USDA Forest Service, PNW Research Station
3200 SW Jefferson Way
Contact Jeff Kline
My current research is focused on evaluating tradeoffs in public land management, modeling fine-scaled land use, understanding private landowner and homeowner behavior concerning their wildfire risk mitigation activities, and mapping multiple forest threats to support national-level policy and management decision making.
Land use change, policy, and development, ecosystem services and public land management, open space conservation.
My past research has examined a variety of issues, including the effects of development on private forestry, private forest landowner response to financial incentives, and public perceptions and preferences for farmland preservation.
Why This Research is Important
Development of forest and other open space lands is inevitable. As these lands become more scarce, it becomes all the more important to ensure that they are managed in a manner that best provides the benefits that people desire from undeveloped landscapes, whether they be water, recreation, habitat, natural resource commodities, or other benefits. My work contributes to this goal by characterizing rates and patterns of forest and open space loss to development and examining ways in which people value and benefit from remaining forest and open space lands.
- University of Rhode Island, Environmental and Natural Resource Economics , 1996
- University of New Hampshire, Resource Administration and Management , 1988
- Pennsylvania State University, Environmental Resource Management , 1984
- Paul Smiths College, Forest Technology , 1981
Featured Publications & Products
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Thiers, Paul; Ozawa, Connie P.; Yeakley, J. Alan; Gordon, Sean N. 2014. How Well Has Land-Use Planning Worked Under Different Governance Regimes A Case Study In The Portland, Or-Vancouver, Wa Metropolitan Area, Usa.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Mazzota, Marisa J.; Spies, Thomas A.; Harmon, Mark E. 2013. Applying The Ecosystem Services Concept To Public Land Management.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Kerns, Becky K.; Day, Michelle A.; Hammer, Roger B. 2013. Mapping Multiple Forest Threats In The Northwestern United States.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Rosenberger, Randall S.; White, Eric M. 2011. A National Assessment Of Physical Activity On Us National Forests.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Mazzotta, Marisa J.; Patterson, Trista M. 2009. Toward A Rational Exuberance For Ecosystem Services Markets.
- Ager, Alan A.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Fisher, A. Paige. 2015. Coupling The Biophysical And Social Dimensions Of Wildfire Risk To Improve Wildfire Mitigation Planning.
- Spies, Thomas A.; White, Eric M.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Fisher, A. Paige; Ager, Alan; Bailey, John; Bolte, John; Koch, Jennifer; Platt, Emily; Olsen, Christine S.; Jacobs, Derric; Shindler, Bruce; Steen-Adams, Michelle M.; Hammer, Roger. 2014. Examining Fire-Prone Forest Landscapes As Coupled Human And Natural Systems.
- Fischer, A. Paige; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Ager, Alan A.; Charnley, Susan; Olsen, Keith A. 2014. Objective And Perceived Wildfire Risk And Its Influence On Private Forest Landowners Fuel Reduction Activities In Oregon S (Usa) Ponderosa Pine Ecoregion.
- Fischer, A. Paige; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Charnley, Susan; Olsen, Christine. 2013. Erratum To Identifying Policy Target Groups With Qualitative And Quantitative Methods: The Case Of Wildfire Risk On Nonindustrial Private Forest Lands Forest Policy And Economics. 25: 62 71.
- Mazza, Rhonda; Kline, Jeff; Patterson, Trista. 2012. Ecosystem Service Markets 101: Supply And Demand For Nature.
- Oliver, Marie; Kline, Jeff. 2012. Seasonal Neighbors: Residential Development Encroaches On Mule Deer Winter Range In Central Oregon.
- Smith, Nikola; Deal, Robert; Kline, Jeff; Blahna, Dale; Patterson, Trista; Spies, Thomas A.; Bennett, Karen. 2011. Ecosystem Services As A Framework For Forest Stewardship: Deschutes National Forest Overview.
- Gosnell, Hannah; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Chrostek, Garrett; Duncan, James. 2011. Is Oregon'S Land Use Planning Program Conserving Forest And Farm Land A Review Of The Evidence.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Moses, Alissa; Burcsu, Theresa. 2010. Anticipating Forest And Range Land Development In Central Oregon (Usa) For Landscape Analysis, With An Example Application Involving Mule Deer.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; White, Eric M. 2010. Land Use Planning Ballot Initiatives In The Pacific Northwest.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Moses, Alissa; Azuma, David L.; Gray, Andrew. 2009. Evaluating Satellite Imagery-Based Land Use Data For Describing Forestland Development In Western Washington.
- Rosenberger, Randall S.; Bergerson, Terry R.; Kline, Jeffrey D. 2009. Macro-Linkages Between Health And Outdoor Recreation: The Role Of Parks And Recreation Providers.
- Theobald, David M.; Spies, Thomas; Kline, Jeff; Maxwell, Bruce; Hobbs, N. T.; Dale, Virginia H. 2005. Ecological Support For Rural Land-Use Planning..
|Forest Mapping Study Helps Identify Regions with Multiple Threat Potential, Including Wildfires|
Policymakers and land managers can use the maps to identify locations where particular threats may be more concentrated relative to others and t ...
|Managing for Ecosystem Services on Public Land|
New report provides an overview of how national forests can address ecosystem services and tradeoffs associated with forest management plans and ...
|Nonindustrial Private Forestland Owners Consider Fuel Conditions and Past Wildfire Occurrence in Their Risk Mitigation Decisions|
A new landscape simulation model informs forest planning processes.