320 Green Street
Athens, GA 30602-2044
Contact Joseph O'Brien
I am currently examining the physiological mechanisms behind the high mortality of ancient long leaf pines after fires are reintroduced to long unburned stands. I am also studying the impact of combining prescribed fire with slash pine plantation management practices in Florida to reduce dangerous fuel loads. I am developing a research program on the fire ecology of tropical pine forest ecosystems in southern Florida and the Bahama Archipelago. Generally, I am interested in the relationship between fire and plant ecophysiology, population dynamics and ecosystem properties.
- Florida International University, Ph.D. Biological Sciences, 2001
- Florida International University, M.S. Biological Sciences, 1997
- State University of New York at Geneseo, B.S. , 1986
Featured Publications & Products
- O’Brien, Joseph J.; Mordecai, Kathryn A.; Wolcott, Leslie. 2010. Fire managers field guide: hazardous fuels management in subtropical pine flatwoods and tropical pine rocklands.
- Sharik, Terry L.; Adair, William; Baker, Fred A.; Battaglia, Michael; Comfort, Emily J.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Delong, Craig; DeRose, R. Justin; Ducey, Mark J.; Harmon, Mark; Levy, Louise; Logan, Jesse A.; O'Brien, Joseph; Palik, Brian J.; Roberts, Scott D.; Rogers, Paul C.; Shinneman, Douglas J.; Spies, Thomas; Taylor, Sarah L.; Woodall, Christopher; Youngblood, Andrew. 2010. Emerging themes in the ecology and management of North American forests.
- O'Brien, Joseph J. 2009. The wildland fuel cell concept: an approach to characterize fine-scale variation in fuels and fire in frequently burned longleaf pine forests..
- Gardiner, E.S.; O’Brien, J.J.; Löf, M.; Stanturf, J.A.; Madsen, P. 2009. Photosynthetic characteristics of Fagus sylvatica and Quercus robur established for stand conversion from Picea abies.
- O'Brien, J.J.; Callaham, M.A. 2009. Interactions among overstory structure, seedling life history traits and fire in frequently burned neotropical pine forests.
Publications & Products
- Callaham, Mac A.; Stanturf, John A.; Hammond, William J.; Rockwood, Donald L.; Wenk, Evelyn S.; O’Brien, Joseph J. 2013. Survey to evaluate escape of Eucalyptus spp. seedlings from plantations in southeastern USA.
- Callaham, Mac A.; Scott, D. Andrew; O’Brien, Joseph J.; Stanturf, John A. 2012. Cumulative effects of fuel management on the soils of eastern U.S.
- Reilly, Matthew J.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; O’Brien, Joseph J. 2012. Fuels management in the southern Appalachian Mountains, hot continental division.
- Loudermilk, EL; O'Brien, Joseph; Mitchell, RJ; Hiers, JK; Cropper, WP; Grunwald, S; Grego, J; Fernandez, J. 2012. Linking complex forest fuel structure and fire behavior at fine scales.
- Maschinski, J.; Ross, M.; Liu, Yongqiang; O'Brien, Joseph; von Wettberg, E.; Haskins, K. 2011. Sinking ships: conservation options for endemic taxa threatened by sea level rise.
- Hanula, J.L.; Wade, D.D.; O'Brien, J.; Loeb, S.C. 2009.
Ground-dwelling arthropod association with coarse woody debris following long-term dormant season prescribed burning in the longleaf pine flatwoods of north Florida..
- Loudermilk, E. Louise; Singhania, Abhinav; Fernandez, Juan C.; Hiers, J. Kevin; O'Brien, Joseph J.; Cropper Jr., Wendell P.; Slatton, K. Clint; Mitchell, Robert J. 2007. Application of ground-based LIDAR for fine-scale forest fuel modeling.
- Hiers, J. Kevin; O'Brien, Joseph J.; Will, Rodney E.; Mitchell, Robert J. 2007. Forest floor depth mediates understory vigor in xeric Pinus palustris ecosystems.
|RxCADRE: Prescribed Fire Combustion-Atmospheric Dynamics Research Experiments|
21st Century wildfires are increasing in frequency, intensity and complexity. These trends seem likely to continue in the face of climate change ...