John D. Shaw
507 25th Street
Ogden, UT 84401
Contact John D. Shaw
My research focuses on studies in stand dynamics that include maximum density-site relationships, groth and yield implications of mixed-species stands, and effects of stand senescence on stand structure and regeneration; partitioning forest mortality by background (e.g., density dependence, endemic insect and disease) vs. excess (e.g., drought) causes; new, biologically consistent models of tree and stand growth
I work to maximize the value of the Forest Inventory Analysis (FIA) program by expanding the potential range of analyses and developing useful and relevant tools from the FIA data. This research will produce tools and models that will allow more accurate assessment and modeling of stand dynamics. These will enable managers to project more realistic scenarios when considering vegetation management or the effects of anticipated disturbances.
While FIA data are primarily designed for long-term, broad-scale analysis and reporting, they can be used for a wide variety of analysis and reporting applications. FIA data can be brought to bear on basic research questions that cannot be definitively addressed using shorter temporal or smaller geographic time scales. FIA data permit testing of study results that have been done at limited scales, resulting in better understanding of the range of inference that is appropriate for those studied. Similarly, a variety of hypotheses may also be tested, without the need to initiate stand-alone studies.
Why This Research is Important
Growth and yield of aspen and cottonwood in Interior Alaska Habitat use of snowshoe hares in young lodgepole pine forestsStructural characteristics of goshawk nest standsSilvicultural systems for maintenance of forest structure at landscape scales
- University of Alaska-Fairbanks, BS Natural Resources Management, 1991
- University of Alaska-Fairbanks, MS Natural Resources Management, 1994
- Utah State University, Ph.D. Forest Ecology, 2001
Featured Publications & Products
- DeBlander, Larry T.; Shaw, John D.; Witt, Chris; Menlove, Jim; Thompson, Michael T.; Morgan, Todd A.; DeRose, R. Justin; Amacher, Michael C. 2010. Utah's forest resources, 2000-2005.
- Moser, W. Keith; Bush, Renate; Shaw, John D.; Hansen, Mark H.; Nelson, Mark D. 2010. The role of strategic forest inventories in aiding land management decision-making: Examples from the U.S.
- Long, James N.; Shaw, John D. 2010. The influence of compositional and structural diversity on forest productivity.
- Shaw, J. D.; Long, J. N.; Thompson, M. T.; DeRose, R. J. 2010. Population-wide mortality in multiple forest types in western North America: onset, extent, and severity of impacts as indicators of climatic influence.
- Shaw, John D.; Long, James N. 2010. Consistent definition and application of Reineke's Stand Density Index in silviculture and stand projection.
Publications & Products
- Goeking, Sara A.; Shaw, John D.; Witt, Chris; Thompson, Michael T.; Werstak, Charles E., Jr..; Amacher, Michael C.; Stuever, Mary; Morgan, Todd A.; Sorenson, Colin B.; Hayes, Steven W.; McIver, Chelsea P. 2014. New Mexico’s forest resources, 2008-2012.
- Vacchiano, Giorgio; DeRose, R. Justin; Shaw, John D.; Svoboda, Miroslav; Motta, Renzo. 2013. A density management diagram for Norway spruce in the temperate Europe montane region.
- Callahan, Colin M.; Rowe, Carol A.; Ryel, Ronald J.; Shaw, John D.; Madritch, Michael D.; Mock, Karen E. 2013. Continental-scale assessment of genetic diversity and population structure in quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides).
- DeRose, R. Justin; Bentz, Barbara J.; Long, James N.; Shaw, John D. 2013. Effect of increasing temperatures on the distribution of spruce beetle in Engelmann spruce forests of the Interior West, USA.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Wang, Shih-Yu; Shaw, John D. 2013. Feasibility of high-density climate reconstruction based on Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) collected tree-ring data.
- Ross-Davis, Amy L.; Kim, Mee-Sook; Stewart, Jane E.; Hanna, John W.; Shaw, John D.; Klopfenstein, Ned B. 2013. From diagnostics to metagenomics: Applications of DNA-based tools in forest pathology.
- Wilson, B. Tyler; Conner, Ali; Christensen, Glenn; Shaw, John; Meade, Jason; Royer, Larry. 2012. A database strategy for new variables.
- Long, James N.; Shaw, John D. 2012. A density management diagram for even-aged Sierra Nevada mixed-conifer stands.
- Hanna, John; Ashiglar, Sara; Case, Anna; Fairweather, Mary Lou; Hoffman, Chris; Kim, Mee-Sook; Maffei, Helen; Mathiasen, Robert; McDonald, Geral; Nelson, Erik; Ross-Davis, Amy; Shaw, John; Klopfenstein, Ned. 2012. Armillaria root disease in the western USA.
- Gray, Andrew N.; Brandeis, Thomas J.; Shaw, John D.; McWilliams, William H.; Miles, Patrick. 2012. Forest Inventory and Analysis Database of the United States of America (FIA).
- Kusbach, Tony; Shaw, John; Long, James; Van Miegroet, Helga. 2012. Habitat typing versus advanced vegetation classification in western forests.
- Witt, Chris; Shaw, John D.; Thompson, Michael T.; Goeking, Sara A.; Menlove, Jim; Amacher, Michael C.; Morgan, Todd A.; Werstak, Charles. 2012. Idaho's Forest Resources, 2004-2009.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Wang, W. Shih-Yu (Simon); Shaw, John D. 2012. Investigating Forest Inventory and Analysis-collected tree-ring data from Utah as a proxy for historical climate.
- Menlove, Jim; Shaw, John D.; Thompson, Michael T.; Witt, Chris; Amacher, Michael C.; Morgan, Todd A.; Sorenson, Colin; McIver, Chelsea; Werstak, Charles. 2012. Montana's forest resources, 2003-2009.
- Affleck, David L.R.; Goodburn, John M.; Shaw, John D. 2012. Strategies for assessing inter- and intra-specific variation in tree biomass in the interior west.
- Baker, Fred; Hansen, Mark; Shaw, John D.; Mielke, Manfred; Shelstad, Dixon. 2012. The incidence of dwarf mistletoe in Minnesota black spruce stands detected by operational inventories.
- Mock, Karen E.; Callahan, Colin M.; Islam-Faridi, M. Nurul; Shaw, John D.; Rai, Hardeep S.; Sanderson, Stewart C.; Rowe, Carol A.; Ryel, Ronald J.; Madritch, Michael D.; Gardner, Richard S.; Wolf, Paul G. 2012. Widespread triploidy in western North American aspen (Populus tremuloides).
- Shaw, John D.; Long, James; Marzano, Raffaella; Garbarino, Matteo. 2012. Woody debris dynamics in Interior West forests and woodlands.
- Witt, Christopher; Shaw, John D. 2010. Characteristics of pinyon-juniper woodlands in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument: Changes since Monument establishment and prospects for future monitoring.
- Thompson, Michael T.; Duda, Joseph A.; DeBlander, Larry T.; Shaw, John D.; Witt, Chris; Morgan, Todd A.; Amacher, Michael C. 2010. Colorado's forest resources, 2002-2006.
- Toney, Chris; Shaw, John D.; Nelson, Mark D. 2009. A stem-map model for predicting tree canopy cover of Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) plots.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Long, James N.; Shaw, John D. 2009. Relationships between forest structure, composition, site, and spruce beetle occurrence in the Intermountain West.
- Shaw, John D. 2009. Using FIA data in the Forest Vegetation Simulator.
- Vacchiano, Giorgio; Motta, Renzo; Long, James N.; Shaw, John D. 2008. A density management diagram for Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.): A tool for assessing the forest's protective effect.
- Shaw, John D. 2008. Assessment of drought related mortality in pinyon-juniper and ponderosa pine forests using Forest Inventory and Analysis data.
- Gottfried, Gerald J.; Shaw, John D.; Ford, Paulette L. 2008. Ecology, management, and restoration of pinon-juniper and ponderosa pine ecosystems: combined proceedings of the 2005 St. George, Utah and 2006 Albuquerque, New Mexico workshops.
- Shaw, John D. 2008. Forest resources of the Gila National Forest.
- Shaw, John D. 2008. Growth and yield of southwest pinyon-juniper woodlands: Modeling growth and drought effects.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Shaw, John D.; Vacchiano, Giorgio; Long, James N. 2008. Improving longleaf pine mortality predictions in the Southern Variant of the Forest Vegetation Simulator.
- Vacchiano, Giorgio; Shaw, John D.; DeRose, R. Justin; Long, James N. 2008. Inventory-based sensitivity analysis of the Large Tree Diameter Growth Submodel of the Southern Variant of the FVS.
- Cole, Kenneth L.; Ironside, Kirsten E.; Arundel, Samantha T.; Duffy, Philip; Shaw, John. 2008. Modeling future plant distributions on the Colorado Plateau: An example using Pinus edulis.
- Baker, F. A.; Shaw, J. D. 2008. Survivor aspen: Can we predict who will get voted off the island?.
- Pourreza, Morteza; Shaw, John D.; Zangeneh, Hoshang. 2008. Sustainability of wild pistachio (Pistacia atlantica Desf.) in Zagros forests, Iran.
- Shaw, John D.; Long, James N. 2007. A density management diagram for longleaf pine stands with application to red-cockaded woodpecker habitat.
- Shaw, John D.; Long, James N. 2007. Forest ecology and biogeography of the Uinta Mountains, USA.
- Shaw, John D. 2006. Forest resources of the Lincoln National Forest.
- Shaw, John D. 2006. Population-wide changes in pinyon-juniper woodlands caused by drought in the American Southwest: Effects on structure, composition, and distribution.
- Shaw, John D. 2006. Reineke's Stand Density Index: Where are we and where do we go from here?.
- Long, James N.; Shaw, John D. 2005. A density management diagram for even-aged ponderosa pine stands.
- Shaw, John D.; Steed, Brytten E.; DeBlander, Larry T. 2005. Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) annual inventory answers the question: What is happening to pinyon-juniper woodlands?.
- Shaw, John D. 2004. Forest resources of the Tonto National Forest.