Research Forest Products Technologist
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Contact Hongmei Gu
Life Cycle Analysis on Biofuel, Bioproducts from forest or mill residues using modular biomass gasification system. Life Cycle primary energy and carbon footprint of recovering wood from buildings for reuse and comparing to virgin wood building materials.
Environmental impacts from Biofuel, Bioproducts and newly developed biocomposite from woody biomass using Life Cycle Analysis techniques. Environmental Product Declaration research for wood and biomass products. Nanocellulose materials production and applications. Environmental impacts from woody biomass Nanocellulose production and applications.
Implementing Cellulose NanoCrystals (CNC) and Cellulose NanoFribrils (CNF) mass production pilot plant; Model for Assessing the Climate Change Impact Associated with Wood Building Materials Reuse & recycling; Design and produce samples of patented new 3D Engineered Fiberboard from forests and agricultural residues;
Why This Research is Important
Life-cycle inventories (LCIs) and Life-cycle assessments (LCAs) of wood products are critically needed 1) to support LCA calculations and material selection decisions under Green Building codes and standards and 2) to provide data needed for environmental products declarations for wood products and thereby maintain their competitiveness.
LCI and LCA information can aid wood product manufactureres and users by identifying and modifying processess that have the highest environmental impacts and thereby reduce the overall emissions. These information can also provide the policy makers with the insights to lead sustainable management practices in the forest products industries.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Wood Science and Forest Products , 2001
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Wood Science and Forest Products , 1998
- Beijing Forestry University, Forest Engineering , 1987
- Forest Products Technologist, USDA Forest Products Laboratory
2013 - Current
Carrying research on LCA for Biofuel and Bioproducts from forest and mill residues using modular Biomass thermal conversion unit.
- President, Founder, B-One Technology Consulting, LLC
2008 - 2013
Assisting Forest Products Lab with developing the first pilot line for mass producing Cellulose NanoCrystal and Cellulose NanoFribrils; Studying carbon footprints for recycled wood building materials and comparing the environmental impacts between the reused materials and virgin building materials; Developing patented 3D-engineered fiberboard using recycled or agricultural fibers;
- Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST), Member (1997 - Current)
Presenting research at SWST annual conferences; reviewing manuscripts for the Wood & Fiber Science journal related to wood physics and wood composite. Was one-term member of Wood Adward Committee, evaluating the candidates' award papers.
- Forest Products Society (FPS), Member (1997 - 2007)
Presenting research at the annual conferences; being a judge for Students' Poster competition;
- Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST), Chair Of The Visiting Scientist Committee (1997 - 2007)
Update the Visiting Scientists profile, communicating with the members, soliciting the applications, and evaluating the applications.
- Graduate Student Assembly At Virginia Tech, Chair (1997 - 2000)
Being the vice chair on the Budget Board committee, screening the budget reports and applications from different graduate students organizations at Virginia Tech; Evaluating and awarding the budget applications every year;
Awards & Recognition
- Patent, 2013
Engineered Modeled Fiberboard Panels and Products Fabricated from the Panels
- The Best of Technical Paper Award, 2004
Won the award while attending and presenting a paper on "Finite Element Analyses of Two Dimensional, Anisotropic Heat Transfer in Wood using ANSYS" at the 2004 International ANSYS Conference
Featured Publications & Products
- Bergman, Richard D., PhD.; Falk, Robert H.; Gu, Hongmei; Napier, Thomas R.; Meil, Jamie. 2013. Life-Cycle Energy And Ghg Emissions For New And Recovered Softwood Framing Lumber And Hardwood Flooring Considering End-Of-Life Scenarios.
- Noble, Robert; Gu, Hongmei; Newburn, Timothy; Mahoney, James; Hunt, John. 2013. Engineered Molded Fiberboard Panels And Methods Of Making And Using The Same.
- Noble, Robert; Hunt, John; Gu, Hongmei; Newburn, Timothy ; Mahoney, James ; Lassegard, Coleen. 2013. Engineered Molded Fiberboard Panels, Methods Of Making The Panels, And Products Fabricated From The Panels.
- Bergman, Richard, PhD.; Gu, Hongmei. 2014. Life-Cycle Inventory Analysis Of Bioproducts From A Modular Advanced Biomass Pyrolysis System.
- Bergman, Richard D., PhD.; Gu, Hongmei; Napier, Thomas R.; Salazar, James; Falk, Robert H. 2012. Life Cycle Primary Energy And Carbon Analysis Of Recovering Softwood Framing Lumber And Hardwood Flooring For Reuse.
- Bergman, Richard D., PhD.; Gu, Hongmei; Falk, Robert H.; Napier, Thomas R. 2010. Using Reclaimed Lumber And Wood Flooring In Construction : Measuring Environmental Impact Using Life-Cycle Inventory Analysis.
- Hunt, John F.; Gu, Hongmei; Lebow, Patricia. 2008. Theoretical Thermal Conductivity Equation For Uniform Density Wood Cells.
- Gu, Hongmei; Hunt, John F. 2007. Two-Dimensional Finite Element Heat Transfer Model Of Softwood. Part Iii, Effect Of Moisture Content On Thermal Conductivity.
- Gu, Hongmei; Hunt, John F. 2006. Two-Dimensional Finite Element Heat Transfer Model Of Softwood. Part Ii, Macrostructural Effects.
- Hunt, John F.; Gu, Hongmei; Walsh, Philip; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2005. Development Of New Microwave-Drying And Straightening Technology For Low-Value Curved Timber.
- Hunt, John F.; Gu, Hongmei. 2004. Finite Element Analyses Of Two Dimensional, Anisotropic Heat Transfer In Wood.
- Gu, Hongmei; Hunt, John F. 2004. Two Dimensional Finite Element Heat Transfer Models For Softwood.