Research Fish Biologist
PNW Research Stn.
3200 SW Jefferson Way
Contact Gordon Reeves
My current research focuses on aquatic ecosystems and how they are considered at the landscape scale, and the development of management and conservation plans for and understanding the potenial impacts of climate changes on aquatic and riparian ecosystems and associated Pacific salmon in the PNW and Alaska.
Gordon Reeves' expertise is in the freshwater ecology of anadromous salmon and trout, conservation biology of those fish, the impacts of climate change on aquatic ecosystems and assoiciated biota,and aquatic aspects of landscape ecology. He has studied the ecology of anadromous salmon and trout in the Pacific Northwest, northern California, Idaho, and Alaska and fish ecology in New Zealand and New York.
Gordon Reeves has studied the ecology of anadromous salmon and trout in the Pacific Northwest, northern California, Idaho, and Alaska and fish ecology in New Zealand and New York. He has published over 50 papers on the freshwater ecology of Pacific salmon and trout, effects of land management activities on the freshwater habitats of these fish, conservation plans, and dynamics of aquatic ecosystems in the PNW. He was a member of committees that developed and evaluated management options for managing federal lands in the PNW and Alaska. He servedas the Team Leader of the Aquatic and Land Interaction Program at the PNW Station in Corvallis for more than 15 years. He was a member of the NOAA Fisheries Technical Recovery Team for coho salmon in coastal Oregon which are listed under the Endangered Species Act He was a co-leader of the Coastal Landscape Analysis and Modeling Study, a long-term, large, interdisciplinary project to model and evaluate forest policy effects in the Oregon Coast Range at multiple scales.
Why This Research is Important
This research has applications in applied and basic arenas. It provides new knowledge and understanding about the: (1) freshwater ecology of Pacific salmon and the physical and biological processes that affect them; and (2) the behavior of aquatic ecosystems in space and time. This in turn has formed the foundation for the development of conservation and management of aquatic ecosystems and Pacific salmon in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska.
- Oregon State University, Fish Biology , 1985
- Humboldt State University, Fish Biology , 1978
- State University of New York, College at Oswego, Biology , 1973
- Research Fish Biologist, USDA Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station, Corvallis, OR.
1985 - Current
- Commercial Fisherman, Trinidad, CA.
1976 - 1978
Worked as deckhand on boat that fished for salmon and rockfish in northern California
- Research Biologist, New York State Research Foundation. State University of New York, Oswego
1973 - 1976
Awards & Recognition
- USDA Forest Service, Alaska Region Regional Forester Excellence in Science and Technology Award, 2008
Given for excellence in developing and transfering science to managers in Region 10 (Alaska)..
- Oregon State University, Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife Distinguished Graduate Award, 2006
Given for outstanding professional accomplishments.
- USDA Forest Service, Chief’s Natural Resource Leadership Award., 2003
GIven for outstanding leadership in research related to the freshwater ecology of Pacific salmon in the PNW and Alaska.
- USDA Secretary’s Award for Outstanding Performance. , 1995
Given for work on the research on the freshwater ecology and development of conservation plans for Pacific salmon in the PNW>.
- Conservationist of the Year Award, Pacific Rivers Council. , 1992
Given for development of conservation plans for Pacific salmon in the PNW. Also won award in1994.
- USDA Forest Service Rise to the Future Award for outstanding contributions in fishery research, 1991
Also won award in 2001 and 2002.
- Ethics in Science Award, USDA Forest Service, 1989
Given for work on the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill
Featured Publications & Products
- Reeves, Gordon H.; Grunbaum, Jon B.; Lang, Dirk W. 2009. Seasonal Variation In Diel Behaviour And Habitat Use By Age 1+ Steelhead (Oncorhynchus Mykiss) In Coast And Cascade Range Streams In Oregon, U.S.A.
- Benda, Lee; Miller, Daniel; Lanigan, Steve; Reeves, Gordon. 2009. Future Of Applied Watershed Science At Regional Scales.
- Bisson, Peter A.; Dunham, Jason B.; Reeves, Gordon H. 2009. Freshwater Ecosystems And Resilience Of Pacific Salmon: Habitat Management Based On Natural Variability.
- Reeves, Gordon H.; Duncan, Sally L. 2009. Ecological History Vs. Social Expectations: Managing Aquatic Ecosystems..
- Falke, Jeffrey A.; Flitcroft, Rebecca L.; Dunham, Jason B.; McNyset, Kristina M.; Hessburg, Paul F.; Reeves, Gordon H.; Marshall, C. Tara. 2015. Climate Change And Vulnerability Of Bull Trout (Salvelinus Confluentus ) In A Fire-Prone Landscape.
- Hessburg, Paul F.; Churchill, Derek J.; Larson, Andrew J.; Haugo, Ryan D.; Miller, Carol; Spies, Thomas A.; North, Malcolm P.; Povak, Nicholas A.; Belote, R. Travis; Singleton, Peter H.; Gaines, William L.; Keane, Robert E.; Aplet, Gregory H.; Stephens, Scott L.; Morgan, Penelope; Bisson, Peter A.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Salter, R. Brion; Reeves, Gordon H. 2015. Restoring Fire-Prone Inland Pacific Landscapes: Seven Core Principles.
- Koch, Geoff; Reeves, Gordon. 2015. Should I Stay Or Should I Go Understanding The Shapeshifting Rainbow Trout/Steelhead.
- Sloat, Matthew R.; Reeves, Gordon H. 2014. Demographic And Phenotypic Responses Of Juvenile Steelhead Trout To Spatial Predictability Of Food Resources.
- Sloat, Matthew R.; Reeves, Gordon H. 2014. Individual Condition, Standard Metabolic Rate, And Rearing Temperature Influence Steelhead And Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus Mykiss) Life Histories.
- Flitcroft, R.; Burnett, K.; Snyder, J.; Reeves, G.; Ganio, L. 2014. Riverscape Patterns Among Years Of Juvenile Coho Salmon In Midcoastal Oregon: Implications For Conservation.
- Reeves, Gordon H. 2013. Integrated Watershed Analysis: Adapting To Changing Times.
- Falke, Jeffrey A.; Dunham, Jason B.; Jordan, Christopher E.; McNyset, Kristina M.; Reeves, Gordon H. 2013. Spatial Ecological Processes And Local Factors Predict The Distribution And Abundance Of Spawning By Steelhead (Oncorhynchus Mykiss) Across A Complex Riverscape.
- Flitcroft, Rebecca L.; Burnett, Kelly M.; Reeves, Gordon H.; Ganio, Lisa M. 2012. Do Network Relationships Matter Comparing Network And Instream Habitat Variables To Explain Densities Of Juvenile Coho Salmon (Oncorhynchus Kisutch) In Mid-Coastal Oregon, Usa.
- McMillan, John R.; Dunham, Jason B.; Reeves, Gordon H.; Mills, Justin S.; Jordan, Chris E. 2012. Individual Condition And Stream Temperature Influences Early Maturation Of Rainbow And Steelhead Trout, Oncorhynchus Mykiss.
- Mills, Justin S.; Dunham, Jason B.; Reeves, Gordon H.; McMillan, John R.; Zimmerman, Christian E.; Jordan, Chris E. 2012. Variability In Expression Of Anadromy By Female Oncorhynchus Mykiss Within A River Network.
- Williams, Jack E.; Williams, Richard N.; Thurow, Russell F.; Elwell, Leah; Philipp, David P.; Harris, Fred A.; Kershner, Jeffrey L.; Martinez, Patrick J.; Miller, Dirk; Reeves, Gordon H.; Frissell, Christopher A.; Sedell, James R. 2011. Native Fish Conservation Areas: A Vision For Large-Scale Conservation Of Native Fish Communities.
- Reeves, Gordon H.; Sleeper, Jack D.; Lang, Dirk W. 2011. Seasonal Changes In Habitat Availability And The Distribution And Abundance Of Salmonids Along A Stream Gradient From Headwaters To Mouth In Coastal Oregon.
|Lipid Accumulation and Metabolic Rate Influence Steelhead versus Rainbow Trout Life History|
The salmonid species Oncorhynchus mykiss can become sea-going steelhead or freshwater rainbow trout. Scientists found that lipid accumulation an ...
|NetMap: A Tool Supporting Watershed Science and Resource Management|
The Willamette National Forest is using NetMap to prioritize road restoration and removal projects, and the Oregon Department of Forestry is usi ...
|Research Documents the Influence of Water Temperature on Life Histories of Rainbow Trout and Steelheads|
These studies reveal a suite of processes influencing life-history expression in salmonids. The influence of temperature on O. mykiss life histo ...