John C. Kilgo
Research Wildlife Biologist
P.O Box 700
New Ellenton, SC 29809
Contact John C. Kilgo
Coyote-deer dynamics in the Southeast. Assessing territoriality in wild hog sounders, with implications for success of whole-sounder trapping. Relationship between foraging habitat quality and population fitness of red-cockaded woodpeckers at the Savannah River Site. Chronology of wild turkey gobbling in South Carolina.
Predator-prey relationships; coyote-deer dynamics; wildlife ecology in Coastal Plain forests; effects of non-native invasive vertebrates
Effects of experimentally manipulated snag density on avian communities in loblolly pine forests. Effects of Carolina bay restoration on avian communities. Bird response to experimental canopy gaps in bottomland hardwood forests. Effects of hunter harvest on annual survival of wild turkey gobblers.
Why This Research is Important
Many wildlife species in the Southeastern Coastal Plain are federally listed, or at risk, and require restoration or conservation-based management actions. Likewise, the management of many common species is complicated by various threats of anthropogenic origin. This research is aimed at enhancing restoration, conservation, and sustainable management of the wildlife species characteristic of pre-settlement Coastal Plain ecosystems within the context of modern multiple use landscapes. This concept includes research that informs both restoration of sensitive species and sustainable use of exploited species.
- University of Georgia, Ph.D. Wildlife Ecology, 1996
- University of Florida, M.S. Wildlife Ecology, 1992
- Wofford College, B.S. Biology, 1989
- Research Wildlife Biologist, Southern Research Station, USDA Forest Service
2000 - Current
- Post-doctoral Research Ecologist, Southern Research Station, USDA Forest Service
1997 - 2000
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, University of Georgia
1996 - 1997
- North Carolina State University, Adjunct Faculty (2000 - Current)
- University Of Georgia, Adjunct Faculty (2000 - Current)
- The Wildlife Society, Member (1990 - Current)
- Wildlife Society Bulletin, Associate Editor (2001 - 2002)
Featured Publications & Products
- Kilgo, John C.; Ray, H. Scott; Ruth, Charles; Miller, Karl V. 2009. Can Coyotes Affect Deer Populations In Southeastern North America.
- Kilgo, John C.; Ray, H. Scott; Vukovich, Mark; Goode, Matthew J.; Ruth, Charles. 2012. Predation By Coyotes On White-Tailed Deer Neonates In South Carolina.
- Kilgo, John C.; Vukovich, Mark. 2012. Factors Affecting Breeding Season Survival Of Red-Headed Woodpeckers In South Carolina.
- Kilgo, John ; Vukovich, Mark. 2014. Can Snag Creation Benefit A Primary Cavity Nester: Response To An Experimental Pulse In Snag Abundance.
- Garabedian, James E.; Moorman, Christopher E.; Peterson, M. Nils; Kilgo, John C. 2014. Systematic Review Of The Influence Of Foraging Habitat On Red-Cockaded Woodpecker Reproductive Success.
- Vukovich, Mark; Kilgo, John C. 2013. Fall Movements Of Red-Headed Woodpeckers In South Carolina.
- Moskwik, Matthew; Thom, Theresa; Barnhill, Laurel M.; Watson, Craig; Koches, Jennifer; Kilgo, John; Hulslander, Bill; Degarady, Colette; Peters, Gary. 2013. Search Efforts For Ivory-Billed Woodpecker In South Carolina.
- Zarnoch, Stanley, J..; Vukovich, Mark A.; Kilgo, John C.; Blake, John I. 2013. Snag Characteristics And Dynamics Following Natural And Artificially Induced Mortality In A Managed Loblolly Pine Forest.
- Moorman, Christopher E.; Woen, Liessa T.; Kilgo, John C.; Hanula, James L.; Horn, Scott; Ulyshen, Michael D. 2012. Arthropod Abundance And Seasonal Bird Use Of Bottomland Forest Harvest Gaps.
- Greenberg, Cathryn H.; Levey, Douglas J.; Kwit, Charles; McCarty, John P.; Pearson, Scott F.; Sargent, Sarah; Kilgo, John. 2012. Long-Term Patterns Of Fruit Production In Five Forest Types Of The South Carolina Upper Coastal Plain.
- Czapka, Stephen , J..; Kilgo, John , C. 2011. Importance Of Carolina Bays To The Avifauna Of Pinelands In The Southeastern United States.
- Davis, Justin C.; Castleberry, Steven B.; Kilgo, John C. 2010. Influence Of Coarse Woody Debris On Herpetofaunal Communities In Upland Pine Stands Of The Southeastern Coastal Plain.
- Vukovich, Mark; Kilgo, John C. 2009. Effects Of Radio Transmitters On The Behavior Of Red-Headed Woodpeckers.
- Miller, Debra Lee; Schrecengost, Joshua; Merrill, Anita; Kilgo, John; Ray, H. Scott; Miller, Karl V.; Baldwin, Charles A. 2009. Hematology, Parasitology, And Serology Of Free Ranging Coyotes (Canis Latreans) From South Carolina. Journal Of Wildlife Diseases..
- Vukovich, Mark; Kilgo, John C. 2009. Notes On Breeding Sharp-Shinned Hawks And Cooper S Hawks In Barnwell County, South Carolina.
- Moseley, Kurtis R.; Owens, Audrey K.; Castleberry, Steven B.; Ford, W. Mark; Kilgo, John C.; McCay, Timothy S. 2009. Soricid Response To Coarse Woody Debris Manipulations In Coastal Plain Loblolly Pine Forests..
- Owens, Audrey K.; Moseley, Kurtis R.; McCay, Timothy S.; Castleberry, Steven B.; Kilgo, John C.; Ford, W. Mark. 2008. Amphibian And Reptile Community Response To Coarse Woody Debris Manipulations In Upland Loblolly Pine (Pinus Taeda) Forests.