Supervisory Research Forester
1731 Research Park
Davis, CA 95618
Contact Greg McPherson
Dr. Greg McPherson is a Research Forester with the USDA Forest Service's Pacific Southwest Research Station located in Davis, CA, Greg grew up under a canopy of American elm trees in Howell, Michigan. Despite attempts to save the trees, all were lost to Dutch elm disease, and having felt the sting of that loss he became a green accountant, developing new methods and tools for quantifying the value of nature's benefits from city trees. He works with a team of scientists to measure and model effects of trees on energy use, urban heat islands, air pollutant uptake, carbon sequestration, and rainfall interception. Their research is helping justify investments in urban forest planning and management. In 2000 Greg received the International Society of Arboriculture's L.C. Chadwick Award for Research. Greg Chairs the Tree Growth and Longevity Working Group and serves on the California Urban Forest Council's Policy Advisory Committee. He attended University of Michigan (BGS), Utah State University (Masters in Landscape Architecture), and SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (Ph.D. Forestry).
Featured Publications & Products
- McPherson, E. Gregory; Xiao, Qingfu; Aguaron, Elena. 2013. A new approach to quantify and map carbon stored, sequestered and emissions avoided by urban forests.
- McPherson, E.Gregory; Kotow, Louren. 2013. A municipal forest report card: Results for California, USA.
- Aguaron, Elena; McPherson, E. Gregory. 2012. Comparison of methods for estimating carbon dioxide storage by Sacramento's urban forest.
- Young, Robert F.; McPherson, E. Gregory. 2013. Governing metropolitan green infrastructure in the United States.
- McPherson, E. Gregory; Peper, Paula J. 2012. Urban tree growth modeling.
- McPherson, E.G.; Simpson, J.R.; Xiao, Q.; Wu, C. 2011. Million trees Los Angeles canopy cover and benefit assessment.
Publications & Products
- Roman, Lara A.; McPherson, E. Gregory; Scharenbroch, Bryant C.; Bartens, Julia. 2013. Identifying common practices and challenges for local urban tree monitoring programs across the United States.
- Baldauf, Richard; McPherson, Greg; Wheaton, Linda; Zhang, Max; Cahill, Tom; Bailey, Chad; Hemphill Fuller, Christina; Withycombe, Eearl; Titus, Kori. 2013. Integrating vegetation and green infrastructure into sustainable transportation planning.
- McPherson, E. Gregory; Prince, Robert. 2013. Water scarcity and urban forest management: introduction.
- McPherson, Greg. 2012. Urban tree growth & longevity working group.
- McPherson, E.Gregory; Sharenbroch, Bryant C. 2012. Urban tree growth & longevity: Introduction.
- Soares, A.L.; Rego, F.C.; McPherson, E.G.; Simpson, J.R.; Peper, P.J.; Xiao, Q. 2011. Benefits and costs of street trees in Lisbon.
- Xiao, Qingfu; McPherson, Gregory. 2011. Performance of engineered soil and trees in a parking lot bioswale.
- McPherson, E. Gregory. 2011. Propelling arboriculture into the future.
- Xiao, Qingfu; McPherson, E. Gregory. 2011. Rainfall interception of three trees in Oakland, California.
- Baldauf, R.; Jackson, L.; Hagler, G.; Vlad, I.; McPherson, G.; Nowak, D.; Cahill, T.; Zhang, M.; Cook, R.; Bailey, C.; Wood, P. 2011. The role of vegetation in mitigating air quality impacts from traffic emissions.
- Simpson, J.R.; McPherson, E.G. 2011. The tree BVOC index.
- Peper, Paula J.; McPherson, E. Gregory; Simpson, James R.; Albers, Shannon N.; Xiao, Qingfu. 2010. Central Florida community tree guide: benefits, costs, and strategic planting.
- McPherson, E. Gregory; Simpson, James R.; Peper, Paula. J.; Crowell, Aaron M.N.; Xiao, Qingfu. 2010. Northern California coast community tree guide: benefits, costs, and strategic planting.
- McPherson, E.G. 2010. Selecting reference cities for i-Tree Streets.
- McPherson, E.G. 2010. Tools for valuing tree and park services.
- McPherson, E.G.; Ferrini, F. 2010. Trees are good, but….
- McPherson, E.G.; Young, R. 2010. Understanding the challenges of municipal tree planting.
- McPherson, E.G. 2009. Observing urban forests in Australia.
- McHale, M.R.; Burke, I.C.; Lefsky, M.A.; Peper, P.J.; McPherson, E.G. 2009. Urban forest biomass estimates: is it important to use allometric relationships developed specifically for urban trees? .
- Wua, Chunxia; Xiaoa, Qingfu; McPherson, Gregory E. 2008. A method for locating potential tree-planting sites in urban areas: a case study of Los Angeles, USA.
- McPherson, E.G. 2008. Urban forestry and carbon: what the reporting protocol means to you.
- McPherson, E. Gregory; Nowak, David; Heisler, Gordon; Grimmond, Sue; Souch, Catherine; Grant, Rich; Rowntree, Rowan. 1997. Quantifying urban forest structure, function, and value: the Chicago Urban Forest Climate Project.
- McPherson, E. Gregory. 1994. Cooling urban heat islands with sustainable landscapes.
- McPherson, Gregory E.; Nowak, David J.; Sacamano, Paul L.; Prichard, Scott E.; Makra, Edith M. 1993. Chicago's evolving urban forest: initial report of the Chicago Urban Forest Climate Project.
|Community Tree Guides Help Managers Show that Trees Pay Us Back|
The 16th and final Community Tree Guide was published for Central Florida based on research conducted in Orlando. Providing complete coverage of ...
|New Model Predicts Urban Tree Growth|
New study developed growth equations for urban tree species throughout the United States
|One Million Trees LA Canopy Cover Assessment|
The day after Antonio Villaraigosa was elected mayor of the City of Los Angeles he planted a tree and announced his plan to plant one million tr ...