John C. Byrne
1221 South Main Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact John C. Byrne
I assist program scientists in the design, implementation, and data analysis of research studies. Current studies I am currently working on are (1) secondary plant succession and regeneration establishment following the wildfires of 2000-2003 in Montana, Oregon, and Idaho; and (2) connecting forest inventories to Lidar measurements. I maintain a set of permanent plots, and the associated data, for measuring forest growth and development over time. These plots are scattered in the forests of northern Idaho, northeastern Washington, and western Montana. I also supervise field crews in taking measurements at research study sites and permanent plots. Back at the lab, I led an effort by lab employees to convert part of the lawn to a native Palouse prairie.
Pre Forest Service
Byrne, John C.; Reed, David D. 1986. Complex compatible taper and volume estimation systems for red and loblolly pine. Forest Science. 32: 423-443.
Reed, David D.; Byrne, John C. 1985. A simple, variable form volume estimation system. Forestry Chronicle. 61(2): 87-90.
- Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI, MS Forest Biometrics, 1985
- Univ. of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Stevens Point, WI, BS Forest Management, Watershed Management, Biology, 1981
- Rochester Community College, Rochester, MN, AA Conservation, 1976
Featured Publications & Products
- Ferguson, Dennis E.; Byrne, John C.; Wykoff, William R.; Kummet, Brian; Hensold, Ted. 2011. Response of ponderosa pine stands to pre-commercial thinning on Nez Perce and Spokane Tribal forests in the Inland Northwest, USA.
- van Mantgem, Phillip J.; Stephenson, Nathan L.; Byrne, John C.; Daniels, Lori D.; Franklin, Jerry F.; Fule, Peter Z.; Harmon, Mark E.; Larson, Andrew J.; Smith, Jeremy M.; Taylor, Alan H.; Veblen, Thomas T. 2009. Widespread increase of tree mortality rates in the Western United States.
- Ferguson, Dennis E.; Byrne, John C.; Coffen, Dale O. 2005. Reforestation trials and secondary succession with three levels of overstory shade in the Grand Fir Mosaic ecosystem.
- Ferguson, Dennis E.; Byrne, John C. 2000. Environmental characteristics of the Grand Fir Mosaic and adjacent habitat types.
Publications & Products
- Hudak, Andrew T.; Strand, Eva K.; Vierling, Lee A.; Byrne, John C.; Eitel, Jan U. H.; Martinuzzi, Sebastian; Falkowski, Michael J. 2012. Quantifying aboveground forest carbon pools and fluxes from repeat LiDAR surveys.
- van Mantgem, Phillip J.; Stephenson, Nathan L.; Byrne, John C.; Daniels, Lori D.; Franklin, Jerry F.; Fule, Peter Z.; Harmon, Mark E.; Larson, Andrew J.; Smith, Jeremy M.; Taylor, Alan H.; Veblen, Thomas T. 2009. Widespread increase of tree mortality rates in the western United States.
- Moore, James A.; Hamilton, David A, Jr..; Xiao, Yu; Byrne, John. 2004. Bedrock type significantly affects individual tree mortality for various conifers in the inland Northwest, U.S.A.
- Byrne, John C. 1993. Incorporating additional tree and environmental variables in a lodgepole pine stem profile model.
- Byrne, John C. 1993. Maintaining a permanent plot data base for growth and yield research: Solutions to some recurring problems.
- Byrne, John C.; Sweet, Michael D. 1992. Managing data from remeasured plots: An evaluation of existing systems.
- Sweet, Michael D.; Byrne, John C. 1990. A standardized data structure for describing and exchanging data from remeasured growth and yield plots.
- Byrne, John C.; Stage, Albert R. 1988. A data structure for describing sampling designs to aid in compilation of stand attributes.
- Byrne, John C.; Stage, Albert R. 1988. Description of sampling designs using a comprehensive data structure.
- Byrne, John C.; Stage, Albert R.; Renner, David L. 1988. Distribution of permanent plots to evaluate silvicultural treatments in the Inland Empire.
- Byrne, John C.; Reed, David D. 1986. Complex compatible taper and volume estimation systems for red and loblolly pine.