Hao C. Tran
Assistant Station Director, Research
800 Buchanan Street
Albany, CA 94710
Since January 2005, Dr. Hao C. Tran has been an Assistant Station Director for the Pacific Southwest Research Station. In addition to many Headquarters functions dealing with the Forest Service leadership and relationship building with external partners, he has oversight of the Riverside Fire Lab, the Redding Silviculture Lab, and the Center for Urban Forest Research Center.
Prior to this assignment, Dr. Tran has done research on the use of forest and agricultural biomass for the production of ethanol as an alternate fuel. At the USDA Forest Products Laboratory in Madison, WI, he did research on ignition and flame spread in structure fires. His ignition work is a fundamental component for modeling ignition in an urban wildland interface fire hazard assessment model. Between 1992 and 2004, Hao held several science administrator assignments in the Washington Office where he was a program manager and budget coordinator for the Forest Products program in the Forest Products and Harvesting Research and the Staff Assistant to the Deputy Chief for R&D.
- University of California, Ph.D. Agricultural and Environmental Chemistry, 1986
- University of California, B.S. Wood Science and Technology, 1979
- Australian National University, Forestry Forestry, 1977
Featured Publications & Products
- Tran, Hao C.; White, Robert E. 1990. Heat release from wood wall assemblies using oxygen consumption method.
Publications & Products
- White, R. H.; Dietenberger, M. A.; Tran, H.; Grexa, O.; Richardson, L.; Sumathipala, K.; Janssens, M. 1998. Comparison of test protocols for standard room/corner tests.
- Tran, H. C. 1994. Simulating wall and corner fire tests on wood products with the OSU room fire model.
- Tran, H. C.; White, R. H. 1992. Burning rate of solid wood measured in a heat release rate calorimeter.
- Janssens, M.; Tran, H. C. 1992. Data reduction of room tests for zone model validation.
- Tran, H. C.; Janssens, M. L. 1991. Wall and corner fire tests on selected wood products.
- LeVan, S. L.; Tran, H. C. 1990. The role of boron in flame-retardant treatments.
- Tran, H. C.; Janssens, M. L. 1989. Room fire test for fire growth modeling : a sensitivity study.