchin, Peter. 2000. Evaluation of traps used to monitor southern pine beetle aerial populations and sex ratios.
- Cronin, J.T.; Turchin, P.; Hayes, J.L.; Steiner, C.A. 1999. Area-wide efficacy of a localized forest pest management practice.
- Hayes, Jane Leslie. 1999. Chapter 3. Genetic variation in Dendroctonus frontalis, within and between populations.
- Turchin, Peter; Davidson, James; Hayes, Jane Leslie. 1999. Effects of thinning on development of southern pine beetle infestations in old growth stands.
- Hayes, Jane L.; Raffa, Kenneth F., [tech. coords.]. 1999. Proceedings of a workshop on bark beetle genetics: current status of research. Workshop on Bark Beetle Genetics; 1998 July 17-18; Madison, WI..
- Rhodes, Douglas J.; Hayes, Jane Leslie; Steiner, Chris. 1998. Retention of external and internal markers by southern pine beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) during gallery.
- Carter, M. Carol Alosi; Robertson, Jacqueline L.; Haack, Robert A.; Lawrence, Robert K.; Hayes, Jane L. 1996. Genetic Relatedness of North American Populations of Tomicus piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolytidae).
- Hayes, Jane Leslie; Meeker, James R.; Foltz, John L.; Strom, Brian L. 1996. Suppression of Bark Beetles and Protection of Pines in the Urban Enviroment: A Case Study.
- Strom, B.L.; Roton, L.M.; Hayes, J.L.; Goyer, R.A. 1996. The Prospects of Employing Semiochemical and Visual Deterrents in Protecting Trees from Bark Beetles.
- Strom, B.L.; Goyer, R.A.; Hayes, J.L. 1995. Naturally Occurring Compound Can Protect Pines from the Southern Pine Beetle.
- Hayes, Jane L.; Strom, Brian L. 1994. 4-allylanisole as an inhibitor of bark beetle (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) aggregation.
- Hayes, Jane Leslie; Bell, Marion. 1994. Evaluation of early-season baculovirus treatment for suppression of Heliothis virescens and Helicouverpa zea (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) over a wide area.
- Hayes, J.L.; Ingram, L.L., Jr..; Strom, B.L.; Roton, L.M.; Boyette, M.W.; Walsh, M.T. 1994. Identification of a host compound and its practical applications: 4-allylanisole as a bark beetle repellent.
- Hayes, Jane Leslie; Strom, Brian L.; Roton, Larry M.; Ingram, Leonard L., Jr. 1994. Repellent properties of the host compound 4-allylanisole to the southern pine beetle.
- Taylor, Andrew D.; Hayes, Jane L.; Moser, John C. 1992. A phloem sandwich allowing attack and colonization by bark beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) and associates.
- Hayes, Jane L.; Robertson, Jacqueline L. 1992. An (Ecologically Biased) View of the Current Status of Bark Beetle Genetics and Future Research Needs.
- Hayes, Jane L.; Robertson, Jacqueline L., tech. coords. 1992. Proceedings of a workshop on bark beetle genetics: current status of research. May 17-18, 1992, Berkeley, California.
- Hayes, Jane Leslie. 1991. Elemental marking of arthropod pests in agricultural systems: single and multigenerational marking.
- Feir, Dorothy; Hilliard-Clark, ; Joyce, ; Larsen, Joseph R.; Moore, Lincoln; King, Edgar g.; Hayes, Jane L. 1990. Bringing human diversity int othe mainstream of entomology.
- Firko, Michael J.; Hayes, Jane Leslie. 1990. Quantitative genetic tools for insecticide resistance risk assessment: estimating the heritability of resistance.