Helen Y. Smith
5775 US West Highway 10
Missoula, MT 59808
Contact Helen Y. Smith
Quantification of fuelbed characteristics in managed lodgepole pine (Tenderfoot Creek Experimental Forest in the Little Belt Mountains of central MT)Attrition study of lodgepole pine snags created by logging damage, fire damage, or mountain pine beetle Remeasurement of permanent plots established in 1997/98 to quantify changes in lodgepole pine forest structure
To better understand fuel dynamics in multi-aged lodgepole pine forests and investigate ways that managers can perpetuate these stands.
My research is important in helping managers and the public make sound land use decisions based on anticipated fire effects and responses of vegetation.
Why This Research is Important
Conducted fire history studies in western larch/lodgepole pine/Douglas-fir forestsInvestigated changes in forest stand structure in western larch, ponderosa pine, Douglas-fir, and lodgepole pine forestsCharacterized fuelbed changes in treated pi�on-juniper forestsCharacterized changes in masticated (chipped/shredded) fuelbeds in Montana, New Mexico, and Colorado
- University of Montana, Missoula, BS Wildlife Biology, 1995
- University of Montana, Missoula, MS Resource Conservation - Ponderosa pine snag longevity, 1999
Featured Publications & Products
- Hardy, Colin C.; Smith, Helen Y.; McCaughey, Ward. 2006. The Use of Silviculture and Prescribed Fire to Manage Stand Structure and Fuel Profiles in a Multi-aged Lodgepole Pine Forest.
- Smith, Helen Y.; Hood, Sharon; Brooks, Matt; Matchett, JR; Deuser, Curt. 2006. Response of Fuelbed Characteristics to Restoration Treatments in Pinyon-Juniper-Encroached Shrublands on the Shivwits Plateau, Arizona.
- Hillis, Mike; Applegate, Vick; Slaughter, Steve; Harrington, Michael G.; Smith, Helen. 2001. Simulating historical disturbance regimes and stand structures in old-forest ponderosa pine/Douglas-fir forests.
- Smith, Helen Y. 2000. Wildlife habitat considerations.
- Smith, Helen Y. 2000. The Bitterroot Ecosystem Management Research Project: What we have learned.
Publications & Products
- Hood, Sharon M.; Smith, Helen Y.; Wright, David K.; Glasgow, Lance S. 2012. Management guide to ecosystem restoration treatments: two-aged lodgepole pine forests of central Montana, USA.
- Matchett, J. R.; Brooks, Matthew; Halford, Anne; Johnson, Dale; Smith, Helen. 2010. Evaluating the effects of pinyon thinning treatments at a wildland urban interface.
- Smith, Helen Y.; Arno, Stephen F. 1999. Eighty-eight years of change in a managed ponderosa pine forest.