John M. Considine
Materials Research Engineer
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Contact John M. Considine
- Use of VFM (Virtual Fields Method) for stiffness identification in thin web materials
- Determination of stiffness variation (heterogeneity) in paper and paperboard
- Constitutive behavior of paper and paperboard
- Full-field experimental displacement techniques on orthotropic materials
- Property optimization for increased end-use performance of cellulosic materials
- Time, temperature and moisture effects on paper and paperboard
- Heterogeneity characterization of materials
- Full-field displacement measurement techniques
Why This Research is Important
Conservation of the US cellulose fiber resource reduces landfill requirements, transportation costs and improves industry competitiveness.
- University of Wisconsin - Madison, Ph.D. Materials Science Program, 2013
- University of Wisconsin - Madison, M.S. Engineering Mechanics, 1986
- University of Wisconsin - Madison, B.S. Engineering Mechanics, 1985
- Society of Experimental Mechanics Member: Inverse Methods Technical Division, Member
- Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI), Member
Featured Publications & Products
- Considine, John M.; Vahey, David W.; Gleisner, Roland; Rudie, Alan; Rolland du Roscoat, Sabine; Bloch, Jean-Francis. 2010. Z-direction fiber orientation in paperboard.
- Vahey, David W.; Considine, John M. 2010. Tests for z-direction fibre orientation in paper.
- Vahey, David W.; Considine, John M. 2008. Surface and subsurface fiber-orientation-angle measurements in three office papers.
- West, B.F.; Hotle, B.T.; Jakes, J.E.; Considine, J.M.; Rowlands, R.E.; Turner, K.T. 2008. Nanoindentation studies of paper.
Publications & Products
- Considine, John M. 2014. Characterization of Paper Heterogeneity.
- Considine, J.M.; Pierron, F.; Turner, K.T.; Vahey, D.W. 2014. General Anisotropy Identification of Paperboard with Virtual Fields Method.
- Baez, Carlos; Considine, John; Rowlands, Robert. 2014. Influence of drying restraint on physical and mechanical properties of nanofibrillated cellulose films.
- Wald, M.J.; Considine, J.M.; Turner, K.T. 2013. Determining the Elastic Modulus of Compliant Thin Films Supported on Substrates from Flat Punch Indentation Measurements.
- Vahey, David W.; Considine, John M.; and MacGregor, Michael A. 2013. Influence of forming conditions on fiber tilt.
- Wang, Qianqian; Zhu, J.Y.; Considine, John M. 2013. Strong and Optically Transparent Films Prepared Using Cellulosic Solid Residue Recovered from Cellulose Nanocrystals Production Waste Stream.
- Chen, Weixu; Tang, Xiaoyan; Considine, John; Turner, Kevin T. 2011. Effect of inorganic fillers in paper on the adhesion of pressure-sensitive adhesives.
- Considine, John M.; Vahey, David W.; Evans, James W.; Turner, Kevin T.; Rowlands, Robert E. 2011. Evaluation of strength-controlling defects in paper by stress concentration analyses.
- Considine, John M.; Ralph, Sally A. 2011. Proceedings, sixth international symposium : moisture and creep effects on paper, board and containers: Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 14-15 July 2009.
- Vahey, David W.; Considine, John M.; Gleisner, Roland; Rudie, Alan; Rolland du Roscoat, Sabine; Bloch, Jean-Francis. 2009. Impact of z-direction fiber orientation on performance of commercial and laboratory linerboards.
- Vahey, David W.; Considine, John M.; Kahra, Andy; Scotch, Mark. 2008. Comparison of fiber orientation and tensile-stiffness orientation measurements in paper.
- Hotle, B.T.; Considine, J.M.; Wald, M.J.; Rowlands, R.E.; Turner, K.T. 2008. Effects of thermal aging on mechanical performance of paper.
- Considine, John M.; Vahey, David W. 2008. Investigation of fiber tilt in paperboard.
- Vahey, David W.; Considine, John M. 2007. Tests for Z-direction fiber orientation.
- Considine, John M.; Scott, C. Tim; Gleisner, Roland; Zhu, Junyong. 2006. Local constitutive behavior of paper determined by an inverse method.
- Gunderson, Dennis E.; Considine, John M. 1986. Measuring the mechanical behavior of paperboard in a changing humidity environment.
|New Method Measures Localized Stiffness of Thin Paper Materials with a Single Test|
Forest Products Laboratory researchers have developed a method to measure localized stiffness of thin paper materials with a single test. Althou ...