Janet L. Fryer
Technical Information Specialist
Contact Janet L. Fryer
I am an editor and writer for the Fire Effects Information System (FEIS) at the Missoula Fire Sciences Laboratory. The FEIS reviews I write focus on dominant plant species in the western United States; my editing specialties are native plants and animals of the United States.
I am interested in how effecttively plant species can estabolish from seed after fire: where do the seeds come from, and how conducive is the postfire environment to seedling establishment?
FEIS reviews provide fire ecology and fire efffects information for land mangers and the public. FEIS reviews are widely cited in NEPA documentsrequried for prescribed fire and mechanical fule reduction treatments.
Why This Research is Important
I studied drought tolerance of whitebark pine populations in the Northern Rocky Mountains.
- California State University, Stanislaus, B.S. Botany
- University of Montana, Missoula, M.S. Plant Ecology, research included the study of the population ecology of whitebark pine.
- Cooke, Brian; Smith, Jane Kapler; Innes, Robin; Fryer, Janet; Zouhar, Kris; Abrahamson, Ilana; Murphy, Shannon; Masin, Eva. 2015. Fire And Forethought: Fire Effects Syntheses Are A Powerful Tool For Planning And Management Across Resource Fields.
- Smith, Jane Kapler; Fryer, Janet L.; Zouhar, Kristin. 2009. The Fire Effects Information System - Serving Managers Since Before The Yellowstone Fires.
- Smith, Jane Kapler; Zouhar, Kristin L.; Fryer, Janet. 2009. Writing Syntheses For Managers: Lessons From The Rainbow Series And Fire Effects Information System.