Jason A. Forthofer
My research involves numerical, field and laboratory studies of heat transfer and fluid flow relating to wildland fires. This includes microscale wind flow modeling in complex terrain and development of fire behavior understanding and modeling.
My research interests are related to heat transfer and fluid dynamics in wildland fires. Specific areas include wind flow in complex terrain, firefighter safety zones, fire whirls, numerical modeling, and fire behavior.
My research is important to on-the-ground firefighters and fire managers for several reasons, including firefighter safety, better planning and management, and cost savings.
Why This Research is Important
My past work includes development of two microscale wind models (WindNInja and WindWizard), safety zone size guidelines, development of field sensor instrumentation and deployment, and numerical heat transfer models.
- Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, BA Mechanical Engineering, 2001
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, MS Forest Science, 2007
Featured Publications & Products
- Yedinak, Kara M.; Cohen, Jack D.; Forthofer, Jason M.; Finney, Mark A. 2010. An examination of flame shape related to convection heat transfer in deep-fuel beds.
- Jimenez, Dan; Forthofer, Jason; Reardon, James; Butler, Bret. 2007. Fire behavior sensor package remote trigger design.
- Forthofer, Jason; Butler, Bret. 2007. Differences in simulated fire spread over Askervein Hill using two advanced wind models and a traditional uniform wind field.
- Butler, Bret W.; Finney, Mark; Bradshaw, Larry; Forthofer, Jason; McHugh, Chuck; Stratton, Rick; Jimenez, Dan. 2006. WindWizard: A New Tool for Fire Management Decision Support.
Publications & Products
- Forthofer, Jason M.; Butler, Bret W.; Wagenbrenner, Natalie S. 2014. A comparison of three approaches for simulating fine-scale surface winds in support of wildland fire management: Part I. Model formulation and comparison against measurements.
- Finney, Mark A.; Forthofer, Jason; Grenfell, Isaac C.; Adam, Brittany A.; Akafuah, Nelson K.; Saito, Kozo. 2013. A study of flame spread in engineered cardboard fuelbeds: Part I: Correlations and observations.
- Adam, Brittany A.; Akafuah, Nelson K.; Finney, Mark; Forthofer, Jason; Saito, Kozo. 2013. A study of flame spread in engineered cardboard fuelbeds: Part II: Scaling law approach.
- Frankman, David; Webb, Brent W.; Butler, Bret W.; Jimenez, Daniel; Forthofer, Jason M.; Sopko, Paul; Shannon, Kyle S.; Hiers, J. Kevin; Ottmar, Roger D. 2012. Measurements of convective and radiative heating in wildland fires.
- Forthofer, Jason M.; Goodrick, Scott L. 2011. Review of vortices in wildland fire.
- Werth, Paul A.; Potter, Brian E.; Clements, Craig B.; Finney, Mark A.; Goodrick, Scott L.; Alexander, Martin E.; Cruz, Miguel G.; Forthofer, Jason A.; McAllister, Sara S. 2011. Synthesis of knowledge of extreme fire behavior: volume I for fire managers.