200 East Broadway
Missoula, MT 59802
Contact Julie Gilbertson-Day
Julie conducts spatial analysis and provides research support for the National Fire Decision Support Center in the areas of wildfire economics and decision support. Previously a cooperator with RMRS from the University of Montana, she has participated in several research projects such as the Cohesive Strategy Science Report, Rapid Assessment of Values-at-Risk (RAVAR), and various wildfire risk assessment and fire effects projects.
Current research interests include data and spatial scale issues related to wildfire modeling and risk assessments, downscaling regional wildfire risk assessments, fire behavior modeling and using risk assessment tools to identify potential fuels treatment locations.
- University of Montana, MS Geography, 2010
- University of Montana, BS Wildlife Biology, 2003
Featured Publications & Products
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Calkin, David E.; Finney, Mark A.; Ager, Alan A.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie W. 2011. Integrated national-scale assessment of wildfire risk to human and ecological values.
- Calkin, David E.; Ager, Alan A.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie. 2010. Wildfire risk and hazard: procedures for the first approximation.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Calkin, David E.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie W.; Ager, Alan A. 2011. Advancing effects analysis for integrated, large-scale wildfire risk assessment.
Publications & Products
- Ager, Alan A.; Day, Michelle A.; McHugh, Charles W.; Short, Karen; Gilbertson-Day, Julie; Finney, Mark A.; Calkin, David E. 2014. Wildfire exposure and fuel management on western US national forests.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Scott, Joe; Kaiden, Jeffrey D.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie W. 2013. A polygon-based modeling approach to assess exposure of resources and assets to wildfire.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Scott, Joe; Langowski, Paul G.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie W.; Haas, Jessica R.; Bowne, Elise M. 2013. Assessing watershed-wildfire risks on National Forest System lands in the Rocky Mountain Region of the United States.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Hand, Michael S.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie W.; Vaillant, Nicole M.; Nalle, Darek J. 2013. Hazardous fuel treatments, suppression cost impacts, and risk mitigation.
- Hyde, Kevin; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Bohrer, Gil; Calkin, David; Evers, Louisa; Gilbertson-Day, Julie; Nicolet, Tessa; Ryan, Kevin; Tague, Christina. 2013. Research and development supporting risk-based wildfire effects prediction for fuels and fire management: Status and needs.