Haiganoush K. Preisler
800 Buchanan St.
Albany, CA 94710
Contact Haiganoush K. Preisler
My current work is focused on developing probability risk models and data analytic techniques necessary for assessing and predicting impacts of disturbances on forest ecosystemsCurrent Studies
- Probability modeling and forecasting fire risk (occurrence and size).
- Modeling and analysis of interactive effects of fire and insect epidemics in a changing climate
- Stochastic modeling of animal movement subjected to human disturbance.
- Analytic technique for assessing the contribution of wildfire and other anthropogenic and climactic factors on air quality in the Sierra Nevada.
Haiganoush has been with the Environmental Statistics Unit at Albany since August 1997. Prior to that, she was the research statistician for the Forest Insect Population Unit (4503) also at Albany. Her research with the Forest Insect Unit was concerned with the statistical aspects of dose-response bioassays; modeling of bark beetle attacks; modeling chemotaxis of bark beetle's and spread of root disease in forest stands. Haiganoush earned her Ph.D. in Statistics from the university of California, Berkeley in 1977 and joined the Forest Service in 1984.
- University of California Berkeley, CA, Ph.D. Statistics, 1977
- American University of Beirut, Lebanon, M.S. Statistics, 1972
Publications & Products
- Preisler, H. K.; Ager, A. A.; Wisdom, M. J. 2013. Analyzing animal movement patterns using potential functions.
- Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Fenn, Mark; Gertler, Alan; Preisler, Haiganoush; Zielinska, Barbara. 2013. Distribution of ozone, ozone precursors and gaseous components of atmospheric nitrogen deposition in the Lake Tahoe Basin.
- Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Burley, Joel D.; Cisneros, Ricardo; Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Schilling, Susan; Schweizer, Donald; Ray, John; Dulen, Deanna; Beck, Christopher; Auble, Bianca. 2013. Surface ozone at the Devils Postpile National Monument receptor site during low and high wildland fire years.
- Ager, Alan A.; Vaillant, Nicole M.; Finney, Mark A.; Preisler, Haiganoush K. 2012. Analyzing wildfire exposure and source–sink relationships on a fire prone forest landscape.
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Hicke, Jeffrey A.; Ager, Alan A.; Hayes, Jane L. 2012. Climate and weather influences on spatial temporal patterns of mountain pine beetle populations in Washington and Oregon.
- Hicke, Jeffrey A; Johnson, Morris C.; Hayes, Jane L.; Preisler, Haiganoush K. 2012. Effects of bark beetle-caused tree mortality on wildfire.
- Westerling, A.L.; Bryant, B.P.; Preisler, H.K.; Holmes, T.P.; Hildalgo, H.G.; Das, T.; Shrestha, S.R. 2011. Climate change and growth scenarios for California wildfire.
- Preisler, Haiganoush; Westerling, Anthony L.; Gebert, Krista M.; Munoz-Arriola, Francisco; Holmes, Thomas P. 2011. Spatially explicit forecasts of large wildland fire probability and suppression costs for California.
- Bytnerowicz, A.; Cayan, D.; Riggan, P.; Schilling, S.; Dawson, P.; Tyree, M.; Wolden, L.; Tissell, R.; Preisler, H. 2010. Analysis of the effects of combustion emissions and Santa Ana winds on ambient ozone during the October 2007 southern California wildfires.
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Zhong, Shiyuan (Sharon); Esperanza, Annie; Brown, Timothy J.; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Tarnay, Leland. 2010. Estimating contribution of wildland fires to ambient ozone levels in National Parks in the Sierra Nevada, California.
- Matthews, Kathleen; Preisler, Haiganoush. 2010. Site fidelity of the declining amphibian Rana sierrae (Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frog).
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Zhong, Shiyuan (Sharon); Esperanza, Annie; Tarnay, Leland; Kahyaoglu-Koracin, Julide. 2009. A statistical model for forecasting hourly ozone levels during fire season.
- Preisler, H.K.; Burgan, R.E.; Eidenshink, J.C.; Klaver, J.M.; Klaver, R.W. 2009. Forecasting distributions of large federal-lands fires utilizing satellite and gridded weather information.
- Chen, Shyh-Chin; Preisler, Haiganoush; Fujioka, Francis; Benoit, John W.; Roads, John O. 2009. Seasonal predictions for wildland fire severity.
- Hubbert, K. R.; Wohlgemuth, P. M.; Preisler, H. K. 2008. Pre- and postfire distribution of soil water repellency in a steep chaparral watershed.
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Fujioka, Francis; Benoit, John W.; Westerling, Anthony L. 2008. Wildland fire probabilities estimated from weather model-deduced monthly mean fire danger indices.
- Fusina, Lesley; Zhong, Sharon; Koracin, Julide; Brown, Tim; Esperanza, Annie; Tarney, Leland; Preisler, Haiganoush. 2007. Validation of BlueSky Smoke Prediction System using surface and satellite observations during major wildland fire events in Northern California.
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Ager, Alan A.; Wisdom, Michael J. 2006. Statistical methods for analysing responses of wildlife to human disturbance.
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Ager, Alan A.; Wisdom, Michael J. 2006. Statistical methods for analysing responses of wildlife to human disturbance..
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Westerling, Anthony L. 2006. Statistical model for forecasting monthly large wildfire events in western United States.
- Wisdom, Michael J.; Ager, Alan A.; Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Cimon, Norman J.; Johnson, Bruce K. 2004. Effects of off-road recreation on mule deer and elk..
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Ager, Alan A.; Johnson, Bruce K.; Kie, John G. 2004. Modeling animal movements using stochastic differential equations.
- Ager, Alan A.; Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Johnson, Bruce K.; Kie, John G. 2004. Movements and habitat use of rocky mountain elk and mule deer..
- Dunk, Jeffrey R.; Zielinski, William J.; Preisler, Haiganoush K. 2004. Predicting the occurrence of rare mollusks in northern California forests.
- Preisler, Haiganoush K. 1992. Spatial Analysis in Bark Beetle Research.
|Development of Interactive Web Based Maps for Predicting Expected Numbers of Large Fires on US federal Lands|
A new tool for fire managers, allows anticipation of significant fire events and suppression costs