John G. Jones
Note: this person is no longer a Forest Service Research & Development employee.
Featured Publications & Products
- Jones, J. Greg; Chung, Woodam; Seielstad, Carl; Sullivan, Janet; Krueger, Kurt. 2010. Optimizing spatial and temporal treatments to maintain effective fire and non-fire fuels treatments at landscape scales.
- Stockmann, Keith D.; Hyde, Kevin D.; Jones, J. Greg; Loeffler, Dan R.; Silverstein, Robin P. 2010. Integrating fuel treatment into ecosystem management: A proposed project planning process.
- Loeffler, Dan; Brandt, Jason; Morgan, Todd; Jones, Greg. 2010. Forestry-based biomass economic and financial information and tools: An annotated bibliography.
- Jones, Greg; Loeffler, Dan; Calkin, David; Chung, Woodam. 2010. Forest treatment residues for thermal energy compared with disposal by onsite burning: Emissions and energy return.
- Jones, Greg; Loeffler, Dan; Butler, Edward; Chung, Woodam; Hummel, Susan. 2010. Emissions, energy return and economics from utilizing forest residues for thermal energy compared to onsite pile burning.
Publications & Products
- Gebert, Krista; Jones, Greg; Champ, Patty; Czaja, Mike; Oliver, Chuck; Cruz, Paul E.; Clement, Jessica. 2014. Beetles among us: Social and economic impacts of the MPB epidemic [Chapter 6].
- Anderson, Nathaniel; Jones, J. Greg; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; McCollum, Daniel; Baker, Stephen; Loeffler, Daniel; Chung, Woodam. 2013. A comparison of producer gas, biochar, and activated carbon from two distributed scale thermochemical conversion systems used to process forest biomass.
- Hogland, John S.; Anderson, Nathaniel M.; Jones, J .Greg. 2013. Function modeling: improved raster analysis through delayed reading and function raster datasets.
- Chung, Woodam; Jones, Greg; Krueger, Kurt; Bramel, Jody; Contreras, Marco. 2013. Optimising fuel treatments over time and space.
- Anderson, N.; Young, J.; Stockmann, K.; Skog, K.; Healey, S.; Loeffler, D.; Jones, J.G.; Morrison, J. 2013. Regional and forest-level estimates of carbon stored in harvested wood products from the United States Forest Service Northern Region, 1906-2010.
- Jones, Greg; Loeffler, Dan; Butler, Edward; Hummel, Susan; Chung, Woodam. 2013. The financial feasibility of delivering forest treatment residues to bioenergy facilities over a range of diesel fuel and delivered biomass prices.
- Anderson, Nathaniel; Chung, Woodam; Loeffler, Dan; Jones, John Greg. 2012. A productivity and cost comparison of two systems for producing biomass fuel from roadside forest treatment residues.
- Chung, Woodam; Venn, Tyron J.; Loeffler, Dan; Jones, Greg; Han, Han-Sup; Calkin, Dave E. 2012. Assessing the potential for log sort yards to improve financial viability of forest restoration treatments.
- Jones, Greg. 2011. OptFuels: Fuel treatment optimization.
- Jones, Greg; Chung, Woodam. 2011. Optimizing the location of fuel treatments over time at landscape scales.
- Coleman, Mark; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Archuleta, Jim; Badger, Phil; Chung, Woodum; Venn, Tyron; Loeffler, Dan; Jones, Greg; McElligott, Kristin. 2010. Can portable pyrolysis units make biomass utilization affordable while using bio-char to enhance soil productivity and sequester carbon?.
- Healey, Sean P.; Blackard, Jock A.; Morgan, Todd A.; Loeffler, Dan; Jones, Greg; Songster, Jon; Brandt, Jason P.; Moisen, Gretchen G.; DeBlander, Larry T. 2009. Changes in timber haul emissions in the context of shifting forest management and infrastructure.
- Loeffler, Dan; Jones, Greg; Vonessen, Nikolaus; Healey, Sean; Chung, Woodam. 2009. Estimating diesel fuel consumption and carbon dioxide emissions from forest road construction.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Coleman, Mark; Jones, Greg; Venn, Tyron; Dumroese, R. Kasten; Anderson, Nathanial; Chung, Woodam; Loeffler, Dan; Archuleta, Jim; Kimsey, Mark; Badger, Phil; Shaw, Terry; McElligott, Kristin. 2009. Portable in-woods pyrolysis: Using forest biomass to reduce forest fuels, increase soil productivity, and sequester carbon.
- Contreras, Marco A.; Chung, Woodam; Jones, Greg. 2008. Applying ant colony optimization metaheuristic to solve forest transportation planning problems with side constraints.
- Jones, Greg. 2008. BEMRP: Beyond the bitterroot.
- Canton-Tompson, Janie; Gebert, Krista M.; Thompson, Brooke; Jones, Greg; Calkin, David; Donovan, Geoff. 2008. External human factors in incident management team decisionmaking and their effect on large fire suppression expenditures.
- Calkin, David; Jones, Greg; Hyde, Kevin. 2008. Nonmarket resource valuation in the postfire environment.
- Jones, Greg. 2008. Social and economic value of riparian environments.
- Jones, Greg; Loeffler, Dan. 2008. What pollutes more: Burning logging scraps on-site or hauling them to boilers?.
- Jones, Greg. 2007. BEMRP: Conducting research, sharing results.
- Mercer, Evan; Jones, Greg. 2007. Optimal fire and fuels management.
- Canton-Thompson, Janie; Thompson, Brooke; Gebert, Krista; Calkin, David; Donovan, Geoff; Jones, Greg. 2006. Factors affecting fire suppression costs as identified by incident management teams.
- Hyde, Kevin; Jones, Greg; Silverstein, Robin; Stockmann, Keith; Loeffler, Dan. 2006. Integrating Fuel Treatments into Comprehensive Ecosystem Management.
- Calkin, David; Hyde, Kevin; Gebert, Krista; Jones, Greg. 2005. Comparing resource values at risk from wildfires with Forest Service fire suppression expenditures: Examples from 2003 western Montana wildfire season.
- Zuuring, Hans R.; Troutwine, Judy M.; Jones, Greg J.; Sullivan, Janet. 2005. Decision support models for economically efficient integrated forest management.